Talk about other artists here (even though they all rip off Meshuggah)
#319886 by Victimlas
Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:55 am
Wander wrote:Unrepentant Geraldines - Tori Amos

Good artists, all of these, but I'm particularly happy about stumbling upon someone apart from myself who likes both Devin and Tori. Unrepentant Geraldines is pretty good although nothing compares to the 90s albums. Well, I mean, she still writes well, but some of the edge and the voice has gone with the years, but that's life.

Wow I am actually surprised as well to find other people that like Tori and Devin. I hadn't listened to Tori in 10 years, and I absolutely love the new album! :D

For 2014 albums, I've been listening to CoC of course, and love it, also been listening to:
    Epica- Quantum Enigma
    Sabaton- Heroes. Just getting into this band. Their new album is awesome, but they are a bit of an acquired taste.
    Lacuna Coil- Broken Crown Halo

Really digging the new Opeth single and looking forward to the album. My husband on the other hand did not like it at all...
#319891 by Faffy
Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:22 am
Here's another long-time Tori-fan! :P Though I've been progressively disappointed with her stuff since The Beekeper. :\
Perhaps I should give the new album a go. Though I'm sure I will have to, considering my best friends are die hard fans.
#320026 by EphelDuath666
Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:33 am
count me in, just haven't bought the new Tori album yet but I'm planning on picking up the special edition soon :D Been a fan for a long time too.
#320049 by Wander
Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:22 pm
Hooray, Devin fans who also happen to be Tori fans - unite! I think the new album is her best in years because she's gone back to basics. Simply a lot of good melodies based on piano and vocals. The previous albums all had good tracks here and there, but were lacking as a whole. This is both shorter and more solid throughout. You do have to accept that it is for the most part the mellowest she's ever been, with only a couple of tracks crossing over to the 'rock' side of things.
#320052 by Bookwyrm83
Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:32 pm
The only 2014 releases I have so far are:
Terrestrials - Sunn O))) & Ulver. Really good and weird stuff.
The Satanist - Behemoth. Excellent work.

The other albums (and there's handful) I want to get for myself I'm allowing occasional YouTube streams to ease my anticipation.
#320080 by EphelDuath666
Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:03 am
Bookwyrm83 wrote:The Satanist - Behemoth. Excellent work.

ain't that one just fucking awesome? Really, really impressed me.

Also picked up the new Tori Amos and Anathema albums and the new Mayhem album too. Yayuh!
#320084 by Victimlas
Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:46 am
Wander wrote:Hooray, Devin fans who also happen to be Tori fans - unite! I think the new album is her best in years because she's gone back to basics. Simply a lot of good melodies based on piano and vocals. The previous albums all had good tracks here and there, but were lacking as a whole. This is both shorter and more solid throughout. You do have to accept that it is for the most part the mellowest she's ever been, with only a couple of tracks crossing over to the 'rock' side of things.

Yep, totally agree with that! The Beekeeper was the beginning of the end for me, and since then, have only connected with a couple of songs here and there. This album though got me right back in...

The new album is definitely more mellow, but have you seen live vids lately? Her voice is back, and she is just sounding amazing. I have tickets for August and I am so excited.
#320160 by static2
Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:35 pm
MikzorTheFirst wrote:New Anathema streaming here. I see their quest to make me cry as much like a little bitch as possible continues. Weather Systems was pretty overwhelming for me (in the best way).

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/anathema-exclusive-album-stream-get-a-first-listen-to-the-bands-new-record-distant-satellites-9487235.html?dkdk

yaaaaas this album is great too, but incredibly dark in comparison. the electronics in the last half are perfectly done (imo) but they seem to be causing issues with people since we're getting used to gigantic Anathema ending songs and "Take Shelter" peters out more than it erupts. it makes sense, though
#320312 by KeasbyNights
Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:18 pm
crazyaga wrote:Lantlos - Melting Sun - a blackgaze album from french. its really beautiful - just loook at dat album cover

Oh my gosh this. This album. I'm always so busy discovering old music that I somehow missed to even realize what is current for the year I'm in. :/
#321175 by TheExtraOmniscient
Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:33 pm
My favorites so far include

Sabaton - Heroes
Mastodon - Once More 'Round The Sun
Opeth - Pale Communion
Transatlantic - Kaleidoscope
Van Canto - Dawn of the Brave
Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails
and of course Casualties of Cool

Really looking forward to new Flying Colors, that Anneke and Arjen album, and of course Z2.
#321178 by Telescopes Are Gay
Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:33 pm
Casualties Of Cool - Casualties Of Cool is a casualty of being a cool album.

Perturbator's "Dangerous Days". It's basically this French guy's take on John Carpenter/Blade Runner soundtracks. I've dived head first into the abyss known as 80s inspired retro synth. I think you should too. Besides Kavinksy, there's people like Nightcrawler, Electric Youth, Dan Terminus, and Dead Astronauts that you should look into.

Lantlos - Melting Sun. Herbst's best album yet, moreso than when Neige was on for the last two albums.

Alcest - Shelter. Speaking of Neige, This is something that's been getting a lot of plays from me because I've become unabashed Neige fan. Sure, it does not have the meaty heaviness of Ecailles or Voyages but it's still a damn good shoegaze album.

Mount Salem - Endless. Found this on a whim. Not really into the whole 60's inspired psychadelic LSDcore doom metal stuff. However, this resonates. The singer is great and it's a pretty damn heavy record overall.

Kimbra - The Golden Echo. - Great fucking album. The lyric video is pretty damn cool too.

Opeth - Pale Communion. I like it, haters gonna hate. Mikael's gonna Mikael, etc

Perfume - Cling Cling EP. Wait...what?

Devin Townsend - Z2 [REDACTED] (Telescopes Are Gay has died from a freak accident involving cosmic rays.)
#321187 by JuZ
Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:48 pm
Yep, I like Perfume too. To hell with what people think, that stuff is catchy as.

There are several Perturbator fans here... he's great. 15 tracks for his new album are done already, apparently.

Retrowave is probably what I listen to most of all at the moment, along with a bunch of classical radio. There's something so atmospheric about 70s/80s synthesizers that goes beyond just nostalgia. And Blade Runner is my favourite film and favourite soundtrack, so your description rings true with me! I'd also throw in the Akira soundtrack as a definite influence on the genre.
#321235 by Dave H
Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:37 am
Surprised nobody's mentioned Melana Chasmata by Triptykon.

A brilliant album.
#321247 by Bookwyrm83
Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:15 pm
Dave H wrote:Surprised nobody's mentioned Melana Chasmata by Triptykon.

A brilliant album.

You're correct. I do find it interesting that Tom Warrior was surprised by all the positive reviews it received, as he thought there were still more improvements that could have been done. Personally, I think it's fine like it is; looking forward to the follow up EP they're planning later this year/early next.