Talk about other artists here (even though they all rip off Meshuggah)

#63192 by IBrokeAString
Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:50 am
SLEEPYTIME GORILLA MUSEUM
totally fucking awesome!

#63201 by Eyesore
Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:05 am
Jizz wrote:Kerbdog - Totally Switched

This is the bands first album which was released around 93/94 time. It has the grunge influence, but all the songs are catchy as hell as well as being heavy. They split then reformed as Wilt and apparantly they're back to Kerbdog again. Irish fellas too.

Hell yes! This is a great album!! They put a single out for "Dummy Crusher" with two excellent unreleased tunes on it. They also put out a second CD under the Kerbdog moniker called "On The Turn," but I've never been able to find anything more than a single off of it. I'm sure I could find it on eBay, but it's one of those CDs I always forget to look for! I need to start keeping a list! Anyway, this is a great CD!!

#63207 by DM
Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:34 am
'On The Turn' is indeed a great album. It won't (or didn't) change the world, but it does contain some top tunes. It's worth getting for track 6 ('Pledge') alone. HUGE riff + catchy chorus = :twisted:

#63209 by Persuader
Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:49 am

Beauty

#63228 by Eyesore
Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:34 pm
Persuader wrote:Image

Beauty

Annoying drum machine! :D

#63311 by A-Daamage
Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:35 am
If there was a way to upload images to these posts instead of using up the bandwidth of other sites, I'd do just that. But since there currently is no method of doing so, I'll just have to post these reviews sans cover images.

Orphaned Land - Mabool: The Story of the Three Sons of Seven

This album is a must for fans of Opeth, Dark Suns, Iron Maiden, Paradise Lost, etc. Seamlessly blending traditional Israeli music and Eastern/Oriental instruments with death, doom and classic metal, Orphaned Land have created something unique and fresh amidst the all the clones of black, melodic death, and metalcore bands. Kobi Farhi's voice goes from pure death roars to soaring clean vocals in the blink of an eye and exhibits a maturity shared only by the likes of Mikael Äkerfeldt, Nick Holmes and other vocalists of such high repute. Mabool is a welcome change of pace from the ever-increasing monotony of the clone wars (no reference to Star Wars) that is the majority of metal these days.

Andromeda - Extension of the Wish

Often (unfairly) compared to Dream Theater, Andromeda's debut makes Dream Theater look silly. I absolutely abhor the term "prog-metal" as there are many progressive bands out there that sound nothing like the bands that get thrown into this category. Opeth, Tool, Borknagar, Meshuggah, Devin Townsend.... these musicians/bands are all progressive metal in their own way, pushing the boundaries and exploring new territories. I think the correct term for bands like Dream Theater, Symphony X, etc. should be Wankery-Metal.

Alright, I've digressed enough. Extension displays some of the tightest and most intricate works of music ever recorded by a metal band. Johan Reinholdz, guitarist and songwriter of the entire album, was only 20 at the time of this recording and plays better than guitarists who are ten years his elder. His compositions are fascinating and never fail to yield a "Holy shit! That was fucking insane!" every couple of measures. While the songs are quite complicated in structure, Johan still makes them catchy and memorable, succeeding where so many so-called "prog-metal" bands have failed: writing SONGS, not just 10-minute jam sessions of guitar/keyboard masturbation. Injecting a whole new level of youthful passion and intensity, Extension of the Wish will appeal to a wide range of metal fans, from those into Devin Townsend and Steve Vai all the way to fans of Spiritual Beggars, Meshuggah and Arch Enemy.

#63322 by Jizz
Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:59 am
Eyesore wrote:

Beauty

Is 'Beauty' the name of the Nightingale album?

#63324 by Jim Fear
Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:21 am
A-Daamage wrote:Orphaned Land - Mabool: The Story of the Three Sons of Seven

This album is a must for fans of Opeth, Dark Suns, Iron Maiden, Paradise Lost, etc. Seamlessly blending traditional Israeli music and Eastern/Oriental instruments with death, doom and classic metal, Orphaned Land have created something unique and fresh amidst the all the clones of black, melodic death, and metalcore bands. Kobi Farhi's voice goes from pure death roars to soaring clean vocals in the blink of an eye and exhibits a maturity shared only by the likes of Mikael Äkerfeldt, Nick Holmes and other vocalists of such high repute. Mabool is a welcome change of pace from the ever-increasing monotony of the clone wars (no reference to Star Wars) that is the majority of metal these days.

Well said.I totally agree and also can't recommened this cd enough.Go out an get it! your life depends on it!

#63332 by dub
Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:03 am
I'd hardly call Electric Wizard's Dopethrone 'haunting'..... fucking heavy yes.. but I think I can see whre you're coming from it's very bleak and desparate.

One of my favourite albums ever.

#63335 by ForceFed
Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:04 am
So, i'm just curious, but has anyone checked out any of the bands I mentioned? Or is anyone already into them? Let it be known that every band mentioned in this thread is on my "to get list", and I search for them whenever I fire up dc++ or head to the used cd store. :wink:

#63337 by EphelDuath666
Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:20 am
I love GYBE so already know them but I wanna jeck out that John 5 Album. I used to love Manson a lot. I lost a bit interest as well after GAOG because I think the songs were a little too catchy for my taste and the lyrics were not that great anymore. I sure wanna see what different sides John 5 has though.

#63339 by Eyesore
Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:38 am
Jizz wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Beauty

Is 'Beauty' the name of the Nightingale album?

No, it's called "The Breathing Shadow."

#63366 by ForceFed
Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:09 am
EphelDuath666 wrote:I love GYBE so already know them but I wanna jeck out that John 5 Album. I used to love Manson a lot. I lost a bit interest as well after GAOG because I think the songs were a little too catchy for my taste and the lyrics were not that great anymore. I sure wanna see what different sides John 5 has though.

Yeah, I kinda left MM behind after GAOG, alot of that stuff is very...shabby. The production is just too off-center for me. The 5 album is great though.

#63376 by Jizz
Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:18 am
ForceFed wrote:So, i'm just curious, but has anyone checked out any of the bands I mentioned? Or is anyone already into them? Let it be known that every band mentioned in this thread is on my "to get list", and I search for them whenever I fire up dc++ or head to the used cd store. :wink:

I'll look for a few of the bands posted on here, aye.

I've acquired a few Antimatter songs, which are excellent...depressing as fuck, but excellent.

I'm now hunting for that Nightingale album mentioned, I don't think it's here though.

#63664 by Vesper
Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:09 am
erm... go for... Tuff Enuff - Cyborgs Don't Sleep :) it's Polish, and good :) and old... and kinda weird :)
Also, for great classical .pl thrash metal, check them Acid Drinkers, wikkid buncha peoples :)

I am not 1337 enough to paste pix here ;) (lame xcuse, there you got me, in a nuthshell :))