Talk about other artists here (even though they all rip off Meshuggah)
#257310 by Jaglavak
Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:54 pm
mrbean667 wrote:Bahahaha, so true!

DT will never stay afloat without Mike, as he was the source of creative inspiration, both lyrically and musically. Now it's only Petrucci who really writes from the heart. Everyone else has all the technical and virtuosic aspects down, but that's pretty much it.
The loss of Portnoy means the loss of all ties with prog music (Rush, Floyd etc), and a move towards the more 'metal' side of the band, which has only been exacerbated by Roadrunner.

/rant.

I agree completely.

Just wanted to ask... is anyone else almost saddened by how badly he's handled his departure from the band? I'm not a HUGE fan of him or his work, but I did like (and appreciate, as a fan) how much he put into Dream Theater's fanbase, and the time and energy he invested into the band itself. So, for him to leave then totally make an ass out of himself by trying to rejoin the band (because he realized how much it sucks NOT to be in DT, regardless of how creatively burnt out he may be) after he left citing a 'lack of enthusiasm'... it was a really bad move on his part. He even conceded that he STILL feels the same way (burnt out), but that now, he'd be willing to rejoin! That reads to me, unfortunately, like he's almost kind of miffed that they said 'Hey man, you can leave, but we're going to carry on without you regardless' instead of 'Oh God Mike, please, don't leave! All four of us will concede to your wishes not to tour or record; please don't go!

...I, for one, totally supported Mike's departure, and I understood his reasoning, but... I've lost a lot of respect I had for him, seeing the way he's handled the aftermath of the whole thing. Personally, I think a year or two off for DT would have been GOOD (just because I did sense a bit of... stagnancy, myself, in their newer material), but when four people want to continue on, and one doesn't... what else are you going to do? It doesn't matter how much of a role Mike had in the band, or it's founding; fact is, 4/5 of the band wanted to continue as usual, 1/5 didn't. Unfortunate situation, but... that's life.
#257375 by mrbean667
Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:29 am
That's a really good point. I feel that Mike didn't really want to leave, his departure was almost like a cry for help. That's backed up by his attempt to rejoin DT, but it seems that they really don't want him.
#257430 by soundsofentropy
Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:20 pm
I seem to remember Portnoy being quite a cock about the whole thing, and I wasn't really sad to see him go. DT hasn't really made a quality album in forever, so no loss there. Anyway, he's burnt out, but feels the need to try and join another band? And then they don't want him, so he goes crawling back to the people he essentially told to fuck off, since they didn't put his needs before the rest of the band's. He's an iconic drummer, and I really enjoy his style on occasion, but his ego is enormous (seems like it might be a prerequisite for membership in DT).

TL;DR: If you act like a pompous ass, even if you're a good drummer, people tend to treat you like one.

PS: I'm drunk. :coucou:
#262661 by hog
Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:59 pm
From what I have heard of the new Ulver album it's really disappointing. I absolutely love Ulver but unfortunately not this new one. :(
#262680 by sj_2150
Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:37 pm
Jaglavak wrote:
mrbean667 wrote:Bahahaha, so true!

DT will never stay afloat without Mike, as he was the source of creative inspiration, both lyrically and musically. Now it's only Petrucci who really writes from the heart. Everyone else has all the technical and virtuosic aspects down, but that's pretty much it.
The loss of Portnoy means the loss of all ties with prog music (Rush, Floyd etc), and a move towards the more 'metal' side of the band, which has only been exacerbated by Roadrunner.

/rant.

I agree completely.

Just wanted to ask... is anyone else almost saddened by how badly he's handled his departure from the band? I'm not a HUGE fan of him or his work, but I did like (and appreciate, as a fan) how much he put into Dream Theater's fanbase, and the time and energy he invested into the band itself. So, for him to leave then totally make an ass out of himself by trying to rejoin the band (because he realized how much it sucks NOT to be in DT, regardless of how creatively burnt out he may be) after he left citing a 'lack of enthusiasm'... it was a really bad move on his part. He even conceded that he STILL feels the same way (burnt out), but that now, he'd be willing to rejoin! That reads to me, unfortunately, like he's almost kind of miffed that they said 'Hey man, you can leave, but we're going to carry on without you regardless' instead of 'Oh God Mike, please, don't leave! All four of us will concede to your wishes not to tour or record; please don't go!

...I, for one, totally supported Mike's departure, and I understood his reasoning, but... I've lost a lot of respect I had for him, seeing the way he's handled the aftermath of the whole thing. Personally, I think a year or two off for DT would have been GOOD (just because I did sense a bit of... stagnancy, myself, in their newer material), but when four people want to continue on, and one doesn't... what else are you going to do? It doesn't matter how much of a role Mike had in the band, or it's founding; fact is, 4/5 of the band wanted to continue as usual, 1/5 didn't. Unfortunate situation, but... that's life.

wow... ive really been out of the loop. mike portnoy has left dream theater :shock: . shits gone crazy!
#262691 by EphelDuath666
Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:07 pm
hog wrote:From what I have heard of the new Ulver album it's really disappointing. I absolutely love Ulver but unfortunately not this new one. :(

I have to say that I kinda agree!

let's see...

new Dev Albums will be great...I'm just gonna assume that
looking forward to the new Dredg album, even if the last one wasn't as great as I was hoping.
looking forward to the new Fleet Foxes album
new Opeth should be sweet
new Anaal Nathrakh should be as devastating as I'm expecting it to be
if Sigur Rós release a new one, I'm sure I'll love it too
I'm hoping for a new Napalm Death album
#262735 by sj_2150
Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:19 am
#262877 by hog
Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:12 am
I wish Anthrax would get on with it. It's been years since the last album.
#262884 by Jaglavak
Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:27 am
hog wrote:From what I have heard of the new Ulver album it's really disappointing. I absolutely love Ulver but unfortunately not this new one. :(

Since the whole album leaked a while ago, and I actually have my copy physically in-hand... how's Wars of the Roses a disappointment, for you? That question goes for anyone who doesn't like what they've heard, really. I ask because I've read so many different reviews on it; it seems to be a very polarizing album, so far. I'm still on the fence myself; I just got my physical copy yesterday, and have already given it two full listens... still not sure what to think. I loved February MMX when I first heard it (thinking, 'if 'dark' pop is the direction they're taking, this is great!')... then I felt sort of let down when I listed to Providence on Youtube after the album leaked; it didn't strike me as anything special. Fast-forward to when it showed up in my mailbox yesterday, and now my opinion continues to change. The flow of the record is still something I'm trying to wrap my head around (February MMX followed by a track like Norwegian Gothic is... interesting), and there's still bits and pieces I'm not so sure if I like or dislike, yet.

England is great; my favorite track thus far (love the throwback to Shadows of the Sun with it's intro), while Island and September IV are right behind it. I like Providence a lot more than I initially did, too, and something tells me that I'm going to wind up loving the whole record, in the end. Stone Angels is great too; it's just such a long, winding piece that I haven't fully wrapped my head around it yet. I think it's beautiful and relaxing, but haunting in some respects... the whole album seems to be very turbulent, emotionally. Time will tell how I think it stacks up to the rest of Ulver's discography, which is at least a good sign as to how dense the record is - something that I love about their work. So many layers and details in every track... incredible, really.
#262892 by sj_2150
Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:41 am
hog wrote:I wish Anthrax would get on with it. It's been years since the last album.

i saw a vid recently of scott ian recording guitars for it, so it shouldnt be too long i guess
#263534 by fragility
Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:59 am
Jaglavak wrote:

Since the whole album leaked a while ago, and I actually have my copy physically in-hand... how's Wars of the Roses a disappointment, for you? That question goes for anyone who doesn't like what they've heard, really. I ask because I've read so many different reviews on it; it seems to be a very polarizing album, so far. I'm still on the fence myself; I just got my physical copy yesterday, and have already given it two full listens... still not sure what to think. I loved February MMX when I first heard it (thinking, 'if 'dark' pop is the direction they're taking, this is great!')... then I felt sort of let down when I listed to Providence on Youtube after the album leaked; it didn't strike me as anything special. Fast-forward to when it showed up in my mailbox yesterday, and now my opinion continues to change. The flow of the record is still something I'm trying to wrap my head around (February MMX followed by a track like Norwegian Gothic is... interesting), and there's still bits and pieces I'm not so sure if I like or dislike, yet.

England is great; my favorite track thus far (love the throwback to Shadows of the Sun with it's intro), while Island and September IV are right behind it. I like Providence a lot more than I initially did, too, and something tells me that I'm going to wind up loving the whole record, in the end. Stone Angels is great too; it's just such a long, winding piece that I haven't fully wrapped my head around it yet. I think it's beautiful and relaxing, but haunting in some respects... the whole album seems to be very turbulent, emotionally. Time will tell how I think it stacks up to the rest of Ulver's discography, which is at least a good sign as to how dense the record is - something that I love about their work. So many layers and details in every track... incredible, really.

I'm about three listens in...so far I'm largely indifferent...nothing's grabbed me either way yet, so i'm hoping it'll be a grower