Talk about other artists here (even though they all rip off Meshuggah)
#254064 by GuyOne
Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:42 pm
So here we can start discussing what albums we are looking forward to this year and what we think of them once they have been released.

This is hopefully going to be separate from Devin's own releases Ghost and Deconstruction.

I am really looking forward to the sophomore release from Survivors Zero. I was pleasantly surprised with their debut album and have really high hopes for what is to come. Sort of like a little more agressive Hypocrisy I can see these guys really becoming something big if they break through with a few really good songs. http://www.myspace.com/survivorszero

I would say that there are a lot of new releases coming this year that I am excited about but that band tops it... everything else was on about the same level of excitment until I found out a new Burzum album is coming in a couple months. That should be excellent. Belus was such a great "comeback" album. Really awesome atmosphere and lots of great riffs even if the drums do sound like a drum machine and I don't think Varg could pull that off after all the sloppiness of the first Burzum albums then years behind bars on top of that without a drum kit. www.burzum.org
#254068 by Aden
Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:12 pm
Abydost wrote: a new Opeth and Porcupine from what I've heard.

& a new Akerfeldt + Wilson thing too, possibly.
#254071 by GuyOne
Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:24 pm
New Opeth should be very good. A lot of people are giving them flack for changing their "style" since signing to a larger label but I still really enjoy the music. One of the only Swedish bands that have gotten bigger recently that I don't cringe to when I put on a new CD. One thing I thought was a little odd was when *someone* (I don't remember who) stated that Opeth was trying something that had never been done before in metal and that was clean vocals over blast beats... Forefather did that on their debut album in 1999. Check out their release Ours is the Kingdom to see just have damn good it can be done.

Forefather should have a new album out this year too. :D
#254096 by mrbean667
Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:15 am
Meshuggah
Amon Amarth
Opeth
Dream Theater
Porcupine Tree
Ayreon

And of course, Decon and Ghost!
#254104 by Bookwyrm83
Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:04 am
Looking forward to Macabre's Grim Scary Tales. And Dev, but that goes without saying.
Otherwise I'll just take them as they come, I like to be surprised.
#254105 by Wosko
Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:10 am
What albums moved me most in 2010

As I Lay Dying - Shadows Are Security

The Devin Townsend Project - Ki

Misery Signals - Self Titled EP.

Strapping Young Lad - Heavy As A Really Heavy Thing

Sublime - 40 Oz. To Freedom

ZAO - Awake

DevilDriver - Self Titled

Blind Guardian - At the Edge Of Time

Soilwork - Stabbing The Drama

Hypocrisy - Catch 22

Meshuggah - Chaosphere

All those albums I listened to more than I usually would have in other years, got the time to dive into them and appreciate every aspect of the music. I would say my top album of 2010 is Ki no lie I listened to Coast on the way to work for like 2 months straight, helped me through a lot of shit that's been dumped on my plate throughout the year I really hope Dev comes to Inner Canada this year so he can sign my discs (He promised me this December '08 hehe) and tell him how much his music has helped me and how much it meant to me :')
#254168 by GuyOne
Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:50 pm
Great post but this thread is about 2011 albums. :?

The new Falkenbach album is just as I expected... much like Falkenbach. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I am a huge fan of the 2nd album ...Magni Blandinn Ok... but the other albums were a little hard to get into aside for a few songs. This album greatly reminds me of said album and I really dig it a lot. And for those who don't know Falkenbach sounds a little like Bathory's epic viking metal era. (aka Hammerheart). And for those who don't know Bathory.... GO LISTEN NOW.
#254170 by GuyOne
Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:02 am
And for those Amon Amarth fans:

Surtur Rising Track Listing:

01. War of the Gods
02. Töck's Taunt - Loke's Treachery Part II
03. Destroyer of the Universe
04. Slaves of Fear
05. Live Without Regrets
06. The Last Stand of Frej
07. For Victory or Death
08. Wrath of the Norsemen
09. A Beast Am I
10. Doom Over Dead Man

This looks awesome. The track titles could be some of the best so far by AA. Can't wait for Suurrrduuurrrr Rising!
#254171 by Kuu
Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:53 am
God damn! If that's not an awesome album cover, I don't know what is!
#254174 by Bookwyrm83
Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:47 am
New Battlelore is coming this month, so that might be interesting. Apparently they've returned to their heavier riffs from their earlier albums; we'll see if they live up to that claim.
#254175 by GuyOne
Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:46 am
I am at a difference with bands going back to original styles or ideas. I have never seen it happen. There are bands that do not stray too far away from their original sound. Look at a band like Kalmah for example. Aside for a change in vocal style after The Black Waltz (which they still practice the earlier black metal like rasping) they've really kept the same style throughout their six full-length albums. Or you get bands like Soilwork or In Flames that have gone so far past what they were when they started that even if they state "this album is going to be like the old ones!" no one can take it serious.

Regarding Battlelore... meh, I don't have any comments. I haven't really listened to them in the past.
#254177 by Bookwyrm83
Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:05 am
Their first two albums were faster than their subsequent releases, while keeping balance with melody and folk elements. That's not to say they changed their style, they just became less thrashing from the third release onwards, albeit without relinquishing darker riffs. Personally, I still prefer those first two for having that heavier edge, so I'll be interested to hear what Doombound has to offer.
#254179 by Rossell
Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:01 am
mrbean667 wrote:Meshuggah
Amon Amarth
Opeth
Dream Theater
Porcupine Tree
Ayreon

And of course, Decon and Ghost!

This practically.

New Cavalera Conspiracy album is due shortly also.