Talk about other artists here (even though they all rip off Meshuggah)
#291072 by sylkicks
Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:57 am
Well I thought about it and I guess the only movie I can think of that feels really special this year is Tree of Life. Bogs down in about the last quarter but otherwise very good. Other movies I liked this year like some of the ones you posted Octillus but not ones that are good enough that I feel like declaring best of or anything.

Film major talking...
#291074 by Octillus
Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:04 am
sylkicks wrote:Well I thought about it and I guess the only movie I can think of that feels really special this year is Tree of Life. Bogs down in about the last quarter but otherwise very good. Other movies I liked this year like some of the ones you posted Octillus but not ones that are good enough that I feel like declaring best of or anything.

Film major talking...

Did you see The Trip? That one's pretty fucking good.

And you're a major, I just happen to have a degree already :D.

And you're right, there's nothing special about anything I've seen this year, and the Oscar bait this year seems especially pander-y
#291078 by sylkicks
Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:31 am
I actually haven't, or the Muppets, which I REALLY fucking want to see. Maybe the issue is that I've had hardly any time to go to movies this year lol.

Haha no, by that I didn't mean I know more than you, by that I mean I'm a film snob as my friends constantly like to point. Friends: "Sean, why didn't you like G.I. Joe? It was awesome! So much action and explosions and stuff!" Me: "ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME."

Yeah I agree with that. I really want to see J. Edgar but that one feels pretty pander-y.
#291082 by Octillus
Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:40 am
My week with Marilyn, regardless of how good it is, is the most oscary of oscar bait I've seen outside of ones dealing with racial issues or something to do with British royalty.
#291100 by Wander
Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:19 pm
Dunkelheit wrote:fucking stop everything

just heard new tenhi

BAM

I know, right?
#291104 by CutManMetal
Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:41 pm
Let's seeee....

Devin Townsend Project - Deconstruction
Devin Townsend Project - Ghost
Haken - Visions
Leprous - Bilateral
Protest The Hero - Scurrilous
Foo Fighters - Wasting Light
The Black Dahlia Murder - Ritual
Opeth - Heritage
Unexpect - Fables of The Sleepless Empire
Amplifier - The Octopus
Myrath - Tales Of The Sands
Cage The Elephant - Thank You, Happy Birthday
Panic! at The Disco - Vices & Virtues

Not really ordered, though I did put Deconstruction and Ghost first for a reason. These are what came to mind. And I know the last two, or just the last one, could render me totally uncool. But, hey.
#291238 by JuZ
Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:33 am
Oh ffs, I forgot my favourite album of the year:

Tedeschi Trucks Band - Revelator

I don't care that I'm of their vintage, I want Derek Trucks and Susan Tedeschi to adopt me.
#291270 by Bookwyrm83
Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:03 am
Final top 11 music list:
1. DTP - Deconstruction & Ghost
2. Hate Eternal - Phoenix Amongst the Ashes
3. Loss - Despond
4. Blut Aus Nord - 777 Sect(s)
5. Novembers Doom - Aphotic
6. Macabre - Grim Scary Tales
7. Demonaz - March of the Norse
8. In Malice's Wake - The Thrashening
9. Týr - The Lay of Thrym
10. Alestorm - Back Through Time
11. Vader - Welcome to the Morbid Reich

Top 5 films:
Melancholia
Hobo With a Shotgun
Snowtown
13 Assassins
Black Swan
#291275 by sylkicks
Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:48 am
Black Swan was 2010 was it not?
#291317 by EphelDuath666
Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:29 pm
Bookwyrm83 wrote:6. Macabre - Grim Scary Tales

I love you for loving Macabre!
#291341 by Bookwyrm83
Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:52 pm
EphelDuath666 wrote:
Bookwyrm83 wrote:6. Macabre - Grim Scary Tales

I love you for loving Macabre!

:guitar:

sylkicks wrote:Black Swan was 2010 was it not?

For the US, but it got released here in January this year, so it still counts (we're a few months behind in most things).
#291399 by fullgore
Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:41 pm
sylkicks wrote: Tree of Life

I think I liked it. I wasn't in the right frame of mind when I saw it, to just accept and embrace whatever comes next. The 20 minutes of visuals near the beginning of the movie made me want to turn it off but an hour into the movie I was finally able to start appreciating the filmmaking.
#291402 by fullgore
Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:49 pm
JuZ wrote:
fullgore wrote:I didn't realize the extent at which my taste in music was at odds with most people on this forum! Yikes!

Nah, looking at that list I can tell you you're not alone at all. :D
Well, that's good. For the record, I've had some time to digest the new The Roots album and I think it might be their best album in the last decade. Definitely check it out when you get the chance.

Hip hop/rap is difficult for me, I usually have to listen to a track multiple times to understand what is being said. In this case its a concept album and the theme of the protagonist's downward spiral encompasses the whole album so I really had to sit with it on repeat for a while to get at the meat of the music.
#291406 by CutManMetal
Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:26 pm
fullgore wrote:letlive - Fake History

Nah, you're not alone. I'd put this on my list, too, I just forgot. Fantastic album.

I also enjoy Thursday, but not the latest enough to put it on here. Had War All The Time been released this year, though...