Talk about other artists here (even though they all rip off Meshuggah)
#290341 by Dunkelheit
Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:03 am
havent started a thread in a while. anyway

TIME FOR SOME MOTHERFUCKING LISTS

in no particular order

ulcerate - the destroyers of all
hate eternal - phoenix amongst the ashes
fleshgod apocalypse - agony
anaal nathrakh - passion
blood red throne - brutalitarian regime
blut aus nord - 777 (sect(s) - the desanctification)
cold cave - cherish the light years
com truise - galactic melt
craft - void
deicide - to hell with god
demonaz - march of the gods
dev - decon
disiplin - radikale randgruppe
ics vortex - the stormseeker
m83 - hurry up we're dreaming
marcin wasilewski trio - faithful
mitochondrion - parasignosis
my dying bride - evinta
nader sadek - in the flesh
origin - entity
puscifer - conditions of my parole
the kilimanjaro darkjazz ensemble - from the stairwell
the konsortium - s/t
vallenfyre - a fragile king
young galaxy - shapeshifting

disappointments

ulver - wars of the roses
opeth - heritage

(ps, if there is a thread like this already, spare me, i dont care)
#290342 by Faffy
Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:16 am
THIS HAS BEEN THE MOST BITCHIN' YEAR MUSIC-WISE EVER!. Yeah. Luvin' tha alphabet:

Devin Townsend Project - Deconstruction - Loved it
Devin Townsend Project - Ghost - Loved it
Devin Townsend - Unplugged - Aaaahhhhhh
Evanescence - Evanescence - Loved it
Marit Larsen - Spark - Needs some more listening, but so far so good
Nightwish - Imaginaerum - Same as above, but heeeeey, it's Nightwish :3
Opeth - Heritage - Didn't really grasp me, but it's nice listening
Pain of Salvation - Road Salt Two - Needs more listening, but yeah.. I like it!
Shining - Live Blackjazz - Bitchin'!
Unexpect - Fables of the Sleepless Empire - Needs more listening, but I think this is their best album
Within Temptation - The Unforgiving - Epic
Last edited by Faffy on Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
#290344 by djskrimp
Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:20 am
(There isn't another thread of this yet, but I DO care. ABout you. 'Cause yer FIT as all hell!)

Anthrax "Worship Music"
Circles "The Compass"
Cynic "Carbon Based Anatomy"
Dark New Day "Hail Mary"
Dead Letter Circus "This is the Warning"
Decapitated "Circus is Forever"
Devil Driver "Beast"
The Human Abstract "Digital Veil"
The Haunted "The Unseen" (Fuck it, I liked it.)
The Interbeing "Edge of the Obscure"
Protest the Hero "Scurrilous"
Skindred "Union Black"
Tesseract "One"
Textures "Dualism"
Uneven Structure "Februus"
Xerath "II"
3 "The Ghost You Gave to Me"

It goes without needing to be said that the Dev output also falls under the "best of 2011" category.
#290345 by Dunkelheit
Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:23 am
djskrimp wrote:(There isn't another thread of this yet, but I DO care. ABout you. 'Cause yer FIT as all hell!)

The Haunted "The Unseen" (Fuck it, I liked it.)

It goes without needing to be said that the Dev output also falls under the "best of 2011" category.

oh shiet i forgot the haunted i loved the unseen as well

<3
#290350 by BlueRaja
Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:44 am
Foo Fighters – Wasting Light
Black Country Communion - 2
Mastodon – The Hunter
Opeth – Heritage
Textures – Dualism
Sixx A.M. – This Is Gonna Hurt
Incubus – If Not Now, When?
Radiohead - The King of Limbs
Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events

The new Anthrax is also quite good, but I've only listened once. Same with the new Nightwish.
#290351 by stubear280
Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:45 am
Dev-Decon/Ghost/Unplugged
Mastodon-The Hunter
Cloudkicker- Let Yourself Be Huge
Tom Waits-Bad as Me
3-The Ghost That you Gave to Me
Psychostick- Space Vampires Vs. Zombie Dinosaurs in 3D!
Opeth-Heritage
Fleet Foxes- Helplessness Blues
Omnium Gatherum-New World Shadows
Ghost Brigade-Until Fear no Longer Defines Us

I feel like I'm forgetting something...
#290352 by fragility
Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:53 am
1. DTP - Deconstruction
So, I've been completely unable to chose which is my favourite out of Decon and Ghost but the whole point of these lists is trying to place some sort of ranking to something that's entirely subjective so a decision had to be made as to which I thought was "best". For me, it comes down to the fact that I don't think there is anyone else on earth who could have pulled off this album.

