I'm gonna melt you guys!
#143813 by cephalic sodomizer
Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:07 pm
I've just been wondering if anybody has a solid description of what they think devlab is about. I have listened to the album a few hundred times, usually when I am going to sleep and I know it pretty well. It is hard to hear what is all being said through most of it but it seems that there is an overall idea or theme behind it...... Did I miss this topic somewhere? What the hell is an I'll melt you gun?

#143913 by Biert
Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:41 am
It's supposed to be the soundtrack to a nightmare, as far as I know.

#143966 by David Hardy
Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:54 pm
It sounds like a guided tour through hell.
#144030 by danceswithchickens
Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:25 am
cephalic sodomizer wrote:I've just been wondering if anybody has a solid description of what they think devlab is about. I have listened to the album a few hundred times, usually when I am going to sleep and I know it pretty well. It is hard to hear what is all being said through most of it but it seems that there is an overall idea or theme behind it...... Did I miss this topic somewhere? What the hell is an I'll melt you gun?

It's "hot melt glue gun".

#144070 by cephalic sodomizer
Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:05 pm
if devlab is what hell sounds like, hell must be a lot of fun. the album does'nt seem to me in any aspects evil or nightmarish, except for maybe that damned alarm clock..........it sounds to me like the second track is devin buying a spaceship from an alien after which he takes off into space. what the fuck this has to do with a gluegun i dont know. i know devins music is interpratable on many different levels but devlab continues to mistify me. is it just noise, am i just kicking a dead horse here trying to figure it out?

#144074 by ian_glanzman
Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:33 pm
I Believe That I Read Somewhere In This Fourm, Possibly By Dev, That The Album Had To Do With A Person Dreaming While They Had A Fever Of Some Sort.

I Take This Record As The Soundtrack To Someone Living In An Insane Asylum.

#144075 by Josiah Tobin
Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:43 pm
I Will Never Get Over The Constant Capitalization Of Each Word. *Twitch Twitch Twitch*
...sorry. :P
#144154 by cephalic sodomizer
Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:31 pm
okay, so for those of you interested, i got the idea for this off the forum somewhere. But if you are a devin fan and you own a copy of sychestra and devlab I highly suggest playing the two at the same time........ it creates a pretty strange experience. It definately adds an extra demension to the album and aside from the first track of devlab the rest all fits in pretty well. They are very harmonious together and it seems as if some signifigance fits in. Kind of reminds me of the wizard of oz and pink floyd affect. I am definately going to spend some time doing this with the other albums, it surely brings about some new curiosities. Check it out for yourself especially those of you that feel you have played synchestra out.

#144164 by Planet Rain
Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:52 am
i haven't heard devlab but it sounds interesting and from what i can gather its an electronic album possibly made by Townsend when experimenting with new computer software?

would this be true? what programs do you think he was using?

#144167 by gozu
Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:19 am
its more a collection of samples and recordings

#144213 by Deathcom7000
Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:36 pm
I think it's just Dev playing with his effects. We're probably just over looking things again. Lets avoid any booklet eating :wink:

#144248 by FeRG
Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:40 am
for a while i thought he was saying" im gunna melt you guys"

#144251 by Biert
Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:35 am
FeRG wrote:for a while i thought he was saying" im gunna melt you guys"

He does. There was some ad on tv for the kind of glue that you put in a sort of gun, that melts the glue and when it cools down it becomes solid again. They (I believe there were some DTB members present) were messing around with the ad, saying "Hot melt glue gun" and lateron "I'm gonna melt you guys".
I don't know where I read it though.

EDIT: Almost.

#144282 by danceswithchickens
Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:41 am
Deathcom7000 wrote:I think it's just Dev playing with his effects. We're probably just over looking things again. Lets avoid any booklet eating :wink:

I think you are over-simplifying. Devin himself said that the record took months to make. He obviously had a certain vibe that he was going for. Either that, or the albums ended up sounding this way by accident...take your pick...

#144340 by Deathcom7000
Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:43 pm
danceswithchickens wrote:
Deathcom7000 wrote:I think it's just Dev playing with his effects. We're probably just over looking things again. Lets avoid any booklet eating :wink:

I think you are over-simplifying. Devin himself said that the record took months to make. He obviously had a certain vibe that he was going for. Either that, or the albums ended up sounding this way by accident...take your pick...

Well he said the point was to help you sleep. That much I will say is true, and what he aimed for. But so much as a theme, I dont think so.