Talk about other artists here (even though they all rip off Meshuggah)

#135317 by Noodles
Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:15 pm
Chris wrote:
Noodles wrote:Caught Neurosis on their short mini-tour in Seattle. They were amazing. The sound quality was the best I've heard from a live band. I think it might have ruined a lot of live music for me because I don't think its possible for any band to do such a good job of recreating but improving on their studio material when they perform it live.

Oh, I envy you.

Can you post the setlist or at least name the songs you remember? And did they already play new stuff? As far as I know, the next album is already written - or at least for the most part - and "just" has to be recorded at the beginning of next year.
They played three songs I didn't recognize but they might have been from the Sovereign EP or pre-Enemy of the Sun since I'm not too familiar with those releases. Also they only played one song from The Eye of Every Storm and two from A Sun That Never Sets. Here's the songs I remember

started with:
-The Tide
-The Doorway

somewhere in the middle:
-Crawl Back In
-End of the Harvest
-Left To Wander
-that song on Enemy of the Sun with the speach about the tibettan nun at the start

ended with:
-Locust Star

damn I just realized I don't know Neurosis song names very well :(. They played for 2 hours without an encore and it was just totally awesome.

#135334 by Das Schuetzenfest
Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:23 am
Biert wrote:Since when do metalheads care about the looks of the musicians? :P

Why do you think I'm a huge Devin Townsend fan? :P

Great show yesterday and goddamn, Lauren Harris is SMOKING HOT!
I liked her kind of naive and light-hearted appearance, bare-footed and in very sexy tight leather pants. Well done, Steve! Her drummer cracked me up! He looked like Steve Harris' granduncle. I guess 'Arry doesn't allow young and firm musicians in his daughter's band. :P

Trivium bored me. They can play their instruments, but they can't write interesting music at all, at least for someone who's listening to metal for 20 years. The singer did a spot-on (unoriginal) Hetfield impersonation and the songs were an uninsired blend of Metallica, Testament, Pantera and Slayer with some "metalcore" influences. The only highpoint of their set was shouting "boat, rudder, etc..." during their last song. :o

Maiden where great as always and they nailed the new songs as well as the older ones as usual. Bruce's voice was in good form, apart from very few difficult lines. I was standing (bounced around) fifth or so "row" slightly left at the beginning and center at the end. Eye contact and singing along with Dave Murray, Bruce Dickinson and Steve Harris is always a treat. From a theatrical standpoint I prefered the 2003 show though, and I was standing second row back then.

Anyway, looking forward to the Powerslave / Somewhere In Time / Seventh Son / No Prayer set and Egyptian stage in 2008!

#135417 by Goat
Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:22 pm
Das Schuetzenfest wrote:Trivium ... The only highpoint of their set was shouting "boat, rudder, etc..." during their last song. :o

:lol: Two respect points for Trivium.

#136017 by Das Schuetzenfest
Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:14 am
Goat wrote:
Das Schuetzenfest wrote:Trivium ... The only highpoint of their set was shouting "boat, rudder, etc..." during their last song. :o

No, no! It was > I < who shouted "boat, rudder..." :P

Last show I've attended: Opeth (+Amplifier) two days ago at "La Laiterie" in Strasbourg, France. Good location, good sound, good support band, great mood in the audience, brilliant performance by Opeth and hilariously pointless banter by Mikael Ã…kerfeldt. My first Opeth show (FINALLY!) and hopefully not my last.

#136059 by Goat
Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:56 pm
Das Schuetzenfest wrote:
Goat wrote:

No, no! It was > I < who shouted "boat, rudder..." :P

Oh my god, that's great, I was really uncomfortable with the idea of Trivium being cool. :lol:

Boat, rudder, strange mountain, stomp, Ukraine, this ...
LIME!!!
Fleish, gas pain, white, red eye, it's Mile, with the tyres, it's just the way you piss

It's not Kurtz,
who minces once on a moped,
now, Winger
kicking Smalveh's germacide away

:lol:

#136063 by black_tooth_grin
Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:19 am
Last band I saw was Gamma Ray.

Im sure most of you know Kai Hansen, he use to sing and play guitar in the old school speed metal/power metal Helloween and is now making a killing with his project he started back in 1990 called Gamma Ray.

I only recently got into Gamma Ray cos im a huge fan of Helloween and was expecting nothing more then him to play some Helloween and I would be happy. But once I bought some of his cd's I was totally hooked, im abit embrassed that I didn't discover the band sooner. I didn't realise how great they were, both on cd and live on stage.