2. DTP - Ghost
Like I said, in terms of favourites, it was a dead tie. Ghost has been so personally relevant for me this year, it's a real matter of love for me.

3. 22 - Plastik (EP)
The first of several entries in this list that cheats a bit by using songs from releases from a previous year but my god, this has just been a mainstay of my listening this year. Technical, catchy, and a sensational live band

4. 22 - Kneel Estate (EP)
Not as good a unit as Plastik, but still more awesomeness from 22.

5. Tesseract - One
Again, we'd heard loads of it before, and having been waiting for this for like 8 years, it could easily have been a let down, but it's top notch.

6. Opeth - Heritage
Opeth prove once again why they are at the top of their game. To be releasing albums that continue to be interesting, and brilliant after this length of time is impressive

7. Pain of Salvation - Road Salt Two
I LOVE RS1, I don't love RS2 anywhere near as much, but I can't argue it's top quality

8. Between the Buried and Me - The Parallax: Hypersleep Dialogues
Another band who manage to surprise and interest me with every release

9. Xerath - II
I didn't find it as immediate as I, but once it grew on me, it was there for good

10. Cynic - Carbon Based Anatomy
I really don't want to put this on here given the tiny amount of new proper music on there, but what there is, is awesome.

Someone's going to mention something I've completely forgotten here that might change this, but hey ho

Gigs of the year
1. Devin Townsend - Unplugged - 10/08/11 - Southampton Talking Heads
The stars just aligned for me on that night, my birthday, 20 miles away, got my request played (thanks Mum for the tall genes and the short fellas stood in front of me who put me right in Devin's eye-line!)
2. DTP - Ghost - 13/11/11 - Union Chapel
Stunning show, one of the greatest musical experiences of my life!
3. DTP - Deconstruction - 12/11/11 - ULU
Again, there won't be another show like it, simply epic!
4. DTP - Ki - 10/11/11 - ULU
Apart from the arseholes who felt the need to talk through the whole sodding thing, it was an amazing, special night
5. DTP - Addicted - 11/11/11 - ULU
Last of the 4 shows, not because it wasn't as good, but it was just the most like a regular gig from my perspective
6. DTP - Southampton Uni
I love this venue, great crowd, great music, left my with a huge smile on my face despite the awful cough I had
7. 22 - 16/11/11 - Southampton Joiners
Finally got to saw them live and despite the massive building up of expectations, I was not disappointed. Hadn't heard Arcane Roots before but they were a great live band
8. Tesseract (League of extraordinary Djentlement Tour with Periphery and Monuments)....Feb I think, Wedgewood Rooms Portsmouth
It's such a shame that Dan's gone because those pipes blew me away live!
9. Textures + The Ocean + Aliases - 24/11/11 - Southampton Joiners
Ridiculously good line up, I hate this venue though
10. Atheist....London....can't remember where it was
Great performance by Atheist....awful venue

Surprises of the year:
- The fact that Ulver released an album that was not near the top of my "best of" list
- That Dredg released and album that I wouldn't even bother buying
- That Mastodon would release an album that wouldn't even make it. In terms of quality and respect for what they've done, it's way up there, but there are some bits on it that inexplicably annoy me to the point where i had to stop listening to it as other Mastodon albums I love were getting on my nerves in the same way
#290362 by Liampie
Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:02 pm
2011 is weird, because with a decent harvest of new albums I just cannot decide which one I enjoy most.

The Harvest of 2011:

Alestorm - Back Through Time: I don't know any other band that is this much fun, in the literal sense of the word. I love this album and this band. Christopher Bowes is a genius.

Devin Townsend Project - Deconstruction: slightly too heavy for my likings, but when I'm in the right mood and love this album for the largest part.

Devin Townsend Project - Ghost: not really my genre, but I love the tranquil atmosphere and positive vibe here. And it has Dev's magic.

Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events: strongest DT album since at least Train of Thought, with Bridges in the Sky being the best DT song since Octavarium. Great surprise, and Mike Portnoy leaving is the best thing that could've happened to DT.

Symphony X - Iconoclast: Whereas most bands grow up as they get older, Symphony X gets more juvenile and aggresive. Symphony X is no more progressive metal with class. Still enjoyable though, I admit, and the old Symphony X I love so much is audible for a moment every now and then. I know they're not dead but something has to happen with the song writing.

