Talk about other artists here (even though they all rip off Meshuggah)
#314113 by hog
Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:18 pm
Vanatis- Annal Nathrakh

Epicloud and Epiclouder- DTP

Enslaved- Riittiir

Paradise Lost- Tragic Idol

Gojira- sausage album.

Let down of the year has to go to Fear Factory.
#314129 by Marijn
Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:03 am
I think nobody mentioned it so far, but the best 2012 album is:

1. Epica - Requiem For The Indifferent

After that, I can add this to my top five:

2. DTP - Epicloud
3. Arjen Lucassen - Lost In The New Real
4. Ensiferum - Unsung Heroes
5. Heidevolk - Batavi

I just realised: There are three Dutch acts in my top five, but they really did an amazing job this year! Epica really amazed me with a fantastic album. They are still getting better with each album they make. Epicloud is a very good second, but could not convince me enough. Sorry, Devin... :)
#314134 by pandemic
Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:36 pm
djskrimp wrote:
pandemic wrote:yea in the end ..i (we) don't know shit

Speak for yourself. I'm pretty damned omniscient. In fact, if there were to be two omnisciences, I'd be bo..... :shock:

boobs?
#314135 by pandemic
Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:38 pm
hog wrote:Let down of the year has to go to Fear Factory.

i agree with you 200% on that one. don't understand why people praised it as their best since demanufactured
#314139 by Bookwyrm83
Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:06 pm
I thought the new Fear Factory was good, however pretty ordinary compared to their first few albums.
#314281 by BlueRaja
Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:39 pm
I especially liked:
Soundgarden - King Animal
Anathema - Weather Systems
Jack White - Blunderbuss
Deftones - Koi No Yokan
The Cult - Choice of Weapon
John 5 - God Told Me To
Testament - Dark Roots of Earth

Pretty good: Tremonti, Slash, The Darkness, Dev, Rush, Meshuggah, Gojira, Black Light Burns, Storm Corrosion. I'm probably forgetting others.
#314295 by Liampie
Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:33 am
After months of debating, I settled with Threshold's March of Progress as my #1. Combined with Epicloud being a minor disappoint (I expected more 'romantic ethereal stuff'), March of Progress is more consistent than Epicloud, and thus worthy of the top spot. Epicloud and Epiclouder both share the second place; I cannot decide which disc I like better.

1. Threshold - March of Progress (8/10)
2. The Devin Townsend Project - Epicloud (7,5/10)
2. The Devin Townsend Project - Epiclouder (7,5/10)
4. Arjen Anthony Lucassen - Lost in the New Real (7/10)
5. Circus Maximus - Nine (6,5/10)
5. Epica - Requiem for the Indifferent (6,5/10)
7. Sonata Arctica - Stones Grow Her Name (5/10) (disappointment of the year)

Other albums I downloaded that I haven't heard enough to list them:
- Flying Colors- Flying Colors (meh)
- Delain - We Are the Others (didn't grab me when it had the chance)
- Muse - The 2nd Law (didn't grab me when it had the chance. could've been so much more)
- Heidevolk - Batavi (no more ridiculous funny folk stuff, but screaming and double basses all over the place. too serious)
- Therion - Les Fleurs Du Mal (not my taste)
- Katatonia - Dead End Kings (haven't listened yet)

It was an okay year. Not too many releases, but enough to keep me busy. Three great albums is still three great albums.
#314381 by izumix
Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:22 am
I've managed to choose the best album of 2012.

Devin Townsend Project - Epicloud
Napalm Death - Utilitarian
JK Flesh - Posthuman
Cryptopsy - Cryptopsy
Focus - X
Anathema - Weather Systems
Enter Shikari - A Flash Flood Of Colour
Diablo Swing Orchestra - Pandora's Pinata
Ihsahn - Eremita
Jef Loomis - Plains of Oblivion
#314404 by LicoriceLain
Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:35 pm
Bookwyrm83 wrote:I thought the new Fear Factory was good, however pretty ordinary compared to their first few albums.

The problem with FF is that they had so many standout make it songs on their first three records that their recent work while good just sounds too ordinary. "Christploitation" was the last track that I genuinely loved. Industrialist, while being a good album, falls short as a Fear Factory album. Just like that one 7 years ago...
#314405 by LicoriceLain
Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:39 pm
Liampie wrote:After months of debating, I settled with Threshold's March of Progress as my #1. Combined with Epicloud being a minor disappoint (I expected more 'romantic ethereal stuff'), March of Progress is more consistent than Epicloud, and thus worthy of the top spot. Epicloud and Epiclouder both share the second place; I cannot decide which disc I like better.

1. Threshold - March of Progress (8/10)
2. The Devin Townsend Project - Epicloud (7,5/10)
2. The Devin Townsend Project - Epiclouder (7,5/10)
4. Arjen Anthony Lucassen - Lost in the New Real (7/10)
5. Circus Maximus - Nine (6,5/10)
5. Epica - Requiem for the Indifferent (6,5/10)
7. Sonata Arctica - Stones Grow Her Name (5/10) (disappointment of the year)

That is your top list? Did you not listen to anything the whole year? :O I don't know you guys. Part of the reason barely any metal is in my top list is because I listened to so much stuff and and a lot of far outshined the metal music this year.
#314422 by swervedriver
Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:13 am
Actually my number 1 is Gangnam Style, but I'm just afraid to admit it.
#314432 by Bookwyrm83
Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:34 am
^It's my number 1 "God I hate this fucking song" of 2012. :P

On a Devin-related note, Epicloud made #4 on my favorite metal show's top ten. The host played Save Our Now to showcase the album; kinda funny as that was the last song I expected him to play. :)
#314437 by LicoriceLain
Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:26 am
Bookwyrm83 wrote:^It's my number 1 "God I hate this fucking song" of 2012. :P

Oh come now. Out of all the pop songs to come out in 2012, it is one of the most enjoyable.

I am peeved that Gotye is only known for "Somebody that I used to know". Out of all of his great songs, they choose the bland song that you can't even hear what he is saying for half the song.
#314443 by fragility
Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:31 am
Well, there has been a bucketload of new music this year...and my take on it as a whole, was lots of good stuff, not a lot of great stuff

I've seriously struggled to rank stuff...so instead, here's my brief take on all the 2012 releases I think I've bought this year:

Art By Numbers - Reticence: The Musical
Still can't figure out if I like this or not
#314446 by LicoriceLain
Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:56 am
fragility wrote:Well, there has been a bucketload of new music this year...and my take on it as a whole, was lots of good stuff, not a lot of great stuff

I've seriously struggled to rank stuff...so instead, here's my brief take on all the 2012 releases I think I've bought this year:

Exotic Animal Petting Zoo - Tree of Tongues
Might just be my album of 2012, awesome

:D