I'm gonna melt you guys!
#134465 by danceswithchickens
Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:11 am
It should say something like this:

"This disc contains frequencies which extend into the subharmonic level. Please adjust your system to avoid damaging your speakers".

Reason being that this CD has the unusual distinction of containing a remarkable amount of information approaching or exceeding the lower range of human hearing. This can be very dangerous to speakers/subwoofers in bass-reflex (ported) enclosures, if a subsonic filter is not being used. On a regular system without a subwoofer, these frequencies only register as a low hum in the background, but on a subwoofer, they cause the air around you to shudder, as well as making your sub move like crazy...

Needless to say, this album isn't very good to listen to in a car. I only played the first track, but most of the detail way drowned out by the constant low-frequency sine waves. There is one frequency through out the first track that, at normal listening level, was uncomfortable on the ears in my car, not to mention that it also tickles your lungs and nostrils. Quite impressive!

#134532 by Tracy
Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:34 pm
Yes, there were a few times I ran downstairs and said "what the hell are you doing down here, my lungs are vibrating!". He adjusted it after that to make it less 'invasive'.

#134546 by black_tooth_grin
Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:41 pm
Tracy wrote:Yes, there were a few times I ran downstairs and said "what the hell are you doing down here, my lungs are vibrating!". He adjusted it after that to make it less 'invasive'.
Oh God!! That's hilarious. :P
Dev now has full control over our bowels...no wonder I haven't been feeling to well. :lol:

#134551 by hog
Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:25 pm
I made the mistake of listening to it in my car. I thought my car was breaking down but it was just the Hummer vibrations so its all good. Damn fine album btw :)

#134554 by JayjayAbnormal
Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:33 pm
All this talk makes me wanna play it on 500 subwoofers when I get it

#134556 by Goat
Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:43 pm
JayjayAbnormal wrote:All this talk makes me wanna play it on 500 subwoofers when I get it
And sitting on a potty in the middle. :lol:

#134568 by gurp13
Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:47 pm
I see a new warning sticker...

"Caution, album contains frequencies that may induce bowel movements and vomiting."

#134571 by Coma Divine
Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:19 pm
It turns out there's a phrase in ancient Olmec: hah er mah which translates roughly into:
"The Brown Note"...

:lol:

Or, I could just...well, you get the picture... :wink:

#134573 by A-Daamage
Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:52 pm
Well, Dev did mention, many times, that this album has a lot of low frequencies in the mix. And it was also mentioned, both here and on the CD itself, that it's meant to be listened to "when you have time and silence". Road noise from the tires outside the car and general noise in the outside world is going to greatly impede your ability to hear what's going on with this album.

It's a very QUIET album with a lot of low frequencies that are much more distinguishable on headphones in a virtually silent room. Get a good set of headphones (I have a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M40fs's), set an hour aside before bedtime, get everything done that needs to be done before then, put on comfortable sleepwear, isolate yourself from others, dim the lights or turn them off, sit in a comfortable chair or lie on your back in bed, hit play, and just drift. Don't concentrate on the music. Think about childhood, strange days long gone, your first kiss, the look of the sky on a gray fall day, etc.

Trust me, if you let it, this album will unravel the outskirts of your unconscious mind. Just don't make the mistake of listening to it. Let it be like the warm bath water you nestle into and allow it to envelop you.

#134574 by A-Daamage
Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:03 pm
Oh, a couple more things, before I forget: volume level and repeat.

Put in a different CD - Synchestra works nicely, as the opening guitar line is nice and up front - and turn the volume all the way down to zero. Then, with headphones on, nudge the volume up until you get sound coming from both sides, just enough to hear everything comfortably. The key thing is to keep the volume low, but still audible. When this is done, remove that CD and put in The Hummer. Place The Hummer on loop (or repeat; whatever you're working with). Now you may commence take off from reality.

Note: There will be times when you'll hear (or think you'll hear) almost nothing. JUST LET IT HAPPEN. Don't worry about it. Eventually your mind will begin drifting and you won't even notice anymore.

#134575 by fullgore
Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:04 am
you should be my sleep therapist

#134578 by sj_2150
Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:08 am
oh god this album seems incredible, relaxing, beautiful yet TERRIFYING!

#134585 by Eyesore
Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:54 am
Tracy wrote:Yes, there were a few times I ran downstairs and said "what the hell are you doing down here, my lungs are vibrating!". He adjusted it after that to make it less 'invasive'.

Haha. My subwoofer is sitting on a little desk bookshelf to right of me when I'm sitting at my desk; when I put this disc in this morning I felt a light breeze and my right eye started to water. Hahaha.

#134592 by djskrimp
Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:29 am
Im A Strapping Young Lad wrote:
Oh God!! That's hilarious. :P
Dev now has full control over our bowels...no wonder I haven't been feeling to well. :lol:

And people thought Eddie Van Halen had the brown sound....

HE he he

#134595 by Blazingmonga
Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:38 am
My room has a wooden floor, and is also the top floor of a small block of flats. When I first put this disc on, my subwoofer vibrated my entire flat. All the fiddling I had done previously to get my sub balanced just right was completely thrown out of the window.

Also, if I lay on my bed, the whole bed vibrates really well through the springs and the floor.

I have never been massaged by music before.