Talk about other artists here (even though they all rip off Meshuggah)
#269639 by Octillus
Tue May 31, 2011 4:08 pm
I think it gets to a point where we care more about the classification of the music than the tunes themselves sometimes. But I've been slowly drifting away from the metal anyway.
#269640 by barackobaka
Tue May 31, 2011 4:22 pm
I think the popular bands are the best ones with this scene. Its definitely a pool of talent, but theres a bunch of second-rate ripoffs too.
Don't care much for or against the term itself either way. :)
#269642 by Abydost
Tue May 31, 2011 4:46 pm
While we all have lots of bands who influence still…we all rip off Meshuggah!

Lulululu. I haven't really gotten into the djent thing really. I love Meshuggah but I wouldn't consider them to be "djent". I like some Periphery but I always end up with having a problem with the vocalist or the production when it comes to djent music.
#269643 by AlucardXIX
Tue May 31, 2011 5:11 pm
Abydost wrote:While we all have lots of bands who influence still…we all rip off Meshuggah!

Lulululu. I haven't really gotten into the djent thing really. I love Meshuggah but I wouldn't consider them to be "djent". I like some Periphery but I always end up with having a problem with the vocalist or the production when it comes to djent music.

Sure bro, lets just call the band that started it and invented the term "djent" not djent... :| Let's also not call Metallica and Anthrax pioneers of thrash metal while we're at it, since they softened up anyways...especially Metallica. Now I'm just being a dick for the sake of being a dick.

barackobaka wrote:I think the popular bands are the best ones with this scene. Its definitely a pool of talent, but theres a bunch of second-rate ripoffs too.
Don't care much for or against the term itself either way. :)

That's true, there's a reason they are the popular bands, because they're good.
#269661 by Bookwyrm83
Tue May 31, 2011 9:09 pm
The only "djent" I listen to is Meshuggah. For some reason the other bands don't sound as interesting. Although I do get amusement from this Periphery shirt:

Yeah, djent as a genre term I find silly, although post-techinical-whatever does sound too quantitative (but that's happens when you have about 20 different types of metal). Meh.
#269669 by BrunoN
Tue May 31, 2011 11:07 pm
Abydost wrote:While we all have lots of bands who influence still…we all rip off Meshuggah!

I don't think anyone call Meshuggah djent, it's more all the post-Periphery bands I think.

We're all behind the times anyway - dubstep hate is current big thing on hate market.
#269670 by Bookwyrm83
Tue May 31, 2011 11:12 pm
Just remembered this quote from Dev:
...and the term 'djent' makes my asshole shrivel up.

just sayin...

If he read this particular thread, he'd have severe constipation for a long while. Nothing a little brown noise drone couldn't cure, though.
#269675 by mrbean667
Tue May 31, 2011 11:58 pm
Djent is a sound. Not a genre. Then some nerds decided to make a band which blatantly copied Meshuggah, then other idiots with 8-string guitars and Superior Drummer thought that it would be easy to copy the Shug. Now we have a 'djent' scene. It's sickening.

That said, there are some bands which add their own twist to the sound, like Periphery and Tesseract. They're alright.

/rant :wink:
#269680 by ChaosD.
Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:03 am
My dad is the same, everything from Blue Cheer and Led Zeppelin to Dying Fetus and Darkthrone is just Rock N Roll to him XD
#269681 by djskrimp
Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:53 am
You can call it "day glo ass plaster music" for all I care. If it's good, it's good. The only issue is the glut of shit bands that try to capitalize on a "hot trend". Oh well, there's always crabcore.
#269690 by AlucardXIX
Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:06 am
BrunoN wrote:

I don't think anyone call Meshuggah djent, it's more all the post-Periphery bands I think.

We're all behind the times anyway - dubstep hate is current big thing on hate market.

Yup, dubstep hate seems to be more rampant than ever.

People call my music djent...whatever. At least I actually do djent in some songs, so I can back it up!

I think the best thing to come of the whole djent movement are the Facebook communities. For the most part they are all very friendly and extremely supportive of artists. Even Dan's music gets posted by them!
#269776 by mrbean667
Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:37 am
I think the best thing to come of the whole djent movement are the Facebook communities. For the most part they are all very friendly and extremely supportive of artists. Even Dan's music gets posted by them!

Amen. It's probably because most djent bands are still up-and-coming, and that creates such a strong sense of community.
#269778 by mEh!
Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:09 am
I don't get why people hate the word "Djent". It's not that bad. I hate the word cosmetics but i don't bitch about it. Metal stood still for a good while and core was the only new big thing floating around. Djent/math metal of whatever you want to call it is new and awesome. Tell me i'm corny, I am a cornflake.
Bands. Tesseract, VIldhjarta, Uneven structure, Periphery, Textures, Volumes.
And yes Meshuggah is the mother of it all.
#269780 by ChaosD.
Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:40 am
To me Meshugga are the very essence of Djent. Its like not including Black Sabbath underneath the Heavy Metal bracket.
#269782 by AlucardXIX
Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:04 am
mEh! wrote:I don't get why people hate the word "Djent". It's not that bad. I hate the word cosmetics but i don't bitch about it. Metal stood still for a good while and core was the only new big thing floating around. Djent/math metal of whatever you want to call it is new and awesome. Tell me i'm corny, I am a cornflake.
Bands. Tesseract, VIldhjarta, Uneven structure, Periphery, Textures, Volumes.
And yes Meshuggah is the mother of it all.

I'm not one that exactly hates the word, I just don't like the idea of using it as the name for a genre.