Nightwish - Imaginaerum: not even half as good as the old Nightwish albums (Oceanborn - Century Child was incredible), and there's more orchestra than band... I hate how Tuomas uses Nightwish as a vehicle to write film scores consisting of orchestra with a metal rhytm section. Where's the band!!?? What happened to the keybaords? Shame, shame. Although it's not Nigthwish as it should be, there are some seriously awesome things on this album.

Edguy - Age of the Joker: quite fun, but nothing special and a tad boring as well. Typical Edguy stuff.

asfgfa - Beef: this is fun shit that I seriously enjoy, but comparing it to the albums above would be an insult.

I could've added Yes and Opeth but I haven't listened enough of those albums yet... Doubt it'll happen though. Heritage drags and is just not my style and Fly From Here just can't hold my attention for very long except for Fly From Here Part III: Madman at the Screens which is great.

Best album would be Back Through Time, Deconstruction, Ghost, A Dramatic Turn of Events or Iconoclast. Yeah, five albums at #1. Imaginaerum would be #6, and everything after #7 is not very important. Best songs are:
- Alestorm - Death Throes of the Terrorsquid: amazing! I even don't mind the two minutes death metal part because the rest of the song is so awesome)
- Symphony X - Reign in Madness: one of the few songs where the keyboards play a role larger than just an intro, a solo or atmospheric chords in the background. Some guitar parts that almost kill the song, but overall this is really good and a proof that Symphony X still has SOME class.
- Dream Theater - Bridges in the Sky: "Sun! Come shine my way!" Woah, beautiful. Every single second of this song is. Masterpiece!
- Feather: So beautiful.
- Nightwish - Scaretale: yes!!!! An original song with actual surprises! Great from start to finish, I wish the whole album was this good.

Can't pick one, and that's so not-me-style. I apologize...
#290365 by Octillus
Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:12 pm
Dev, Dev, Dev, and The Hunter.

Nothing else that's been released this year has really spoke to me.
#290368 by fragility
Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:15 pm
I've got to say, given the number of big bands releasing stuff this year, I thought it was going to be an amazing year, but it didn't end up quite as amazing as I hoped...there hasn't been enough great heavy stuff either
#290370 by Octillus
Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:17 pm
fragility wrote:I've got to say, given the number of big bands releasing stuff this year, I thought it was going to be an amazing year, but it didn't end up quite as amazing as I hoped...there hasn't been enough great heavy stuff either

I'm agreeing, and also, it's a weird time for me because the legacy acts keep releasing stuff that isn't embarrassing (I'm talking Megadeth and Anthrax here) but I also don't really care, whereas a lot of the new shit is either faux-black metal or most of the technical stuff that I don't particularly care for.

I liked the two albums my roommates put out this year... I guess?
#290373 by Abydost
Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:27 pm
I thought Faceless and Meshuggah would release their new albums this year so that was a disappointment. Other than that I've remained quite neutral in my musicloving thoughts, apart from the usual Dev. The new Opeth, Decapitated, Ulver and the EPs Reso has released. Meh. Ghost really stands out for me though.
#290375 by Biert
Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:31 pm
Alestorm - Back Through Time
Aliases - Safer Than Reality
Amatorski - TBC
Amplifier - The Octopus
And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead - Tao Of The Dead
Between The Buried And Me - The Parallax: Hypersleep Dialogues
Chaos Divine - The Human Connection
Codes In The Clouds - As The Spirit Wanes
Colossa - Born To Make A Sound
Devin Townsend Project - Ghost
Djerv - Djerv
Foo Fighters - Wasting Light
Ghost Brigade - Until Fear No Longer Defines Us
Houses - Clean Life
Nils Frahm - Felt
Ólafur Arnalds - Living Room Songs
Opeth - Heritage
Seasick Steve - You Can't Teach An Old Dog New Tricks
Shadowboxer - Two Cities
Shining - Live Blackjazz
Textures - Dualism
The Omega Experiment - Karma
Thomas Giles - Pulse

But there's sooo much stuff that I need to listen to more, that may end up on my eventual Best Of 2011 list when it's compiled in 2015.
#290382 by Octillus
Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:42 pm
Biert wrote:Amplifier - The Octopus

2010, yo, otherwise I would've added it.

Oh yeah, Dan's stuff too

And Weerd Science - Sick Kids