Talk about other artists here (even though they all rip off Meshuggah)
#257392 by Leechmaster
Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:19 am
Octillus wrote:See, I have no issues with pop because there's absolutely no pretense about what it is.

Mainstream rap is a joke, and so I kinda have issues with it, but i also know I'm not the intended audience. The current state of R&B makes me want to cry, because old school R&B is amazing.

That said, I really can't stand most metal made in the last 5 years or so. I find nothing appealing to the hyper technical without soul garbage that my housemates and pretty much everyone else I talk to who are really into heavy shit like. It annoys me to no end, because honestly the shows I liked to go to just don't exist anymore.

Maybe I'm just becoming an old man far, far too early.

Stop stealing my brain... You pretty much summed up my general feelings on music these days. I used to be so into keeping up with various genres, metal in particular, but in the last few years have just not heard enough good stuff to keep me interested in putting so much time into looking. Even bands I used to love are starting to sound very stale to me. Rap has long since been slowing eating itself alive, which is an awful shame. Some day they might move away from the bitchez/bling/cribs/more bitchez/big cars/more bitchez approach and it might actually get some substance again.
#257394 by Billy Rhomboid
Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:14 am
A song that I simultaneous;y love and really irritates me is 'Stand Up and Be Counted" from Saxon's seminal and classic Wheels of Steel album. Great riffs, great tune, but for some reason there is a weird delay on the chorus vocals which makes "Stand up" into "Stand Stup" and it just really grates on the ear.

This has bugged the shit out of me and marred my enjoyment of an otherwise great album for 31 years now since I first received it as Christmas present in 1980.
#257410 by ppinkham
Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:42 pm
Octillus wrote:See, I have no issues with pop because there's absolutely no pretense about what it is.

Mainstream rap is a joke, and so I kinda have issues with it, but i also know I'm not the intended audience. The current state of R&B makes me want to cry, because old school R&B is amazing.

That said, I really can't stand most metal made in the last 5 years or so. I find nothing appealing to the hyper technical without soul garbage that my housemates and pretty much everyone else I talk to who are really into heavy shit like. It annoys me to no end, because honestly the shows I liked to go to just don't exist anymore.

Yeah, most everything you said is just a rewording of what our parents and elders said to us about "our" music versus "their" music. "Back in my day, people could actually sing and play their instruments! They didn't need gadgets or gimmicks to put on a show!" And so on. lol

Hate is a very strong word and I save it for people, not things. However, I strongly dislike most mainstream country music and pop.
#257416 by JuZ
Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:10 pm
ppinkham wrote:

Yeah, most everything you said is just a rewording of what our parents and elders said to us about "our" music versus "their" music. "Back in my day, people could actually sing and play their instruments! They didn't need gadgets or gimmicks to put on a show!" And so on. lol

Hate is a very strong word and I save it for people, not things. However, I strongly dislike most mainstream country music and pop.

What he said! I have very little animosity towards anyone who makes music these days, even if it's completely awful. It wasn't always the case, but I think I'm a more mellow person these days and reserve my distaste for the really nasty folk like dictators who kill their own citizens and all that stuff. There's enough to be getting angry about without getting angry with music I don't like.

THAT SAID :lol: I too will change the station if I hear most mainstream Taylor Swift-style "country" music (bluegrass and old school bluesy/country stuff like Hank Williams, Johnny Cash is cool in my books).

PS there's some really good hip hop out there IF you like hip hop, but like most things these days you probably won't hear it on mainstream radio.
#257420 by Octillus
Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:46 pm
Hey, no one said you couldn't like it. I, personally, just hear nothing of value most of the time. I'm far from an authority on everyone else's tastes.

My roomie is into some of this post-rock black metal stuff that I don't really care for either, but I can hear the heart in it.

EDIT: For the record, I know that there's good hip hop out there, I literally said mainstream hip hop for a reason. Same with over-produced R&B.

