Talk about other artists here (even though they all rip off Meshuggah)
#296178 by Bookwyrm83
Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:53 am
Billy Rhomboid wrote:On a simlar note, is tehre any Symphonic Black Metal (or Symphonic Metal at all) that isn't shit? Or is 'Symphonic' a euphemism for shit in the context of metal?

For symphonic black, Emperor and Summoning get my vote there, and maybe the first couple of Dimmu Borgir's albums. Hellspawn weren't bad either, despite having only one album.
Leaves' Eyes are pretty much the only non-black symphonic band I really like, though there are times when Alex Krull's harsh vocals don't work as well as they should (mainly on the Njord album).
#296189 by Dunkelheit
Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:46 am
Bookwyrm83 wrote:
Billy Rhomboid wrote:On a simlar note, is tehre any Symphonic Black Metal (or Symphonic Metal at all) that isn't shit? Or is 'Symphonic' a euphemism for shit in the context of metal?

For symphonic black, Emperor and Summoning get my vote there, and maybe the first couple of Dimmu Borgir's albums. Hellspawn weren't bad either, despite having only one album.
Leaves' Eyes are pretty much the only non-black symphonic band I really like, though there are times when Alex Krull's harsh vocals don't work as well as they should (mainly on the Njord album).

to be succinct

Limbonic Art - Moon In The Scorpio (actually their 4 first albums are masterpieces)
Lord Belial - Enter the Moonlight Gate
Borknagar - Quintessence (not quite sbm and also im sure youre familiar with it!)
Old Man's Child - The Pagan Prosperity
Gehenna - First Spell
Unmoored - Indefinite Soul-Extension (THIS is the shit, one of Christian
#296190 by Octillus
Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:47 am
Emperor for sure.

I always will have a soft spot for Dimmu through Death Cult from my angry agro teenage years :P
#296194 by Dunkelheit
Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:53 am
Octillus wrote:Emperor for sure.

I always will have a soft spot for Dimmu through Death Cult from my angry agro teenage years :P

always loved dimmu and always will, no matter how cheesy they are nowadays

also! im gonna go see them next wednesday :D

whatever ungodly force drove them to play in this lifeless shithole, i know not, but i am thankful
#296214 by EphelDuath666
Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:12 pm
on top of everything that has already been mentioned

[youtube]AxpUQK7-2qQ[/youtube]
#296224 by Billy Rhomboid
Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:49 am
Thanks Guys and Gals. I knew I could count on you to point me in some good directions. Some interesting stuff there to explore.

I can't get Dimmu I'm afraid. I think that's one you had to be there at the right time and age for.
#296249 by Octillus
Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:02 pm
Billy Rhomboid wrote:I can't get Dimmu I'm afraid. I think that's one you had to be there at the right time and age for.

Absolutely.
#296439 by Aden
Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:21 am
I'd like to post some Turisas, but I can't decide which songs. You've probably already heard them anyway, and they're not so much folk metal (more symphonic nowadays), but I think they're good.

I fell in love with the first album, took a little while to love the second being more symphonic etc. - but did eventually, and then my Turisas phase faded. Then I bought the newest album for old times sake, not expecting to think much of it (after listening to a track off it it which I found a bit boring at first), wasn't massively fussed about it first time round but felt a weird desire to still want to listen to it a few times over, and now I love that album too, possibly more than any other right now.

It has some sort of stadium-rock influence on it too, makes it almost feel like some kind of ancient battle theatre/pantomime re-enactment. I think it's good anyways.

Something from the 1st album:
[youtube]qrMftLBEdOk[/youtube]

Something from the 2nd album:
[youtube]6pgemQnqsk8[/youtube]

Something from the 3rd album:
[youtube]1-YDCvHQ64Q[/youtube]

Probably not the best examples, and the tracks on the albums vary too much between to give a good example of the band in 3 songs. You gotta listen to the full albums to get a real idea of them. Those three are probably among the more generic - they have all kinds of other moments like... elevator style jazz interludes... epic disney orchestration... electronic/programmed beats n bits...

They're probably seen as the "mainstream" or "bandwithallthe16yearoldkidsforfans" band among folk/viking metal world, but if you only care about the music, I think they can write some great songs.
#296464 by NamasteLikeBender
Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:57 am
[youtube]LGPbluczEfo[/youtube]

Can't figure out this youtube coding shit to save my life, but this is a band called Obtest. Not exactly a folk metal band, although some have labeled them as such, but it's still awesome.

Larsenberg's edit: Fixed that for ya.
here's how it works http://www.hevydevyforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10688
#296534 by vt1100
Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:55 am
Just slight off-topic, about Turisas. Saturday 18.2. at Finnish Metal Expo Turisas received some nice accolades in a form of Finnish Metal Award prize in following categories:
-Band of the year
-Album of the year
-Best singer
-Best album cover art
And these are based on votes given by fans, not some record company sales boost campaign. Well deserved.
#296598 by Tonya Elf
Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:50 am
EphelDuath666 wrote:on top of everything that has already been mentioned

[youtube]AxpUQK7-2qQ[/youtube]

Just saw Abigail Williams 2 weeks ago in Portland - they were really great, much better than the first time I saw them.

What about Finntroll? For folk metal?

[youtube]yxmtbUf9nlI[/youtube]
#296691 by NamasteLikeBender
Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:09 pm
vt1100 wrote:Just slight off-topic, about Turisas. Saturday 18.2. at Finnish Metal Expo Turisas received some nice accolades in a form of Finnish Metal Award prize in following categories:
-Band of the year
-Album of the year
-Best singer
-Best album cover art
And these are based on votes given by fans, not some record company sales boost campaign. Well deserved.

I was there. They put on a good show AND they signed a postcard and a copy of their CD I bought just for this occasion. FME was a blast (I'm from the US, and I'm studying here).
#296810 by Muttley
Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:13 am
No love for Skyclad?

[youtube]OZ2iileann4[/youtube]

[youtube]nD9zi_WliSA[/youtube]

[youtube]Ict13GL33q8[/youtube]

One of the great pioneers...