Talk about other artists here (even though they all rip off Meshuggah)

#62891 by ForceFed
Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:05 pm
thefillersweetcityjesus wrote:ohhh now im interestedi n the john 5 thing because i love manson too...

Yeah, i've always been a big MM fan. Well, up until his last album, i've been losing interest since. A few of the songs on John 5's album are obviously influenced by his time with MM, so you'll probably wind up at least digging those tracks.
#62898 by Jim Fear
Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:34 am
Torniojaws wrote:
EphelDuath666 wrote:(If someone has seen them live or knows more about them, I´d really like to know whether they have a drummer or use a drum computer)

Well, judging from the interviews and the official band pics, I would say they at least have a live drummer. Dunno if they used a machine on the album.

Here's an interview part from Metal Storm:

- Could you introduce the band please?

Chlordane: The Amenta is Chlordane – keys, samples and effects, Cesium 137 – vocals, Ethion – guitar, Endrin – bass and Diazinon – Drums. We formed in 2000 and released our debut MCD, entitled “Mictlan” in 2002. In 2003 we signed to Listenable Records who are releasing our first full length album, “Occasus”.

I believe the drummer from another Australian band called Psycroptic(awesome tech death.Check em out)is also the drummer for The Amenta

#62914 by Jizz
Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:37 am
I don't have A Farewell to Kings on here unfortunately, ForceFed. It was a toss up between Fly By Night and Caress of Steel. Obviously I'm choosing my personal favourites, although I could have picked Hold Your Fire.

I bought 2112, Caress of Steel, Fly By Night and Rush on Christmas Eve for myself and they're all excellent albums.

I love the production, really solid as fuck mixing with a bit of atmosphere...which a lot of bands nowadays lack.

:D

#62917 by IBrokeAString
Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:06 am
anything by Myrkskog. They just rock my... ah well..you all know the saying anyway :D

#62988 by EphelDuath666
Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:31 am
Antimatter - Lights Out

I just have to recommend this one. I´ve been listening to that Album so often ever since I discovered it last year. Antimatter includes former members of Anathema (If I remember it right) and their music is just as uplifting as Anathema´s....not at all. :) The difference to Anathema though is that Antimatter are a lot more electronic and darker. There are both male and female vocals on that Album (as on their previous Album Saviour) and especially the female vocal work is fantastic in my opinion. I´m not sure if I´m right but I think one of the female singers has also appeared on some of Anathema´s Albums. I´ve been listening to the song "Dream" so often over the past year because it´s simply dark and beautiful. It reminds me a little of Madonna´s "Frozen". Also, if you like the last few Albums from "The 3rd and the Mortal" then you should like this one as well. A very dark and beautiful piece of music.
here´s a link to an mp3:
http://www.antimatter-band.de/home/media/Antimatter_LightsOut_TheArtOfASoftLanding.mp3

#62993 by fragility
Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:50 pm
Spastic Ink

Image Image

If you like any sort of technicality to your music, it's tough to find anything better than Spastic Ink. Masterminded by Ron Jarzombek (Watchtower, Gordian Knot 1 etc) this takes technical music to a new level. Insane guitar work, original sound, complexity and technicality rolled into one. And it's super-catchy too :) Ink Complete is instrumental, whereas Ink Compatible features Watchtower vocalist Jason McMaster, plus guest appearences including Daniel Gildenlow, Michael Manring, Marty Friedman, Jens Johanson and a whole host more.

Spiral Architect

Perhaps a slightly more contraversial pick in light of recent events, but it's great music here it is. Once again, a great combination of insane complexity, while still being highly listenable (IMO more so than Spastic Ink). All of the band members display amazing musicianship on this album, another one of my all time favs!

#62999 by Blazingmonga
Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:04 pm
The things I would recommend to anyone that I have recently started to get more into are:

Porcupine Tree
Dredg
Gwen Stefani

Ok, I am half joking with the last one...but its all good!

