Talk about other artists here (even though they all rip off Meshuggah)
#313549 by Bookwyrm83
Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:10 pm
I'm going to disagree on Koloss. I'd say it's up there with ObZen and Chaosphere, and while it's not my album of the year, I have not become bored with it.
Incidentally, the only disappointment I've had this year was Ensiferum's Unsung Heroes. Not bad at all, just not as interesting as it should have been.
#313561 by djskrimp
Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:15 am
I'm going to catch shit for this, and I don't mind at all.

1. Mnemic "Mnemesis"

All others in no particular order
Sybreed "God is An Automaton"
Devin Townsend "Epicloud"
Katatonia "Dead End Kings"
Big Wreck "Albatross"
Anathema "Weather Systems"
Gojira "L'Enfant Sauvage"
Meshuggah "Koloss"
Skyharbor "Blinding White Noise:Illusion and Chaos"
Periphery "Periphery II: This Time It's Personal"
#313564 by Abydost
Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:27 am
For me?

Reso - Tangram
Periphery 2
Spawn of Possession - Incurso
Faceless - Autotheism
Cannibal Corpse - Torture
Epicloud/er
Pathology - The Time of Great Purification
Storm Corrosion
Steven Wilson - Grace for Drowning

I want to add Meshuggah on there, especially as it contains one of my favourite songs but... it hurts my ears. :( Nice album but difficult to put in favourites without just being nice.
#313565 by Jaglavak
Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:58 am
LicoriceLain wrote:Yeah, Meshuggah is easily the worst record I have heard all year. The only thing that could bottom it in any one of my moods would be Purity Ring because I fucking hate the production on that album. Percussion does not need to be that piercing. Period.

Hah, sorry to hear that... you're missing out! Call me crazy, but it might be my favorite thing they've done outside of Catch Thirtythree. I tend to get a lot of flack for thinking C33 is their best, too, so it's probably just me. Kind of surprised some folks don't care for the production, because that's one of the selling points for me - it's so much more meaty and organic sounding than obZen, which, while great, can really start to feel stale about 2/3 through a full listen. Koloss is still probably one or two tracks too long, but I think it's way better than obZen in that regard. And, leave it to Jens to write the one of the best songs they've put out in years; Behind the Sun... what a monster of a track.

Oh, and about Katatonia - it's a grower. Far from their best, but definitely way better than I initially suspected it to be. The closing trilogy of tracks (Lethean, First Prayer, Dead Letters) is right up there with their best IMO.
#313568 by LicoriceLain
Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:10 am
You are not strange to me for digging Catch 33. :D

I must be alone on Koloss, because only 3 tracks even pass as decent for me. A couple ("Breakin" and "Do Not Look Down") flat out piss me off because of how aimless and monotonous they are. I guess because I love Catch 33 and I, I was expecting it to be more in that vein but something about what they did just turned me off completely.

If I remember correctly, "the hurt that finds", "Behind" and "Demiurge were the ones I felt were pretty good.
#313578 by Meh
Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:06 pm
Anyone else get a bang of Devin's 'Life' from the intro of 'Break Those Bones...'?
#313583 by Bookwyrm83
Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:22 pm
Meh wrote:Anyone else get a bang of Devin's 'Life' from the intro of 'Break Those Bones...'?

You know, now that you mention it, I kinda do.

Made up my mind for the top 10:
Ahab - The Giant
Cattle Decapitation - Monolith of Inhumanity
Kreator - Phantom Antichrist
DTP - Epicloud/er
Nekromantheon - Rise, Vulcan Spectre
Ihsahn - Eremita
Nile - At The Gate of Sethu
Evoken - Atra Mors
Napalm Death - Utilitarian
Fuck I'm Dead - Another Gory Mess
Honorable mentions to Candlemass, Blut Aus Nord and Meshuggah.

Top 3 EPs as well:
Down - IV part I (The Purple EP)
Inverloch - Dusk/Subside
Internal Nightmare - War of Silence
#313594 by Meh
Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:02 am
Meh wrote:Anyone else get a bang of Devin's 'Life' from the intro of 'Break Those Bones...'?

Oops, I meant 'Night' from Ocean Machine.
#313598 by Bookwyrm83
Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:55 am
^Listened to both just for the the hell of it, and Night was the more appropriate comparison.
Come to think of it, the intro to Triptykon's Descendant is also similar.
#313644 by sylkicks
Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:35 am
Should this topic maybe be moved to the general discussion? I know it started out by asking if Epicloud was the best of 2012, but has kind of evolved past that to just being best albums of 2012. We might get more people posting on it.

Mods... I leave it to your godly wisdom :lol:
#313649 by swervedriver
Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:35 pm
^ Done.

Haven't really thought about my list for the year, but I know I'll put Epiclouder higher than Epicloud if the latter makes that list at all.

Probable candidate for my #1 would be Rush - Clockwork Angels. Other nominees:
Cloudkicker - Fade
The Omega Experiment - The Omega Experiment
Meshuggah - Koloss
Soundgarden - King Animal

But haven't ranked any of them yet.
#313652 by sylkicks
Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:21 pm
....there was a new Cloudkicker album this year?

#313714 by LicoriceLain
Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:42 am
sylkicks wrote:....there was a new Cloudkicker album this year?

Yes. I found it aggressively bland. There is also new All India Radio which I didn't find all that bland.
#313746 by stubear280
Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:45 pm
The only albums that have super grabbed me have been:

Epicloud(er)

The Omega Experiment-The Omega Experiment (Such great, inspiring work. Go Dan!)

Periphery 2 (Not usually my style at all, but I really dug a huge chunk of it "Have a Blast!" is kickass beyond words.)

Electric Six- Absolute Pleasure (I love this band! Not really complicated or deep music, it's stupid and fun and that's what is great about it.)

Coheed and Cambria- Afterman: Ascension (It's Coheed, what more do you need?)

Those are the only ones that super grabbed me