Keep your spirits high and your demons low
#325134 by Bookwyrm83
Thu May 19, 2016 5:11 am
Now that we have a September release date, info that it will be a fully collaborative effort and fittingly bizarre album art, who wants to discuss/speculate what the album is going to be like?

It'll be interested to hear how much material he's going to have.
#325135 by fragility
Thu May 19, 2016 11:49 am
Always up for some wild DT related speculation. As always, I'll reserve excitement and expectation until I've heard it though.

I guess in my mind, im not sure where we go from Epickoud and Sky Blue. I feel like it's bound to have doe degree of continuation from the most recent albums, even if it's quite different. I just can't begin to imagine a logical progression from there.
#325162 by swervedriver
Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:42 am
I'm curious but not overly excited I think. The last DTP efforts (Epicloud, Z2) haven't really clicked with me apart from a few tracks. I think I prefer Dev's output when he mixes up the people he's working with (Casualties of Cool, Ki, Kat Epple on Ghost, Dirk Verbeuren on Deconstruction).

It's nothing against the DTP or any of their talents, but I simply seem to prefer the music when they're out of that particular comfort zone. So I'm hoping Transcendence will be a different beast, hence my curiosity. :)
#325221 by mikkomallikas
Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:29 am
swervedriver wrote:I'm curious but not overly excited I think. The last DTP efforts (Epicloud, Z2) haven't really clicked with me apart from a few tracks. I think I prefer Dev's output when he mixes up the people he's working with (Casualties of Cool, Ki, Kat Epple on Ghost, Dirk Verbeuren on Deconstruction).

It's nothing against the DTP or any of their talents, but I simply seem to prefer the music when they're out of that particular comfort zone. So I'm hoping Transcendence will be a different beast, hence my curiosity. :)

You're in for a treat. Got the promo yesterday and the first thing that I thought of: Terria 2.0.

After listening for 5 times I can say this is the best stuff Dev has released in ages. The forced heavyness of the previous mediocre albums is gone, mostly this is Terria / Synchestra kinda prog.

Inside Out still sends out shitty 256 kbps mp3 -promos, but it's still pretty obvious that letting the other guys to be part of the process and having Adam ‘Nolly’ Getgood in the studio with him is the best choice that Dev could make right now in his career. The over compressed 100 guitars in one song -sound is gone. Don't get me wrong, the trademark wall of sound is still present, but the sound on this record breathes. It's actually dynamic, mixed and mastered very well. Maybe the best sounding album the guy has ever made.

Like I said: Terria part 2. Hell yeah!

In-depth analysis and some thoughts about the songs coming up after I've listened to this at least 20 times. Can't wait to get my hands on the cd / vinyl.
#325224 by Shevanel
Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:35 am
mikkomallikas wrote:
swervedriver wrote:I'm curious but not overly excited I think. The last DTP efforts (Epicloud, Z2) haven't really clicked with me apart from a few tracks. I think I prefer Dev's output when he mixes up the people he's working with (Casualties of Cool, Ki, Kat Epple on Ghost, Dirk Verbeuren on Deconstruction).

You're in for a treat. Got the promo yesterday and the first thing that I thought of: Terria 2.0.

After listening for 5 times I can say this is the best stuff Dev has released in ages. The forced heavyness of the previous mediocre albums is gone, mostly this is Terria / Synchestra kinda prog.

Inside Out still sends out shitty 256 kbps mp3 -promos, but it's still pretty obvious that letting the other guys to be part of the process and having Adam ‘Nolly’ Getgood in the studio with him is the best choice that Dev could make right now in his career. The over compressed 100 guitars in one song -sound is gone. Don't get me wrong, the trademark wall of sound is still present, but the sound on this record breathes. It's actually dynamic, mixed and mastered very well. Maybe the best sounding album the guy has ever made.

In-depth analysis and some thoughts about the songs coming up after I've listened to this at least 20 times. Can't wait to get my hands on the cd / vinyl.

Amazing news! While I love the Epicloud sound to death and would be just fine with another album in that vein, Terria is probably the style that clicks with me most, there's something abut that album that just hits me emotionally. Any more tidbits you can give would be appreciated!!
#325228 by mymomlikesdogs
Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:17 pm
mikkomallikas wrote:

Finally! Something to go by, and your words have me excited.

I've been wanting Dev to make something more along the lines of Terria and Synchestra rather than more Epicloud-esque stuff, so color me hyped.

Looking forward to more in-depth thoughts!
#325229 by Bookwyrm83
Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:54 pm
Terria remains my favorite of his solo albums, so the description above has whetted my appetite significantly. Not long now.
#325231 by mikkomallikas
Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:06 pm
Sorry guys, I posted the whole press release that came with the promo but had to take it down. Not thinking straight at 07.30 am, I f'd up. Not as bad as leaking the album or anything, but still pretty stupid of me. :oops:

I've had a good relationship with the guys from Century Media for almost 15 years and don't really wanna ruin it now. It's not fair to the record company if I make something public in advance that's part of their marketing campaign. Will repost as soon as an e-mail arrives with the words "for immediate release" written on it.

I'll tell you more about the songs in a couple of days. There's no embargo for reviews or one's own opinions. :wink:
#325238 by Shevanel
Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:25 pm
Darn, the whole press release was posted and I missed it?!

I'm normally against leaks and experiencing an album before you can physically get the chance to hold it, but I sincerely hope Transcendence leaks early because I'm seeing him on one of the first dates on the tour and I would like to know the album before seeing any of it performed live. Feels like it would be such a missed opportunity hearing songs that you don't fully understand.
#325245 by swervedriver
Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:16 pm
Well, color me intrigued. Has an official release date been mentioned already? (sorry, been out of the loop for a while)
#325246 by mymomlikesdogs
Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:16 pm
swervedriver wrote:Well, color me intrigued. Has an official release date been mentioned already? (sorry, been out of the loop for a while)

September 9th, I believe.
#325248 by hugot
Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:13 am
Hello everyone, long time no post (years, I think) but Transcendence brought me back.

So, in reading the JSR postings of the different versions (http://www.jsrdirect.com/bands/devintownsendproject), vinyl looks like:
Side A: Truth, Stormbending, Failure, Secret Sciences
Side B: Higher. Stars, Transcendence
Side C: Offer Your Light, From The Heart, Transdermal Celebration
Side D: Gump, Loud

The digipack has all of these (except for Side D) on disc 1 and disc 2 has the Side D tracks plus 9 more :O. I hate I won't be able to play the other 9 songs on vinyl, but glad we're getting more music.