Talk about other artists here (even though they all rip off Meshuggah)
#285657 by Maj_Bumper
Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:41 pm
So, i'm on a bit of a blues kick right now. The problem is, lately when i listen, i keep thinking "this could/should be heavier". I'm looking for some music that's dripping the blues, but it's been stewing in metal. If that makes any sense. Something like if "Gato" from Ki got together with Hendrix's "Red House".
Anytime I look online for something like this, I only find/am told to listen to AC/DC or Led Zep, that's not what i'm looking for. I suspect someone out there's making this music, and someone has a much better way to describe it. Any help?
#285659 by JuZ
Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:16 pm
If you find anything, please let me know. I'm keen to find the same sort of sound.

There have to be some southern US bands that play this sort of style, surely?
#285668 by mrbean667
Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:02 pm
JuZ wrote:If you find anything, please let me know. I'm keen to find the same sort of sound.

Mastodon is the only one I can think of, although Brent is more country-blues.

Jethro Tull's Aqualung has a bit of what you're looking for.

How heavy do you want it? There's stuff like King Crimson and Thin Lizzy, but they aren't particularly balls-out metal.

Chrome Division styles itself 'blues'n'roll', but I personally find them a little lame.

[youtube]btxWhDfJdMk[/youtube]
#285673 by kyl88
Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:52 pm
Oh, how I wish I could help, but...

I've yet to find a metal band/guitar player who doesn't suck balls at playing blues. :cry:

Of course, you'll get your metal guitar dorks who say that blues is simple, and dumb, and easy....
but there isn't a single metal player that I'm aware of that can play a simple 12-bar blues without sounding
like utter ass. Hell, you can teach a monkey how to play metal-I'm living proof- but you can't teach blues.

Either you can play it, or you can't. Period.

If you or anyone happens upon someone who can actually play metal/blues, PLEASE let me know!
I'm like you- I've been looking for the same thing for a long, long, time...

I would do it myself, but, as I've metioned, metal guys CAN'T play blues.

Good luck in your search, and if I ever find someone, I will certainly let you know. :)

Peace.
#285682 by Bookwyrm83
Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:04 pm
JuZ wrote:If you find anything, please let me know. I'm keen to find the same sort of sound.

Down and Corrosion Of Conformity (90's onwards) spring to mind. Old Black Sabbath as well.
There's also Motörhead:
[youtube]uJ7Voy9YK1I&ob[/youtube]
#285693 by JuZ
Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:26 pm
Dunkelheit wrote:do check out glorior belli's latest output "the great southern darkness"

Just had a listen to The Call Me Black Devil and it's pretty cool. Not a fan of the vocals though. Sounds like my uncle clearing his throat.

Don't mean to hijack the OP's thread though. Carry on!
#285694 by JuZ
Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:30 pm
mrbean667 wrote:

Mastodon is the only one I can think of, although Brent is more country-blues.

Jethro Tull's Aqualung has a bit of what you're looking for.

How heavy do you want it? There's stuff like King Crimson and Thin Lizzy, but they aren't particularly balls-out metal.

Chrome Division styles itself 'blues'n'roll', but I personally find them a little lame.

[youtube]btxWhDfJdMk[/youtube]

Fuck it I'm gonna hijack it, HA!

That reminded me a little of this, which I would very much like a whole album of. Someone tell Dave and Lemmy to hang out together more often:

[youtube]T09hBGGpSjk[/youtube]

Good call on Mastodon - Brent definitely has a bluesy style going on, which is one of the reasons I love the bastards so much.
#285709 by JuZ
Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:44 pm
Ok I'm liking this thread a lot right now. Sorry for spamming it so hard.

One of the best bands ever, big early influence on metal and they themselves were pretty obviously influenced by blues musicians:

[youtube]uvwRdxyfPWA&feature=related[/youtube]
#285711 by mrbean667
Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:20 pm
DP are truly amazing. Ritchie has influenced almost every good metal guitar player on this earth.
#285722 by HevyMinik
Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:29 am
Orange Goblin!
#285728 by Bookwyrm83
Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:54 am
Monster Magnet also have some bluesy songs.