You are the rainbow! You are the sun to my chameleon!

#108481 by Das Schuetzenfest
Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:59 pm
Another good one (again, in german):

pommesgabel.de
( Pommesgabel = french fries-fork = \m/ :wink: )

The reviewer makes a very interesting point: „Synästhesie“.

Synästhesie = synaesthesia

"Synaesthesia (also spelt synesthesia); from the Greek (syn-) “union”, and (aesthesis) “sensation”; is the neurological mixing of the senses. A synaesthete may, for example, hear colors, see sounds, and taste tactile sensations. That means, the perception of one stimulus evokes a second perception."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia

http://web.mit.edu/synesthesia/www/

Synchestra = Synesthetic Orchestra

Brilliant! :D

I know that it was discussed in an earlier thread, kind of, but still... :D

#108640 by Coma Divine
Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:33 pm
OK well, Synchestra is bustin' out all over and the spoilers are gone...so:

Commencing with a gentle, almost Celtic-inspired styled "Let It Roll" we are eased into the realms of reflective serenity...a sentiment only transitory however...as partway through "Hypergeek" comes the wake-up call. Things may not be as they first appeared, and our journey has commenced. A delightful rollercoaster ride is set in motion; taking the listener through a lush and luxuriant trek, past motifs and sonic designs somehow familiar to any longstanding fan...yet altogether enhanced and emotionally supercharged to the point of sublimnity.

The glorious affirmation of "Triumph" (with poignant Vai solo) at last gives way to the almost waltz-like intro to "Babysong"; which resonates with the sonic mayhem not heard since Infinity, albeit with a "full band/wall of sound" weight that enhances (and yet also contrasts) the song's underlying sentiment. Then, as if to pull back from the precipice...comes the wonderfully goofy "Vampolka" (who IS making those munchkin sounds? :lol:), an "intro in disguise" to the near-theatrical desperation of it's companion piece: "Vampira". Here, Devin and the band let fly with a bona fide headbanger complete with "HEY! HEY!" chants.

Before we know it, calm is restored in the form of the gentle meditation of "Mental Tan" which sails gradually into the Rush-like intro to "Gaia". One of Synchestra's epics; it is apparent that all is not well with the World...and one gets the foreboding sense that we are descending into a very deep realm. With an almost "Eastern" feel, "Pixillate" hoves into view... Possibly the musical apex of the album, the multilayered textures in "Pixillate" conjur up vast and grand visions of realisation and awareness over the course of it's 8 minute duration. With it's conclusion, there is a sense that a corner has been turned.

"Judgement" follows as an aftermath, almost a distant cousin to Pink Floyd's "The Trial" in emotional intent. Turmoil giving way to the possibilty of hope and survival. "A Simple Lullaby" then follows up to reinforce this feeling; pounding it's way to the thematic apogee of the album. Resolution. The first step in the denouement, "Sunset" gives the listener a pause to ruminate on What Has Just Happened, before "Notes From Africa" bursts joyfully in with a delicious guitar, and every instrument united in a testament to the post-"Judgement" awakening. Long unreleased, "Notes From Africa" finds a true home here as a celebration of humanity and humanity's place in the World, as evidenced by the final few minutes of the song - where we are left to ponder amid the delicate sounds of nature. As a delightful little madcap add-on, "Sunshine And Happiness" completes the cheerful picture (ooh YEAH) and gives us something to grin about as we hit the "repeat" button...

The second album from the Devin Townsend Band, SYNCHESTRA shows a songwriter at the height of his potential, with a band whose musical chops are given scope to really shine among the epic textural moods and variations that can be found throughout the duration of this disc. Prodigious talent is proudly on show here, from the album's production right down to the tiniest cymbal, guitar phrase, key and bass note.

If ACCELERATED EVOLUTION was a musical entity emerging from a chrysalis and drying it's wings, then SYNCHESTRA sees those wings put to damn good use...

10 out of 10.

Dave.

#109021 by odiz
Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:57 pm
Atari wrote:Synchestra in Kerrang?

HELL YES! (might take awhile to load fully)

http://clarepreece.co.uk/assets/kerrangsync.jpg

NICE! Thanks man. A fair enough review :D

#109039 by batmura
Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:37 pm
Okay, here is my review posted on Sea of Tranquility.

Synchestra is by far Devin Townsend's most varied work to date. It is underscored with every single trait that makes his music so unique and his artistic expressions so powerful. The album is characterized by complex guitar work, creative mixing, densely nuanced rhythmic anchor, and Devin's unmatched vocals. Stylistically, Synchestra seems like a combination of the production of Terria and the quirkiness of Infinity. Musically, however, it's a completely different piece of work, emphasized by Devin's two diametrically opposite approaches to songwriting.