#63002 by Torniojaws
Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:27 pm
Ah well, dunno if some of you have checked these out (some have), but anyways:

Fredrik Thordendal's Special Defects - Sol Niger Within

The solo album of Fredrik's (of Meshuggah fame) with a drummer even more impressive than Tomas Haake: Morgan Ã…gren. He's more jazzy compared to Tomas and less straightforward. The album is basically a single song split into parts, lasting 43 minutes or 53 minutes, depending on which version you have. The original version (43 mins) has a bit lower sound quality and also has some songs missing / different and incorporates some church organ parts. The new version 3.33 (53 mins) has two bonus tracks (Missing Time & Ooo Baby Baby) and a bit better sound quality and the church organs have been deleted. All and all a very interesting album, and in my opinion better than any single Meshuggah album. It's a bit more difficult than Meshuggah, so be prepared when you listen :)
Highly recommended for progressive metal fans.

Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale

Of course, it's Arcturus' second album and a very very impressive one at that. It's an album with a mood of movies like Phantom of the Opera, but more twisted and crazy. Musically, you could combine it to be an insane combination of Beethoven, Bach, Black Metal, Electronics and some hints of Devin. It's a pretty hard album to describe properly, but nothing is as it seems on this one. I highly recommend you to listen to it at 2 AM in the night when you are half-asleep and hallucinating a bit. The lyrics are very good for the mood too.
Highly recommended again, you have to hear it.

Electric Wizard - Dopethrone

Very haunting doom metal, with a very slow pace and hallucinogenic again :P You don't get much doomier & gloomier from here, and boy does it rock. Just turn up the volume and lay back, again in the morning hours of the night.
#63076 by EphelDuath666
Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:13 pm
Jim Fear wrote:
Torniojaws wrote:
EphelDuath666 wrote:(If someone has seen them live or knows more about them, I´d really like to know whether they have a drummer or use a drum computer)

Well, judging from the interviews and the official band pics, I would say they at least have a live drummer. Dunno if they used a machine on the album.

Chlordane: The Amenta is Chlordane – keys, samples and effects, Cesium 137 – vocals, Ethion – guitar, Endrin – bass and Diazinon – Drums. We formed in 2000 and released our debut MCD, entitled “Mictlan” in 2002. In 2003 we signed to Listenable Records who are releasing our first full length album, “Occasus”.

I believe the drummer from another Australian band called Psycroptic(awesome tech death.Check em out)is also the drummer for The Amenta

Hey, thanks for the info! I just checked that and it´s true. The Psycroptic drummer is the drummer for The Amenta and also another guy from Psycroptic will be with The Amenta during their tours...pretty cool! Wanted to check out some songs but the links to the mp3s don´t seem to work :(

#63084 by OliK
Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:50 pm
Koma- Band comprised of some members of Cult of Luna. Same heavy drumming style but with a fantastic singer and hits you with a wall of sound.

Pineapple Thief - Very good "pop" rock in the vein of Porcupine Tree. Nothing groundbreaking but very good nontheless.
#63085 by Jim Fear
Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:14 pm
EphelDuath666 wrote:
Jim Fear wrote:
Torniojaws wrote:

Hey, thanks for the info! I just checked that and it´s true. The Psycroptic drummer is the drummer for The Amenta and also another guy from Psycroptic will be with The Amenta during their tours...pretty cool! Wanted to check out some songs but the links to the mp3s don´t seem to work :(

Did you try and get them from their site? http://www.psycroptic.com. You must hear them! they destroy all!..lol

#63087 by Jim Fear
Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:29 pm
Get "The colour of sleep" if you can.The other's are good ,just not AS good.

#63088 by Jizz
Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:35 pm
Thanks to EphelDuath666 for the link to Antimatter...that song was excellent and I'll keep that in mind for my next raid on Amazon!

I always liked 'Fragile Dreams' by Anathema but wasn't a huge fan of their doomier stuff. That song is a nice change and looks like it's going down a similar path to the more recent Paradise Lost stuff.

Pungent Effulgent by Ozric Tentacles everyone...go 'acquire' it!!!

#63146 by EphelDuath666
Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:16 am
@Jim Fear: Thanks again for the recommendation. The link worked now and they´re really damn good. That drummer from Psycroptic/The Amenta is really one of the best drummers I´ve ever heard.

@Jizz: You´re welcome. You´re gonna love that Album. If you can download it but it´s also worth the money. A very addictive Album. And the song you heard isn´t even the best one.

#63185 by Dunkelheit
Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:03 am
I'm not too acquainted with these bands but I can tell you they kick some derriere.

maudlin of the Well
Kayo Dot

(both bands are related)