As soon as they came out on stage I was grinning from ear to ear. The whole show was nothing i ever experienced before. Ive been to afew power metal band concerts before, but nothing as full on and exciting as that. Everyone was so happy and got involved whenever need be...like clapping along to the more melodic songs and then getting into the more heavy/fast songs by singing along and fully getting into it by rasining the horns to every beat...but that useally happens at all concerts. :P

It was probably one of the best shows ive been to this year, with Nevermore next in line. hehehe!! get it, "Next in Line" :P

Plus it was a great bonus getting to meet the band after the show and getting some of my cd's signed. Kai was also nice enough to sign me "Keepers Of The Seven Keys Pt I" cd. There all such great guys and I can't wait to see them again once they release "Land Of The Free Pt II".

#136069 by ASHORIZZOR
Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:00 am
The band I saw recently was "The Birthday Masacre" and "Lumsk".

The audience sucked but both bands (at least Lumsk) tryed to pull it off. Nothing special at all but another "done" on my to do list.

#136085 by Kaartinen
Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:37 pm
Danny Cavanaugh acoustic

Me and missus are huge Anathema fans, so this was a real treat. He played all these cool one-man versions of Anathema tunes and a load of covers. It was pretty amazing.

And before that we saw the Unholy Alliance Tour. Lamb of God was easily the best band of the evening, since I've already seen Slayer and In Flames about n times.

#136806 by Biert
Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:12 am
Saw The Gathering again last night. Damn, they are amazing :)

#136807 by Reaper-Man-666
Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:38 am
ladytwiglet wrote:
Blazingmonga wrote:
Reaper-Man-666 wrote:Last band I went to see was last night..... Opeth @ Manchester Academy! By Lord they are good live. :D

First time seeing them?

Saw them in Glasgow on Monday. Shit hot, they are. Mikael is getting to be such a funny frontman. Quality stuff!

haha! i am total agreement on that one...i wasnt expecting him to be so funny but he was just chucklesome!!

Reaper-Man-you weren't wearing a SYL/DTB tour 2001 tshirt at opeth were you???

No. Don't have a 2001 tour shirt unfortunately. I was on the rail to the mixing desk at the back, short sleeve Opeth shirt on.

#136831 by fullgore
Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:59 pm
Im A Strapping Young Lad wrote:Last band I saw was Gamma Ray.

Im sure most of you know Kai Hansen, he use to sing and play guitar in the old school speed metal/power metal Helloween and is now making a killing with his project he started back in 1990 called Gamma Ray.

I only recently got into Gamma Ray cos im a huge fan of Helloween and was expecting nothing more then him to play some Helloween and I would be happy. But once I bought some of his cd's I was totally hooked, im abit embrassed that I didn't discover the band sooner. I didn't realise how great they were, both on cd and live on stage.

As soon as they came out on stage I was grinning from ear to ear. The whole show was nothing i ever experienced before. Ive been to afew power metal band concerts before, but nothing as full on and exciting as that. Everyone was so happy and got involved whenever need be...like clapping along to the more melodic songs and then getting into the more heavy/fast songs by singing along and fully getting into it by rasining the horns to every beat...but that useally happens at all concerts. :P

It was probably one of the best shows ive been to this year, with Nevermore next in line. hehehe!! get it, "Next in Line" :P

Plus it was a great bonus getting to meet the band after the show and getting some of my cd's signed. Kai was also nice enough to sign me "Keepers Of The Seven Keys Pt I" cd. There all such great guys and I can't wait to see them again once they release "Land Of The Free Pt II".
Land of the Free 2! If it's even half as good as the first I'll be jumping for joy. They are one of the few metal acts I enjoy. My favorite unless you don't count Symphony X as power metal...

edit: i meant to say POWER metal acts. gonna leave that uncorrected though just because it's funny.

#144602 by Biert
Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:17 am
Damn, I'm going to have to miss this: http://www.last.fm/event/50551 :(

#144619 by Persuader
Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:01 pm
Saw In Flames a week ago, they we're good as always. The sound was unstable to say the least, but they pulled it off nicely. And the afterparty was great fun!

#144633 by sj_2150
Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:14 am
Helmet. Best gig ive ever been to period. i was front row center and the crowd was going fucking insane. their live sounds doesent suffer a bit even though Pages voice isnt what it used to be. it was phenomenal. After the set, Page took requests which was pure awesomeness. The played for an hour and a half and afterwards i was completely exausted. 10/10 :D

#144660 by myra
Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:36 am
Type O Negative on Monday.

The setlist was much too short and the crowd was awful. But the band was amazing!!! I hope they tour more with the new album.