Talk about other artists here (even though they all rip off Meshuggah)
#280857 by izumix
Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:41 am
It's too difficult to select five...

Whitesnake - Slide It In - Devid Coverdale is one of my favorite singer.
Van Halen - 5150 - I like Sammy's Van Halen than Dave...
Kin-niku Shojo Tai - Sister Strawberry - Japanese cult band. Lyrics is strange world, guitar and piano battle sound is so exciting.
Megadeth - Symphony Of Destruction - Dave Mustaine is most influential person in my youth.
Devin Townsend Band - Accelerated Evolution - Davin is most influential person in my present.

Four albums except Devin, what I heard when I'm teens.
After I got married, got a child, I lost my father suddenly, Devin's music saved my heart of pain and changed my life.

Sorry not write sentences well, because of my poor English... haha.
#280866 by Anesthetize
Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:20 am
1.- Rush - Vapor Trails
2.- Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet
3.- Jeff Buckley - Grace
4.- Devin Townsend Project - Deconstruction/Ghost
5.- Rush - Moving Pictures
#280867 by aleksi
Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:53 am
Minor changes but changes anyway:

1. Korn - Issues
I'm a teenager, hear me roar! First cd I ever "found" and listened all the way through. I used to be obsessed with Korn.

2. Strapping Young Lad - Alien
"Yeah I like metal but most of the time metal singers and all the yelling makes me laugh". *a friend puts on Alien an hour after* "What the the f*ck is this!?!? Jesus Christ is the singer insane?"

3. Devin - Terria
Mainly Stagnant. I remember listening to it and literally feeling my mind bend to allow more mellow music in for once.

4. Mew - Frengers
...mellower and mellower... Words like "gay" disappear from my vocabulary when describing music.

5. Pendulum - Immersion
Those 3 times a year I go to clubs Pendulum helps.
#280913 by JuZ
Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:09 am
FINALLY got around to having a go at this.

Tried to make it a genuine list influential albums, rather than favourites. And there's no way I could do just five!

So, in order of discovery:

Queen - News of the World. Listened to this literally hundreds of times as a young kid, thanks to my Dad's collection of LPs. To this day I adore the warm, enveloping, analogue, echoing sound. The album lurches from stadium rock to frenetic punk to rock ballads to music for fucking to a ZZ Top inspired shuffle to a tropical break up song to a magnficent rock opera extravaganza to piano bar blues. Phew! Shows of the vocal skills of Brian and Roger too. Freddie sits on the throne of rock forever as its true king AND queen.

Deep Purple – Machine Head. Epic riffs and solos and all around amazing musicianship delivered via songwriting-on-the-fly. Again, every member is great at what they do here and are justifiably considered legends. Great back story to the album (as described in the lyrics of Smoke on the Water). Ian Gillan’s lyrics are often just silly and vague but his voice soars. This is bluesy balls-out rock for the sake of it. Still LOVE this album.

Sting – The Dream of the Blue Turtles. First album I bought on my own so it has to be here. What possessed me to buy THIS at the age of ten I have no idea but there are some interesting lyrical themes going on, Sting dabbles in a bit of “jazz” and Jesus wept, why did I buy this at TEN YEARS OF AGE!?!?

De La Soul – 3 Feet High and Rising. Showed me that Hip Hop could be clever, fun, catchy and that it was more than posturing and break dancing. Has a weird little game show soundbite/narrative running between the tracks that never made any sense to me. As I got older I understood the lyrics more and more and realised that behind the daisies and tie-dyes they actually had something to say.

Ok I’m rambling so I’ll keep the rest brief(ish).

NIN – The Downward Spiral. I had finished school, had no idea what to do with myself, hated or at least thought I hated most things, and this album sounded like I felt. I listened to Piggy relentlessly and Trent Reznor seemed like God to me.

Fear Factory – Demanufacture. First album with real blast beats I’d ever bought and it opened the doors of metal to me like nothing else could have. I’d started coming out of my funk by this stage and the magnificent, clinical aggression of this album fit me like a glove, even though on the outside I was as meek as a mouse. Felt like I was Superman after listening to this.

Underworld – Second Toughest in the Infants. Got into dance music and a bit of clubbing at around the same time as I got into metal. Weird. Anyway, this album made it accessible to me as it had the dynamics I was used to with other genres but still had a kicking bass and I could bounce around like a loon to it. Dubnobasswithmyheadman followed it into my collection soon afterwards.

Dev - Ocean Machine . I’ve prattled on and on about this album elsewhere. Best album I’ve ever heard. It blew my mind when I heard it (first track I ever heard was an mp3 of Greetings) and showed me what Dev had been up to since Sex & Religion, which I’d bought as a Vai fan. I loved S&R almost exclusively because of Devin and this album showed me why. A work of inspiration, grace and brilliance.

SYL – City. Favourite “metal” album. Heard Dev’s voice on All Hail and just couldn’t believe it. You know what I’m talking about. It’s the best. Just the best. RAAAAUUUAAAAARGH!
#280961 by fullgore
Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:13 pm
Korn - Issues
Must have been 12 or so when this came out. Really the beginning for me and music

Soilwork - Natural Born Chaos
The first time I realized heavy music can be beautiful; also my introduction to Devin Townsend.

Strapping Young Lad - City
This was me in high school. The only album that mattered to me. Turned me into a metalhead for a few years.

The Cure - Disintegration
I'm not sure why but at some point or another this became an important album for me and has stayed that way. Sounds like agonized love. Reminds me of all that I've experienced so far in my relatively short life

FNM - Angel Dust
This album kick started my diversification. I started to see past genre labels and just enjoyed what I enjoyed. Honorable mention to Disco Volante by Mr Bungle for the same reason.

edit: just fixed a typo
Last edited by fullgore on Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#281004 by Tonya Elf
Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:59 am
Skinny Puppy - Mind: the Perpetual Intercourse
Ministry: The Land of Rape and Honey
The Cure: Faith
Strapping Young Lad: City
Devin Townsend: Ocean Machine

Hmm. Only 5...tried to really narrow it down.
#281023 by Slatewoman
Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:16 am
JuZ wrote:
SYL – City. Favourite “metal” album. Heard Dev’s voice on All Hail and just couldn’t believe it. You know what I’m talking about. It’s the best. Just the best. RAAAAUUUAAAAARGH!

i just about shat myself when i first heard that track. i know *exactly* what you're talking about. one of those moments where you fully realize that your life has just changed.
#281042 by Octillus
Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:45 am
Slatewoman wrote:
JuZ wrote:

i just about shat myself when i first heard that track. i know *exactly* what you're talking about. one of those moments where you fully realize that your life has just changed.

Yep. Nearly 10 years ago for me at the height of my "mad at my dad" stage. Catharsis sure is nice.