The early years discussion: IR8, Wildhearts, Steve Vai, Noisescapes, etc
#65233 by plummer
Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:22 am
Man, never thought i'd hear that name again. Remember seeing them open up for Monster Voodoo Machine many many many years ago......when I was visiting in Vancouver. It was some dingy little basement club.

Then was in Fiasco Bro's studio a day or two later and Devin came in for a visit. He was definitely a 'noname' back then......but for some reason I remember it (probably cause he was a bit of a freak!).

Ahhh....the good ol days.

#65365 by Marshall Bravestar
Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:52 pm
Why? What is Caustic Thought?

What kind of music was it?

#69317 by Blazingmonga
Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:55 am
Marshall Bravestar wrote:Why? What is Caustic Thought?

What kind of music was it?

Caustic Thought was one of Devin's previous bands. Byron Stroud was also in this band, I think Devin actually replaced Jed Simon (or the other way round). This was all previous to Dev working with Steve Vai

I dont think they ever recorded anything with Devin though.

Can you tell us any more about the gig Plummer? If I had a time machine I would love to go back and see this band...well, I would have a lot of things I would love to do actually, heh.

#133561 by Edkaye
Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:24 am
hey there, i just picked up the Caustic thought album off ebay, and am listening to it now. It is pretty good stuff.

To answer the question about Devin playing with them, I think he does play on the demo tap, but he is not on the album, though he is credited with co-writing "About Face".

I was bidding on an auction for the demo tape a few months back, but totally forgot when the auction ended, so I lost. it only went for about $5. damn!

#133562 by Josiah Tobin
Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:12 am
Came across this while doing a google search:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFk4lIq9low
Wicked stuff, there's some proper metal bass playing there. I can't believe I haven't heard this before, though I KNOW I've heard the band's name somewhere...

#133563 by Edkaye
Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:36 am
Josiah Tobin wrote:Came across this while doing a google search:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFk4lIq9low
Wicked stuff, there's some proper metal bass playing there. I can't believe I haven't heard this before, though I KNOW I've heard the band's name somewhere...

You know that isn't the same Caustic thought band right?

#133835 by Eyesore
Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:34 pm
That is some badass bass playing, though!

#142982 by Tracy
Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:10 pm
There was a video with Devin played on CDN TV called 'Planet Claire', a B52's cover.

#142985 by 21st Century Jesus
Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:42 pm
we have 1 song from CT on http://www.farbeyondmetal.com for you homies, its the Dev song even, with kind permission from Byron the viking if i remember correctly. and some more info on the band hidden somewhere else I believe...

Oh yeah, so thats that mysterious CT video clip, and if Tracy even says so then I definitely believe that it exists now. Very prolly the first Dev video appearance ever, would be fun to see it someday...

#142986 by 21st Century Jesus
Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:47 pm
http://www.farbeyondmetal.com/index.php?page_id=1059
we have 1 song from CT on FBM for you homies, its the Dev song even, with kind permission from Byron the viking if i remember correctly. and some more info on the band hidden somewhere else I believe...

Oh yeah, so thats that mysterious CT video clip, and if Tracy even says so then I definitely believe that it exists now. Very prolly the first Dev video appearance ever, would be fun to see it someday...

#142987 by Goat
Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:57 pm
Didn't Byron kick Devin out of Caustic Thought? I know Byron kicked Devin from some band in the early years, I think Gene revealed it somewhere ...

#142989 by 21st Century Jesus
Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:07 pm
fro an old dev bio:
At this time Devin also began playing for a popular Vancouver band called Caustic Thought, replacing their guitar player, Jed Simon. The band also included Byron Stroud on bass and drummer Bob Wagner, currently in Canada’s Econoline Crush. They did one tour together, with no money, down the West Coast of the United States from Vancouver to Los Angeles where Devin "found" $400 in his bank account which he had forgotten was for his rent and was ostracized by the rest of the band for the foul odour of his feet. They returned home, Devin was evicted, and Noisescapes began.

from an old byron bio:
While he played in a few bands in high school, his first serious band was Caustic Thought which started in 1987 and featured, at different times, both Devin and Jed (among others) as guitar players. Jed left to pursue electronics school and Devin had begun his work with Steve Vai. Caustic released their first CD in 1995 but broke up soon after. The drummer, Bob Wagner, has gone on to join Canada’s Econoline Crush.

from an old jed bio:
"Byron Stroud approached me about playing in his band Caustic Thought. That is when Armoros ended, although it was already over, this was the clincher. I played with Caustic for three years, recording three demos and doing some very interesting touring. Many lessons were learned in this band as well. I left Caustic to go to electronics school, and oddly enough, it was Devin who replaced me. I got my degree in electronics, but I still can't fix anything, so don't ask!!

all from some stuff that was on an earlier version of the hdr site. to read more check the fbm bios.

#143012 by Eyesore
Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:00 pm
I have the selt-titled and Sore demo tapes from Caustic Thought. You want photos?

#143021 by ASHORIZZOR
Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:18 am
Eyesore wrote:I have the selt-titled and Sore demo tapes from Caustic Thought. You want photos?

I want to see them please! + A picture of the IR8 demo tape if you don't mind brother?!

#143051 by 21st Century Jesus
Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:24 pm
Eyesore wrote:I have the selt-titled and Sore demo tapes from Caustic Thought. You want photos?

FUCK YEAH BRO! will gladly appreciate any documentation on those super old very hard to find releases and FBM it immediately! email to me scans or pics bauerhenrik@gmx.de or post em here.