Archived
#1114 by The Dev
Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:21 pm
Some answers...

In Detox, it's 'Hey you mo' , as in 'moron' I guess...

I could make a female singer sound perfect. Nobody in mind though...

St. Anger sounds like ass, but I respect James Hetfield for going to rehab, and however dopey his lyrics may sound sometimes, I honestly think he's doing it for the right reasons.

My PV settings:

Pre 5-6
Lo - 6
Mid - 2
High -2.5
Post - 4
Res - 6
Presence - 7

High gain channel, high input.

More stuff later...

[/b]

#1116 by Sinkharmony
Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:23 pm
The production of St. Anger is so bad it is completely unlistenable. Their reasoning was that "everyone makes pretty sounding records nowadays, we wanted to be rebels and do something that sounded edgy". If by edgy they meant extremely annoying, then they were succesful.

#1148 by Guest
Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:13 am
Beyond the production, the songwriting is a bit weak no ?
How can you sound like a garage band when you play the million dollar rockers ?

Geoff
#1151 by Guest
Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:19 am
The Dev wrote:I could make a female singer sound perfect.

Could you please extend your thoughts ??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
ah ah ah Just kidding ...

Geoff

#1162 by Catatonik
Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:44 am
I would love to hear what you could do with Lacuna Coil (much easier considering Cristina is a fan of both you and Gene :) ).

But I would actually really like to hear you working with any female vocalist.

#1311 by Tim
Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:18 am
however dopey his lyrics may sound sometimes

I actually atribute the 'dopey' lyrics on st.anger to the rest of the band, being that this was the first album on which they had any lyrical imput.
Hetfield, on his own, is a great lyrisist IMO.
#1316 by riotryan
Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:37 am
I hated the snare-drum the first time I heard the album. But now I kinda like it. St. Anger is probably a rehab record, they're trying too solve the issues they've had in the band for a long time. My bet is that their next album will be a better one, cause now they know how to work together, so maybe they'll do it well the second time.

#1340 by LouiLoomis
Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:19 am
Although I did like it to start off with, the production soon dated it. I am still a fan of 'The Un-named Feelng'. "Been here before!!!"

#1344 by FinnAtLondon
Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:53 am
Just to join the off topic issue, I think Metallica lost the plot after the black album. I am not a big fan but there's no disputing that it was a well produced and consistently good rock album.

Anyways, what the satan is all this about:

-Rich geezers wanting more money out of kids downloading stuff... way to go Lars, respect!
-Whole country & western crap?
-St Anger... I really did not get the point of that one.

#1377 by MullHawk
Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:01 am
No solos, no excuses. St anger would of been ok as long as they had released the first 2 tracks and ended it there. The rest of the album did nothing for me, even the DVD couldn't save it.

#1447 by shankflanker
Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:35 am
Just an observation and nothing more... they complained about people downloading their songs illegally but they don't appear in the iTunes music store? Are they on any of the other legal download sites? Any plans for Dev to release his stuff through any of those mediums?

I don't know what's involved on the business side, so I don't know if that's really worthwhile for the artists or not.

#1519 by Morphine
Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:09 pm
Metallica doesn't support the iTunes music store. Their publicist released some bullshit saying, "they don't want to contribute to the demise of the record". The "record" has been gone for what? 10+ years now?They could have thought of a better excuse.

When your band is more of a corporate machine than a band, I guess it does make a difference if you want to "penny pinch". I think it's a bit ridiculous considering how much they make off of touring and merchandise...but at the end of the day it's their music and I believe they should have total control over how it is distributed.

I think St. Anger sounded like a bunch of random jam sessions cut and pasted together in ProTools and was called an album. It sounds like Metallica's relationship with Bob Rock as Producer has run its course. They need a new, fresh set of ears in there that are in tune with what's heavy and popular today producing their records. If all the riffs and parts on St. Anger were arranged differently (with a little more thought) and perhaps some more beefed up drum parts, I think it would have been a really slamming record.

Frankly, I think they should have Dev produce the next one. I'd put money on the fact that it would at the very least sound heavy as fuck.

#1520 by shankflanker
Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:12 pm
I guess I'm closed minded but I stopped diggin' their stuff after 'Puppets. Justice was okay, but the drums were really tinny and thin to me. Their early, raw, energetic stuff and underground mentality really appealed to me at that age.

#1535 by Guest
Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:23 pm
Shit .... The production on the black album is phenomenal !!!
For me with F.U.C.K of Van Halen those both records have the sound I'd like to get if I was starting a band ...

But I'm just an old and fat bastard that sings in the shower to forget its rockstars disillusions ... :lol:

PS : I'm not Axl Rose :disturb:

Geoff

#1542 by steve_dave
Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:31 pm
it really baffles me that Metallica even considered the production on that album ok. my main beef is that god awful baking tray snare, it's a real shame because i watched all of the 'pre-anger' publisity shows and stuff and when they played/ play (leeds was goooooood) it live it sounds good... shame i wasted money on the record.