You are the rainbow! You are the sun to my chameleon!
#123643 by bobbyjointritual
Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:42 pm
I used to be depressed, really bad. on a bipolar low. I was seriously thinking about suicide for the longest time. Then one day, I was listening to random songs on Winamp and "Sunshine and Happiness" came on. I thought "this song is pretty darn catchy" so i listened to it a few more times. When I was done, I pretty much became a happier person. Whenever I get depressed, I just listen to that song and I'm all better. It's better than therapy

#123645 by Kenshino
Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:42 pm
Yeah man, I hear you.

Devin may joke about it all the time, how you're not supposed to really take his music all that seriously and he's just a dude with a guitar, but he can leave a lasting impact on you.

I'm surprised you haven't listened to Stagnant off of Terria. It's what Sunshine and Happiness is without the humor.

To me though, his whole discography changed me. Albums like Infinity and Physicist (and his others, but mostly these ones) kind of show how it is okay to be a human. You're allowed to have faults. There will be times in life when you're let down. If there comes a time when I'm confused or feeling down, Devy usually finds a way to capture that emotion from me and lets it go.

Ahh, let it roll.

I'm fine if Devin wants to take a break from music for a while. He's already done enough for me as it is.

#123659 by Biert
Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:12 am
I'm glad to hear you didn't kill yourself :)

But that it was Sunshine and Happiness, of all songs. It's one of the least serious songs Devin has ever recorded!
Maybe that's the whole point.

#123664 by danceswithchickens
Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:44 am
I think "Material" is Devin's best cheer-up song. Never fails to make me grin...

#123666 by Edzecrüshaer
Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:56 am
Haha, that's fucking cool. Prooves everything is fucking possible here in the world.

#123670 by myra
Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:42 am
That's cool! It's always great to see that heavy metal and Devin has a positive impact on people regardless of what mainstream culture makes it out to be.

If I need some cheering up, I usually put in some Devin or watch the Vampira video. How can someone be sad after watching that?

#123676 by Kivenkantaja
Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:51 am
Hang in there bobby.

I've noticed the "healing power" :roll: of Dev's happy songs also.
Yesterday I was angry as hell. I wanted to kill something. Then I listened Alien way too loud. I was even more pissed off. Then I put on Terria and listened Stagnant once and had this stupid smile on my face rest of the day.

Ps. Oh and I didn't mean that to sound like 'I'm way more miserable than any of you!' but it just came out that way.

#123678 by FlatHead
Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:28 am
If emotional response is the way to measure quality in music, some of Devin's stuff is off the charts. Terria's the only album that has managed to make me cry, so that counts for something :)

Keep smiling, bobby. Get out in the sun with Sunshine & Happiness blasting and remind yourself life isn't as bad as it sometimes seems to all of us.

#123691 by Mayday
Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:05 am
Devins stuff can really be emotional intensive on such a personal level for me (obviously I'm not the only one Image )

Nobody's here is the only song (besides porcupine tree's "collapse the light into earth" which has a very personal meaning for me because of the lyrics) to make me cry. 'nuff said.

and stagnant...I remember how I was longing for summer this winter, I hated this winter at it has been the longest one in the last 100 years in my country. and when finally the first sunny and warm day came, I blasted Stagnant..."summer's here, the daylight greets the day, winter's gone, there's no more rain today". I was exploding with joy, never felt that good. thanks dev :)

#123702 by BaldMosher446
Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:17 pm
I guess you could say I'm a little weird because when I'm mad, I listen to SYL and that calms me down for some reason instead of making me more pissed off. I try to listen to his solo stuff when I'm mad sometimes, but it usually doesn't calm me, it just kind of stews me in my anger at that point. Weird, huh? :?

#123707 by Kivenkantaja
Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:29 pm
BaldMosher446 wrote:I guess you could say I'm a little weird because when I'm mad, I listen to SYL and that calms me down for some reason instead of making me more pissed off.
Not at all. Usually I calm down when I listen angry music but not always. That's kinda tricky.
BaldMosher446 wrote:I try to listen to his solo stuff when I'm mad sometimes, but it usually doesn't calm me, it just kind of stews me in my anger at that point. Weird, huh? :?
THIS is weird :shock:
When someone gets mad because of happy or relaxing music it's usually because the music is pure shit. But Dev's stuff? I won't be telling you my addres you sick, weird man :D

#123708 by fullgore
Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:36 pm
What!? You're BOTH twisted!

#123712 by danceswithchickens
Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:30 pm
If anything, "Sunshine and Happiness" makes me MORE suicidal...

#123777 by psychotic
Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:22 pm
I love Sunshine and Happiness. When I'm feeling down, I'll put it on and it'll make me feel much better.

Don't commit suicide, please. Just remember, there's a huge number of great things that can happen to you each and every day. Many are unlikely, but they can all still happen, just remember that. Even the things that are just plain good, focus on those rather than the bad things and you'll find life to be much more enjoyable.

#124350 by JayjayAbnormal
Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:56 pm
After reading Devin's commentary to "Let it Roll", than listening to the song, it helped me get over this girl I was in love with