Talk about other artists here (even though they all rip off Meshuggah)
#319711 by fragility
Thu May 29, 2014 12:31 pm
So what new stuff have you guys been digging?

Apart from CoC, I think the only new album I've bought is BadBadNotGood - III. Which is also awesome
#319712 by crazyaga
Thu May 29, 2014 12:34 pm
My 2014 chart so far:
http://oi59.tinypic.com/rk24js.jpg

I also heard the new Swans, but i havent rated it yet cause i should give it another listen to appriciate it more accurately.
If you want to know the name of any album in this chart just ask me
#319713 by fragility
Thu May 29, 2014 12:40 pm
I've been meaning to check out that Nothing album, just haven't got around to it yet

Looks like you enjoyed it?
#319715 by Faffy
Thu May 29, 2014 12:57 pm
My 2014 additions so far. (also, what's up with the colour scheme?)
Among these, only Casualties of Cool, Within Temptation, Tuomas Holopainen and Behemoth really stand out for me... which is a bit underwhelming as far as quantity goes. But I usually discover great albums the year after they've been released for some reason. So I'm not too worried.
#319718 by Faye_Fergy
Thu May 29, 2014 1:33 pm
fragility wrote:So what new stuff have you guys been digging?

Apart from CoC, I think the only new album I've bought is BadBadNotGood - III. Which is also awesome

Absolutely LOVE BadBadNotGood! That album is amazing, too.

I've really been branching out (kicking my heels until the new Mastodon and Opeth albums are out!), so I've been listening to:

Rave Tapes - Mogwai
III - BadBadNotGood
Shelter - Alcest
Unrepentant Geraldines - Tori Amos
#319748 by Octillus
Thu May 29, 2014 7:27 pm
Toehider's What Kind of Creature Am I?

Any album that spawned this single is A-OK in my book.

[youtube]9a_nfLLfbUQ[/youtube]

The new Gojira. The new Mastodon. Kowloon Walled City.
#319750 by crazyaga
Thu May 29, 2014 7:45 pm
fragility wrote:I've been meaning to check out that Nothing album, just haven't got around to it yet

Looks like you enjoyed it?

Its a bit generic, but its really really well crafted. i kind of struggled to decide if i should give it 7.5 or an 8 and decided its more of an 8

Btw, i highly recommend for all of you to check out:
The Body - I Shall Die Here - a collaboration between a metal band and a dark ambient artist, wonderful album
Lantlos - Melting Sun - a blackgaze album from french. its really beautiful - just loook at dat album cover
Have A Nice Life - The Unnatural World - a pretty hard to classify album. hmm... its a dark, depressing, bleak album, with alot of post-punk influence, full with bursts of sound
Liars - Mess - A really fun electronic album that is full with interesting ideas.
Tune Yards - Nikki Nack - FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN
#319786 by djskrimp
Sat May 31, 2014 6:58 am
Octillus wrote:Toehider's What Kind of Creature Am I?

Any album that spawned this single is A-OK in my book.

[youtube]9a_nfLLfbUQ[/youtube]

Damn, sounds a lot like Saga. That's a good thing.

So far in 2014, I've been digging on Destrage and Protest the Hero.
#319789 by Leechmaster
Sat May 31, 2014 9:21 am
That Toehider album cover has to be one of the best I've ever seen...

Currently mad on this chap:
[youtube]45W5_eSeQ1o[/youtube]
#319790 by Lettuce
Sat May 31, 2014 11:59 am
Destiny Potato - Lun

Full album's on Youtube courtesy of the band (as well as Bandcamp and Spotify). Give em a whirl, Serbian Djent with female vocals. Mad shit.

[youtube]2_iGVxpeDmI[/youtube]

Also been listening to Courtesans - 1917, which will be out later on this year. All girl industrial pop/rock, great stuff.
#319815 by Wander
Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:26 am
Faye_Fergy wrote:
fragility wrote:So what new stuff have you guys been digging?

Absolutely LOVE BadBadNotGood! That album is amazing, too.

I've really been branching out (kicking my heels until the new Mastodon and Opeth albums are out!), so I've been listening to:

Rave Tapes - Mogwai
III - BadBadNotGood
Shelter - Alcest
Unrepentant Geraldines - Tori Amos

Good artists, all of these, but I'm particularly happy about stumbling upon someone apart from myself who likes both Devin and Tori. Unrepentant Geraldines is pretty good although nothing compares to the 90s albums. Well, I mean, she still writes well, but some of the edge and the voice has gone with the years, but that's life.
#319877 by Maixant
Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:40 am
MikzorTheFirst wrote:New Opeth sounds cool, based on the following...

Spoiler: show
[youtube]_QJjJgptNxs[/youtube]

It's not that I dislike changes (Devin is an example of very different albums that I liked), but the way that is taking Opeth it's definitely not my cup of tea. Greatly well done though!
#319884 by Tracer
Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:49 am
Obviously Casualties of Cool has been great.

It came out Jan 1st, so I dunno if it really counts, but I've been enjoying The Down Troddence's "How Are You? We Are Fine Thank You."
It's Indian thrash, but it's got really over the top, silly prog keyboards, and some really great Indian folk stuff.
http://www.last.fm/music/The+Down+Troddence/How+Are+You%3F+We+are+Fine,+Thank+You

Tengger Cavalry's been fun, some Chinese folk metal stuff.
http://tenggercavalry.bandcamp.com/album/ancient-call-3

Also Cognitive's debut, some really crushing tech-death from Jersey.
Don't have too much to say about it, but if you like tech-death you're gonna love this album.
http://cognitivenewjersey.bandcamp.com/album/cognitive