I'm gonna melt you guys!

#144344 by Intoc
Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:35 pm
Deathcom7000 wrote:
danceswithchickens wrote:
Deathcom7000 wrote:I think it's just Dev playing with his effects. We're probably just over looking things again. Lets avoid any booklet eating :wink:

I think you are over-simplifying. Devin himself said that the record took months to make. He obviously had a certain vibe that he was going for. Either that, or the albums ended up sounding this way by accident...take your pick...

Well he said the point was to help you sleep. That much I will say is true, and what he aimed for. But so much as a theme, I dont think so.

Nope, that's The Hummer. Devlab is not meant to help you sleep. It's meant to make you sick.

I love it though.

#144362 by Planet Rain
Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:56 pm
well like i say i havent heard it, tho i really want to
#144367 by cephalic sodomizer
Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:36 am
i would have to say that both ambient albums are aimed towards sleep or meditation. with devlab for one, it begins with an info-mercial and then starts to echoe and drone out into what sounds like a space ship. after which the conversation sounds something like
"welcome, come in, follow me screaming ?ghoulie? in the hallway. this is really awsome, all this machinery.....yes welcome......please something something, hand over the information. and if you you see here often...peace not war.....remember remember remember remember remember remember..............." i would think of chanting remember as to be helpful in remembering your dreams. but anyways from there it sounds like maybe some ocean machines or something. every single song in the first half of it and a few parts of the songs come in waves that build up and then sort of gently over lap with the next scene. the album also gradually sort of gets more mellow after track five or six. its like the whole first half of the album is meant to mind fuck you as hard as possible and ease up on you towards the end. plus the last track even starts with an alarm clock and a ghasp ending the whole dream.
perhaps the album is just a catalyst for some incredibly intense dreams. its definately themed around a dream and the way some of the outside noises are effecting it.
but like i said, i think they are both for sleep but just for different purposes. i dont believe devins purpose is to be correlated with an insane asylum or making you sick. but maybe dreaming with a crazy fever. he is definately playing with some of his toys on this one and god only knows what he is thinking. ........

#144379 by Biert
Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:11 am
Devlab is way to freaky (in places) to sleep to. And besides, the alarm clock at the end would ruin it big time :P

#144399 by danceswithchickens
Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:49 am
Yeah, how the hell can it help you sleep when there are many, many moments of full-out noise explosions? It's one of the noisiest CDs that I own...

#144403 by ASHORIZZOR
Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:04 am
danceswithchickens wrote:Yeah, how the hell can it help you sleep when there are many, many moments of full-out noise explosions? It's one of the noisiest CDs that I own...

I've tryed it several times and I said it before, after falling asleep I woke up around 20 minutes later in a puddle of my own sweat. My heart made some strange bumps and it scared the hell out of me.

I guess there is a point in saying "it's a noisy" record and I think my brain can't handle the fact even though I'm already in sleep/ a dream.

This record is really great but it's definetively nothing to hold you in sleep, at least for me. As I said the brain can't probably not handle the noisy mood of the record.

I guess you need: a strong "heart", a rather relaxed day, you have to be a
down to earth human or you such a guy who can have a nice dream even though there comes "Suffocations" - Human Waste out of your boxes/headphones!

I can not!

#144421 by Goat
Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:57 am
I have Suffocation's Human Waste, heh, haven't put it on for at least 15 years. Will today, cheers. I've slept to Devlab btw.

#144434 by Deathcom7000
Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:27 pm
Intoc wrote:
Deathcom7000 wrote:
danceswithchickens wrote:
Deathcom7000 wrote:I think it's just Dev playing with his effects. We're probably just over looking things again. Lets avoid any booklet eating :wink:

I think you are over-simplifying. Devin himself said that the record took months to make. He obviously had a certain vibe that he was going for. Either that, or the albums ended up sounding this way by accident...take your pick...

Well he said the point was to help you sleep. That much I will say is true, and what he aimed for. But so much as a theme, I dont think so.

Nope, that's The Hummer. Devlab is not meant to help you sleep. It's meant to make you sick.

I love it though.

Oh crap, sorry. Devlab though, yeah. I'd say it's some sort of theme then. I feel dumb :(

#146150 by Synthetic_Urination
Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:13 am
A little story about my experience with Devlab.

I was in a CD store, The Music Warehouse in Portland Oregon USA, and there was a BLACK CD with some plastic around it labeled as "Infinity". I bought it thinking it was infinity, for at the time I didn't really know Devin's work that well, only Strapping Young Lad. I listened to it, (after realizing that it wasn't infinity but devlab, something I've never heard about) for seven days straight. Sleeping and breathing it, there was something about it that made me want to listen.... I never really understood, but I had some of the most interesting experiences while listening to it. I also got out of the giant void that was I was stuck in at that part of my life. I don't know if the cd helped but I'm sure it couldn't have hurt.

After that week of Devlab and nothing else, I didn't listen to the Cd for about a year, I picked it back up and listened to it, and instantly it was like something ticked in the back of my head. That night, while listening to the cd, I had the same dreams as before, yet this time they were more mature...

I don't really feel like going in depth about the dreams seeing as they are personal but if you private message me maybe I'll talk a little.

I keep hearing people say this is for the insane and the ill, does that make me ill for getting better from it or was this the antidote I needed?