As you might know, Synchestra is supposed to be the antithesis to Strapping Young Lad's last album Alien. That said, the album is neither as SYL-influenced as Physicist nor as atmospheric as, say, Ocean Machine. It does present an alternative to the Alien track "Possessions" in the form of "The Baby Song", which basically addresses the responsibility required if you want to have children. Its poppy, big chorus that repeats, "Why don't you have a baby? / Why don't you have a child?" becomes utterly engaging and sticks to your mind for days on end. With great dynamics and a big symphonic backdrop underlying it, the song then morphs into a textured number with awesome piano and concludes with a mercilessly heavy and fast outro section. Contrary to this catchy piece, the album has a slower, almost dramatic start. Beautiful acoustic segments on "Let It Roll" segue into the earthy tones of "Hypergeek", a track reminiscent of Terria, with lots of roosters, frogs and birds humming in the background, amidst insanely heavy, rapid-fire machine-gun riffery and plodding kick drums. The band wastes no time achieving that huge wall-of-sound vibe synonymous with any Devin Townsend work, be it solo stuff or Strapping Young Lad. Now with two brief tracks, the atmosphere is set and the colour of Synchestra defined. The first real track, "Triumph", kicks off with soaring melodies, great drumming, both clean and harsh vocals, awesome keyboards, until its first breaking point in the middle - a country type of acoustic jam will surprise many, including the biggest Devin Townsend fans, but the song then goes back to where it started, only to be interrupted by a dreamy guitar solo by Steve Vai.

The brief hook-laden "Vampolka" is busy with phenomenal bass (fretless?), some classical influences, raging organ, and awesome percussion. The piece immediately leads into its counterpart "Vampira", where Devin's vocals are so unusual and off-the-wall that I had to think of Infinity. His singing is catchy, yet at the same time very aggressive. This track would be a killer choice for a live performance, considering those "hey, hey" chants at the end. "Mental Tan" is a nice keyboard instrumental that once again brings to mind the more peaceful moments on Terria. It is followed by two of the album's most progressive offerings. "Gaia" (which was originally titled "Nail Broth") has a steady rhythm guitar throughout its six minute duration and features Devin singing in both gentle and growled styles. The piece then makes a foray into a challenging unison lead where each member finds the opportunity to display their chops. "Pixillate" may be a personal favourite for me. Going from the intense, stormy depths of Arabic vocals' dirge-like effect to the heavily pronounced bass and crashing cymbals, the track also a female singer who contrasts Devin's beast-like screaming with her beautiful vocal harmonies.

The vulnerable throbs on the densely layered "Judgement" lead into "A Simple Lullaby", which climaxes the album, thanks to its live vibe overall. Mixed with a wild concert crowd in the background, the song is mostly instrumental punctuated by "Earth Day"-like dynamics, but it does contain a lullaby sung in classic Devin Townsend fashion. Similarly, "Sunset" is also instrumental save for the melodies in the end, and it's highlighted by lush acoustic guitars, hand drums, organ sounds, and piano. If memory serves, "Notes From Africa" is a song that didn't make it onto Terria and has perhaps the strongest rhythms on the album. Drummer Ryan Van Poedervooen plays stunning polyrhythms whilst Mike Young on bass has a great bass bottom. It has a tightly-knit pattern that Devin follows with a complex counterpoint vocal line at the end.

Synchestra is another powerful musical statement by Devin Townsend. The deluxe edition is even better, as it comes with a DVD where the band performs live. This is bound to become another top release of 2006.

NP: Devin Townsend Band - Synchestra

#109085 by armheadmcgee
Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:30 pm
A fair review, yes, but who the fuck are the Meads of Asphodel? Amazon.com says theyre black metal...are they really like Dev in any way?

EDIT: this is referring to the end of the KERRANG review...

#109086 by Atari
Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:33 pm
armheadmcgee wrote:A fair review, yes, but who the fuck are the Meads of Asphodel? Amazon.com says theyre black metal...are they really like Dev in any way?

EDIT: this is referring to the end of the KERRANG review...

http://www.supernalmusic.com/labels/sup ... phodel.htm

Heard about them a couple of months ago....i'll check out the record at some point.

#109116 by Pisshead
Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:24 pm
THE MEADS!!! AMAZING BAND.

They are like Dev in a way, they're a HIGHLY experimental band, with untraditionally political lyrics and strange music. Unconventional like Dev's sort of, in a black metal band covering "It's a wonderful life" way.

#109147 by lotw666
Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:37 pm
Here is my take on it:

http://www.metal-rules.com/review/month ... &year=2006

***Scroll down to the bottom of the page & ignore the low rating given in our "Aggregated Assault" by my esteemed colleagues. Not everyone digs "The Dev" :oops: .

#109217 by batmura
Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:19 am
Hey Lord, what's up bro? Long time no see. I kind of stopped visiting the MR boards. Just read your review - great work.

I'm sorry all those guys rated the album low though. EvilG gave it 1 out of 5. Too bad, cause I think G rules.

Anway, great review from you, as always!

#109256 by Pisshead
Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:43 am
Atari wrote:Synchestra in Kerrang?

HELL YES! (might take awhile to load fully)

http://clarepreece.co.uk/assets/kerrangsync.jpg

I hate Kerrang, I can never shake the feeling that they are the most biast rock/metal rag out there.
But as long as they acknowledge Dev I'm happy.

#109277 by Atari
Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:59 am
And now my favourite mag....the mighty Terrorizer :D

http://clarepreece.co.uk/assets/terrsync.jpg

Also...edited down version of Vampira on the cd and a half page ad for Synchestra on the inside front cover.

....and the review for the AE/SYL show I shot :D

#109404 by lotw666
Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:45 pm
batmura wrote:Hey Lord, what's up bro? Long time no see. I kind of stopped visiting the MR boards. Just read your review - great work.

I'm sorry all those guys rated the album low though. EvilG gave it 1 out of 5. Too bad, cause I think G rules.

Anway, great review from you, as always!

Thanks, man :wink: .