Archived - Discussion about records and bands produced by Devin
#167559 by Griff
Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:19 am
GRRRR!! Volume 1: Extreme Music From Vancouver is a compilation CD that Devin released around the time Ocean Machine: Biomech came out. In fact, I got my copy of GRRRR!! as a freebie attached to Biomech. Devin produced the music on it, and it has the HDR stamp on it.

I couldn't find anything on this AWESOME compilation on the forums anywhere else, and I figured this was the best place to talk about it.

Does anyone else own it? I'm trying to locate other tunes by the bands who appear on it...

Track listing:

- Strapping Young Lad
1. Oh My Fucking God (it features a neat short "live" intro by Devin)
- Subversion (tracks 2 and 3 are mistakenly swapped over on the CD)
2. Prototype
3. Christ Disruptor
4. Prefabricator
- Bombscare
5. Stone 314
- Punchdrunk
6. Tug The Tapeworm
7. On The Rocks
8. TSMII
- August Frost
9. Krickets
- Cystem
10. Divided Process
- Minority
11. Eyes
- Strapping Young Lad
12. Centipede (Previously Unreleased)

Does anyone on here live in Vancouver and can tell me if any of these bands are still around, and do they have any other material I could acquire? I know Punchdrunk later renamed to The Almighty Punchdrunk, and Gene drums for em. I bought their album Music For Them Asses, and I quite like it. Also, I know some of the guys in Bombscare later formed Evenlight. I managed to get hold of an old Bombscare demo CD from one of the Evenlight dudes. Oh, and two of the guys from Punchdrunk were also in Minority.

In the GRRRR!! inner notes it mentions that Subversion had an EP named Foul. I wants it! Also, August Frost put out an album called Engines of God. Anyone got it, heard it?

Oh, and I haven't posted on the HDR forums in well over a few years! : P

Laters!
Last edited by Griff on Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#167563 by Blazingmonga
Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:17 am
Hey Griff, great thread topic!

I too own this, and it does indeed rule. I also really, really want the Subversion EP. This is a really great compilation, and I too would love to know more about any of the bands involved.

My favourites have to be the Subversion, Cystem and Punchdrunk stuff. The Subversion stuff is especially groovy and I have been keen to know what happened to that band for some time.

So, if anyone out there knows anything...help us out!
#168944 by Griff
Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:00 pm
In my car the August Frost track has a slight "clicking" noise I hear now and then... It's coming from the tweeters I think. All the other tracks are fine... Has anyone else noticed this?

Who else has this awesome CD?
#171769 by Love of Socks
Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:24 pm
I asked my friend for you. He's not from Vancouver but tends to know people/things.
___
Members of Bombscare indeed kicked around the Dev-verse after the split. Brian went on to join DTB as well as forming Evenlight and Funktard. Their drummer Munesh played Chicken Feather era live keys for SYL before leaving to join Hank WIlliams III. And the bassist on Look Out! He's got a Shiv, Dean ZImmer (R. I. P. ), had a hole some friends named a band after.

The last thing I heard about Punchdrunk involved their taking on Val from ZImmer's as vocalist a few years back. Cam (and yeah that's him on For Those Aboot to Rock) was involved with Savannah last I knew.

As for Subversion, Stu Carruthers was the main "name" to come out of that. He was announced as a member of an early line up of Jed's Tenet, did some demos with Ani Kyd for Fuel Injected .45, and recorded/toured with Grip Inc. for (I think) the Incorporated era. Currently, he is in Golers.
I did have a few spare copies of Foul. Feel free to pass the folks looking for it the number of the guys who held my car for a couple days after the accident. The discs were in there when it happened and mysteriously gone when I came to reclaim my stuff.
#171775 by Biert
Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:12 am
It's all one big incestual orgy :lol:
#171782 by Griff
Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:33 am
Sucks big time he lost all copies of Foul. I am still hoping to get a copy somehow, but I think it might be a wild dream...
#171836 by Love of Socks
Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:28 am
What really sucks is the two were kept apart from the main library because they were earmarked as giveaways. As for getting one yourself, I have an inquiry out to the source of the last three. There's no guarantee of a response but we'll see.
#171857 by Griff
Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:16 pm
Oh man, that'd be so awesome! Not a big deal if it falls thru, but if it doesn't that'd be so cool of you! : )
#274611 by Griff
Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:32 pm
I found a link to buy August Frost's album, Engines of God from Chapters.ca, but I think all copies have sold now (maybe there were only a couple at best). See here: http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/music/Eng ... kwsec=Home

There also appears to be an entry for August Frost on the Metal Archives site, which is great to see. Has full album track list for Engines of God, and even the album artwork (though small). And apparently they had a demo which came out a couple years before EoG. http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/August_Frost/129957

Looks like Minority also have a MA entry (though it says they're from Toronto, which might be true - listen to the lyrics on the song Eyes from GRRRR!!): http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Minority/3540258326

Subversion from Canada, but also from the east (Quebec), so prolly not the Vancouver Subversion one? http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Subversion/26254

Nothing comes up in MA for the other bands. Not even Punchdrunk (or The Almighty Punchdrunk). Boo.

Does anyone reading this live in Vancouver and can maybe ask at Scrape Records if they know anything? That's where I managed to score my copy of Punchdrunk's Music For Them Asses. Actually, I'll just email em... I've only been to Vancouver a handful of times, but really want to move there! I'm also curious what the Metal scene is like... Anyone care to comment?
#277781 by Love of Socks
Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:52 am
That's the correct tracklisting. Actually listening to the EP right now for the first time in years. Wish it was longer than fifteen minutes but otherwise no complaints.
So far as tracking one down goes, your best bet is finding a band member. That's where the three I saw awhile back came from. Same with the Bombscare demo anthology kicking around the house. Another very slim possibility is one buried somewhere in HevyDevy records stock. It's nOt likely by any stretch but they stumbled across a stash of caustic thought discs once.