Don't worry, I know that there's other stuff out there. I definitely spent 3 years working in a record store and did pick up some really cool stuff.
#257434 by soundsofentropy
Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:38 pm
Daft Punk's "Technologic" is the most irritating collection of sounds I have ever heard. I fucking hate that song more than anything else. Music that doesn't really develop or have any feeling in it drives me nuts a lot of the time. Also Kanye West is the worst rapper (next to Chuggo) in the world. I'm not going to pretend I don't judge the shit out of things I don't like, because I do, but I don't think I could ever pick a "most hated" or "most loved" song. It all depends on mood, atmosphere, etc. Sorry, no open-minded or nostalgic wisdom in my post. :(
#257452 by djskrimp
Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:49 am
Octillus wrote:Hey, no one said you couldn't like it. I, personally, just hear nothing of value most of the time. I'm far from an authority on everyone else's tastes.

My roomie is into some of this post-rock black metal stuff that I don't really care for either, but I can hear the heart in it.

EDIT: For the record, I know that there's good hip hop out there, I literally said mainstream hip hop for a reason. Same with over-produced R&B.

Don't worry, I know that there's other stuff out there. I definitely spent 3 years working in a record store and did pick up some really cool stuff.

Mainstream hip-hop = the new Nashville?
#257454 by Bookwyrm83
Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:57 am
My sister recently played me Go Ninja Go by Vanilla Ice, just because she wanted to be nostalgic. She finds it funny; I knew there was a reason I had banished that song from my memory.
#257483 by simbelmyne
Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:34 am
soundsofentropy wrote:Daft Punk's "Technologic" is the most irritating collection of sounds I have ever heard. I fucking hate that song more than anything else. Music that doesn't really develop or have any feeling in it drives me nuts a lot of the time. Also Kanye West is the worst rapper (next to Chuggo) in the world. I'm not going to pretend I don't judge the shit out of things I don't like, because I do, but I don't think I could ever pick a "most hated" or "most loved" song. It all depends on mood, atmosphere, etc. Sorry, no open-minded or nostalgic wisdom in my post. :(

have you heard what Kanye West has done to King Crimson's 21st Century Schizoid Man? :chain:
#257494 by Aden
Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:31 am
daneulephus wrote:MMM BOP

I have to walk down Hanson Lane every day, to and from Uni. Every time I see the road sign, it gets that song stuck in my head. Very annoying.
#257497 by Leechmaster
Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:38 am
simbelmyne wrote:
soundsofentropy wrote:Daft Punk's "Technologic" is the most irritating collection of sounds I have ever heard. I fucking hate that song more than anything else. Music that doesn't really develop or have any feeling in it drives me nuts a lot of the time. Also Kanye West is the worst rapper (next to Chuggo) in the world. I'm not going to pretend I don't judge the shit out of things I don't like, because I do, but I don't think I could ever pick a "most hated" or "most loved" song. It all depends on mood, atmosphere, etc. Sorry, no open-minded or nostalgic wisdom in my post. :(

have you heard what Kanye West has done to King Crimson's 21st Century Schizoid Man? :chain:

I haven't heard that but you have reminded me of just how much I fucking HATE Kanye West. I will instinctively lunge at any music player from which his pestilent shite is spewing... Cannot stand him and his stupid remixes.
#257507 by Aden
Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:00 pm
Leechmaster wrote:
simbelmyne wrote:

I haven't heard that but you have reminded me of just how much I fucking HATE Kanye West. I will instinctively lunge at any music player from which his pestilent shite is spewing... Cannot stand him and his stupid remixes.

I'm sure you've already seen this:

[youtube]zIUzLpO1kxI[/youtube]
#257508 by Leechmaster
Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:09 pm
Aden wrote:
Leechmaster wrote:
simbelmyne wrote:

I'm sure you've already seen this:

[youtube]zIUzLpO1kxI[/youtube]

What the fuck was he on about... I haven't seen that before at all. How did they keep straight faces when he said that!? :lol: