Talk about other artists here (even though they all rip off Meshuggah)
#257435 by soundsofentropy
Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:51 pm
Musically speaking, what are yours? I'm talking about shit you either wouldn't want to be caught listening to or singing along to, whatever.

For instance, I like Lissie, even though I would feel embarrassed as hell to listen to her in public. Also, old Eminem stuff, some CunninLynguists, Seventh Wonder (so cheesy, but so awesome), Elysian Fields, Melody Gardot, Emiliana Torrini, Gota Yashiki, some fuckin' video game music (hell yeah, Koji Kondo!)...you get the idea.

Please, no diatribes about how you love all music and you're totally unashamed of listening to any particular thing--I'm not interested in that shit. I'm interested in those willing to invest in the anonymity of the internet and give up their secret favorites.

Oh, did I mention Rick Astley? Damn, that fucker's catchy.
#257446 by Pik_Nick'92
Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:29 am
Listening to Simon and Garfunkel, especially, "The Sound of Silence".
Tasmin Archer's "Sleeping Satellite". I know, not really manly to listen to a woman singing some pop.
But I like it. Its very atmospheric and well, dreamy I suppose. Finally those synth driven 80's Van Halen songs like "When its Love"
or "Love Walks In".

Generally, I'm a fairly open listener to most music. But I have to admit, those songs do make me feel ashamed at times :lol: .
#257461 by Leechmaster
Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:07 am
We has been here before...

I killed that one with my admission that I love Avril Lavigne's song Losing Grip. :lol:

Don't really have any guilty pleasures. I likes what I likes and there's nothing to feel guilty about! Even though that Lavigne song's a bad one alright... :P
#257481 by daneulephus
Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:27 am
I feel guilty about nothing I like. But, what would be "considered" a guilty pleasure- Justin Timberlake, Winger, umm...Michael Jackson, but I think it's cool to like him isn't it?
#257482 by soundsofentropy
Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:29 am
Pik_Nick'92 wrote:Finally those synth driven 80's Van Halen songs like "When its Love"
or "Love Walks In".

Fuck yeah! I love the '80s!

Leechmaster wrote:We has been here before...

I killed that one with my admission that I love Avril Lavigne's song Losing Grip. :lol:

Don't really have any guilty pleasures. I likes what I likes and there's nothing to feel guilty about! Even though that Lavigne song's a bad one alright... :P

I don't always post new threads, but when I do, I always do so without seeing if there's a 4-year-old thread identical to mine. :wink:
#257489 by EphelDuath666
Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:36 am
soundsofentropy wrote:Emiliana Torrini.

you mentioned one of mine right there...but she's great so I'm not feeling too guilty about it :D

oh and I love Alicia Keys...both her music and her looks :P I very much admit it though. 2 years ago I played her music at a Metal Festival while selling merch with my buddies and everyone looked at me and was like 'WTF???' :lol:
#257492 by Billy Rhomboid
Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:23 am
Bookwyrm83 wrote:80's power ballads i.e.:
Phil Collins - In The Air Tonight

No, I'm sorry. That just makes you a cunt.

Hmmm. Tricky one this. Once you've had kids and get used to singing along lustily to 'The wheels on the bus' and so on on a daily basis, the old shame reflex atrophies rapidly.

I guess my killer dance routine to 'Living La Vida Loca' would be the most at odds with my hyper-hip public persona.
#257504 by swervedriver
Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:58 am
Leechmaster wrote:We has been here before...

Haha yes. Still listen to her occasionally.

Also, the Dragonball Z soundtracks.
#257506 by Aden
Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:58 pm
I'm not so much ashamed/embarrassed to listen to certain stuff in general public, or especially on here (with the diversity of stuff peeps on here listen to), but if I imagine myself at a metal festival or something like that, in a conversation with some fellow hardcore METAL-FUCKING-HEAD about what music we like, there are things I'd certainly keep quiet.

I don't know of too much Rap/Hip-Hop cus I've not spent the time 'researching' artists, but I have a lot of Eminem in my iTunes and like all of his stuff (bar the generic few 'bitchez money n blow jobs' tracks he has)

Cradle of Filth. Dani's vocals might be screechy and annoying to most, but it's some damn unique screechy-ness; Kinda witch-like, I think they sound pretty cool. (When I was 10 and saw the video for 'Her Ghost In the Fog' for the first time, I couldn't tell if he was a man or a woman... but that was somehow cooler)

A lot of Power Metal. It used to be my most listened to genre. HammerFall were my favourite band, not long before it changed to Rhapsody (of Fire). You gotta love a good ol' sing-along in your uppermost vocal register :P

Slipknot. Korn. Linkin Park. Limp Bizkit etc. (all mostly due to nostalgia)

There's always the odd mainstream, manufactured song on the radio that aint too bad. Those few little notes in 'Party in the USA' by Miley Cyrus (...or "by" Miley Cyrus) where she goes up high and back down again (just before saying "party in the USA") I've always thought were alright, for some reason.

I'm also reasonably easily swayed by sex appeal. ("Yeah, that song aint nothin' special... but she's pretty hot, so it's cool with me")
#257511 by Billy Rhomboid
Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:31 pm
Aden wrote:Cradle of Filth. Dani's ....Kinda witch-like, ... pretty cool. (When I was 10 and saw the video for 'Her Ghost In the Fog' for the first time, I couldn't tell if he was a man or a woman... but that was somehow cooler)

I'm ... reasonably easily swayed by sex appeal.

Dude, there is a line between guilty pleasures and suicide note.