Talk about other artists here (even though they all rip off Meshuggah)
#313750 by sylkicks
Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:40 pm
Well I'm done playing catch up, and found a few albums that make their way onto the list. Anyway, here we go, and this could change drastically as some of these are based on one listen:

1. DTP- Epicloud
2. Baroness- Yellow and Green
(Before I continue, it was AGONIZING picking between these two. Y+G is incredible, and was the soundtrack to my summer... but Epicloud was the soundtrack to my Fall and just what I needed to hear after how amazing the summer was. So it by less than a hair edges ahead)
3. Mumford and Sons- Babel (took me a bit, but really love it now)
4. Marriages- Kitsune (wowie)
5. Neurosis- Honor Found in Decay (still need to swallow this... that's what she said)
6. Gojira- L'Enfant Sauvage (see Neurosis)
7. DTP- Epiclouder (didn't click with me like Epicloud, still love it)
8. Torche- Harmonicraft (after one listen. Dang sauce, real good)
9. Pelican- Ataraxia/Taraxis
10. Of Monsters and Men- My Head is an Animal (yeah, bite me)
11. Swans- The Seer (another one listen, me likey)
12. Old Man Gloom- No
13. Bad Powers- Bad Powers (if this is as close as I can get to Made Out of Babies, I'm OK with that)
14. Crone- Endless Midnight
15. Four way tie: Sylosis- Monolith, Katatonia- Dead End Kings, West End Motel- Only Time Can Tell, The Mars Volta- Noctorniquet

Best movie of the year: In terms of just fun movie to watch, I guess The Avengers. In terms of "deeper," for lack of a better word, Lincoln was good. Still have yet to see Django Unchained, the Hobbit, and Les Miserables though, and I see those shaking things up.

Best video game: Haven't played too many this year, but just started playing Assassin's Creed 3 and it's pretty awesome, surprisingly. Oh! Diablo 3! Duh! Yup, that takes the title.
#313785 by Faffy
Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:38 am
8 definite favourites in a somewhat random order:

Anneke van Giersbergen - Everything is Changing (Waaay better than expected. An my expectations were pretty high to begin with)
Anathema - Weather Systems (Simply beautiful)
Devin Townsend Project - Epicloud/er (Buddahbuddahbuddahbideeet!)
Arjen Anthony Lucassen - Lost in the New Real (Because, apparently, I love everything that man does)
Diablo Swing Orchestra - Pandora's Pi
Last edited by Faffy on Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#313795 by Biert
Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:22 pm
Between The Buried And Me, Enslaved, Deftones, Nils Frahm, Anathema, The Omega Experiment, Nils Frahm &
#313799 by Octillus
Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:26 pm
aleksi wrote:These threads are super useful every year. There was new Katatonia album? :D

Yep, and it was pretty good!
#313813 by vaijuju
Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:59 pm
Of course !

1) VAN HALEN - A Different Kind Of Truth
2) DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT - Epicloud
3) ANATHEMA - Weather Systems
4) THRESHOLD - March Of Progress
Last edited by vaijuju on Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
#313821 by quakegod667
Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:10 pm
Oh boy, now this is a tough one. I can't be bothered to decide which is my absolute favourite, so here are my picks in no particular order:

Devin Townsend Project - Epicloud/Epiclouder (Freedom rock!)
Wintersun - Time I (Destrooooy the waaaaaalls of TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIME)
Krallice - Years Past Matter (Beautiful, mind-exploding, excellent.)
Meshuggah - Koloss (DO NOT LOOK DOWN)
Abyssal - Denouement (Up-and-coming British Blackened Death Metal, check their Bandcamp here for a free download of the album; it's hella good)
Ihsahn - Eremita (It's a tie between this and After for the best album Ihsahn's released solo. Devin's guest vocals kinda help too :P )
Burzum - Umskiptar (Yep, call me weird for liking the album at all, let alone having it be one of my favourites this year, but something about it just clicked perfectly with me and made it into one of the more satisfying albums this year. Sue me.)
Agalloch - Faustian Echoes (Not sure if this one actually qualifies as an album, but the one 23-minute song on here is so goddamn good like seriously it's so amazing ahhhHHHHHH)

There's a few that I haven't heard yet, like Riitir, The Afterman: Ascension, Dethalbum III, Pandora's Pinata, maybe one or two more I forgot, but these albums are just so good and my picks for the best released this year. (You can take that as a statement on my personal taste being all screwed up or the general state of the year in music releases, you decide.)
#313916 by pandemic
Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:53 am
here's my list you've all been eagerly awaiting .... in terrible order too!

#6. Cannibal Corpse - Torture - these guys are on top of their game
#10. Soundgarden - King Animal - best album since "Down on the upside" heh heh
#12 . Howtodestroyangels - an omen EP - nine inch nails with female vocals whats not to like?
#15. Down - Down IV:P1 - phil's voice has completely shat the bed but there are some fun riffs to be heard
#14. Btbam - P:II - these guys are on top of their game
#11. Deftones - kai no w.e - liked their last two releases better
#3. Devin - Epicloud(er) - i like music
#4. Ihsahn - Eremita - this guy knows what hes doing
#2. Wintersun - Time1 - this should of been called "Epicloud"
#1. Gojira - Elephant Sausage - OH MAH GOD ITS GODZILLLLLLLLLLLA!!!!
#5. Meshuggah - Koloss - how can people hate on this album?
#7. DougStanhope - Before Turning the Gun on Himself - inspiring
#8. Unsane - Wreck - raw shit.
#9. Rush - Clockwork Angels - magical from start to finish
#13. Storm Corrosion - EP - cant sleep without it
#313934 by BrunoN
Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:36 pm
djskrimp wrote:I'm going to catch shit for this, and I don't mind at all.

1. Mnemic "Mnemesis"

Oh, a new record. And still with the French guy. Yyyup, checking this out. They're in my personal "head thinks it's a bit crap, heart doesn't care" category, together with Klone and Uneven Structure.

...when I think about it, actually Klone is appreciated by every part of my system. And it has a 2012 album too!
#313985 by LicoriceLain
Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:29 pm
pandemic wrote:here's my list you've all been eagerly awaiting .... in terrible order too!
#11. Deftones - kai no w.e - liked their last two releases better

Thank you so much. I am so tired of everyone praising it so much. SNW is definitely far and beyond my fave by them and KNY just feels like they are just to make it all too tight nit. I understand changing over time, especially with a new bassist, but it oddly felt really stale and sterile to me.

Also, when did Storm Corrosion release an EP? I thought it was just the one album so far.
#313987 by LicoriceLain
Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:45 pm
pandemic wrote:here's my list you've all been eagerly awaiting .... in terrible order too!

I don't like either for different reasons.

Meshuggah: some people hate obZen, but obZen and Chaosphere are my favorite albums by Shuggah. Koloss is them slowing down, becoming too self indulgent in their metal messiah mythos (I realize Devy and others have given them shoutouts over the years, but that shouldn't go to their heads) and most importantly it is fucking boring. And it isn't the style or song lengths, because I love "Obsidian" from Nothing and literally NOTHING happens in that song besides atmosphere. It is what they bring to the table and the execution. There is almost nothing interesting going on at any point in Koloss. It is just jun jun, this is heavy yo, jun jun. At least, that is how I feel about it.

As for Gojira, I am still kinda pissed that they went from one of the greatest metal records of all time to a not as awesome but pretty great record to this year's "oh, we have to make a new album because we STILL have not released the Sea Shepherd ep? Might as well just record whatever brainfarts cross our mind." And yeah, I am cross about that damn ep because I have been wanting to hear ever since they first started talking about it in 2009. And the fact that they released "Of Blood and Salt" last year which is a track from the ep makes me even more annoyed it isn't out yet.
#314058 by pandemic
Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:16 pm
LicoriceLain wrote:

I don't like either for different reasons.

Meshuggah: some people hate obZen, but obZen and Chaosphere are my favorite albums by Shuggah. Koloss is them slowing down, becoming too self indulgent in their metal messiah mythos (I realize Devy and others have given them shoutouts over the years, but that shouldn't go to their heads) and most importantly it is fucking boring. And it isn't the style or song lengths, because I love "Obsidian" from Nothing and literally NOTHING happens in that song besides atmosphere. It is what they bring to the table and the execution. There is almost nothing interesting going on at any point in Koloss. It is just jun jun, this is heavy yo, jun jun. At least, that is how I feel about it.

As for Gojira, I am still kinda pissed that they went from one of the greatest metal records of all time to a not as awesome but pretty great record to this year's "oh, we have to make a new album because we STILL have not released the Sea Shepherd ep? Might as well just record whatever brainfarts cross our mind." And yeah, I am cross about that damn ep because I have been wanting to hear ever since they first started talking about it in 2009. And the fact that they released "Of Blood and Salt" last year which is a track from the ep makes me even more annoyed it isn't out yet.

well storm corrosion i thought it was considered a EP so my mistake. deftones i also do not understand all the praise. For Koloss i see where you are coming from. but i started liking meshuggah when they released the album "nothing" in 2002. As much as i loved "obzen" it just didn't do much for me as other meshuggah albums have done in the past. the slow boring riffs u hear in koloss to me are meshuggah returning to their true natural sound that i ever so love. to call them boring just makes me believe no buddy listened to the album more then once. they dont have to try hard to please (IN MY OPINION anyway) and as for that whole "djent" genre i still think they completely rape its corpse. but how dare you not like something i favorite right? Gojira the sea shepherd ep got destroyed on their harddrive and will probably wont come out anytime soon and was recorded a while ago so it might have that "way of all flesh" sound. as for the album L'efant sausage - "whatever brainfarts cross their mind?" im pretty sure thats how everyone writes their music so i dont see how thats a valid reason to hate on a album but anyways to me this album is just full blown solid good metal tunes. to me it just screams MEEETAL! and it has this real organic sound i just love it to death i like how it does not require much thought or attention just something that sounds great from start to finish to bob your head to and have a good time while your doing it and thats all i really look for in music. so i was really pleased with this new album. but i can see why people would be upset same shit with koloss and obzen. if they're not gonna out do themselves people dont care. which is really sad cause most these people i see who hate on albums couldn't play a instrument if their life depended on it. as much as i wanna be critical about these albums like you are i just cant because i know i would never be able to create something as good as these albums so how can i be disappointed? and sorry if i come off sounding like a dick. and sorry for the bad grammar.
#314066 by LicoriceLain
Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:01 pm
I hadn't heard about the hard drive issue. Why am I the last one to know when I have been checking for news every so often? >_>

I gave Koloss several tries. A try for me is a listen through beginning to end. I actually think that in order to judge anything, it must listened to entirely.

I guess we just have divergent feelings about L'enfant Sauvage. It is the biggest let down of the year for me and I do get fired up about it now and then, but it is all opinions anyway.
#314067 by pandemic
Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:29 pm
yea in the end ..i (we) don't know shit
#314109 by djskrimp
Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:00 pm
pandemic wrote:yea in the end ..i (we) don't know shit

Speak for yourself. I'm pretty damned omniscient. In fact, if there were to be two omnisciences, I'd be bo..... :shock: