Hey! You're awake!
#225864 by swervedriver
Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:21 am
Wander wrote:I don't think this one's been posted here yet:

http://www.hardcoresounds.net/modules.p ... &func=4270

It's yet another very positive review. The worst one I've seen so far was a 3/5.

A bit of a shame that they include this quote at the end...
"Addicted! is really simple: 10 rocking songs and no bullshit." - Devin Townsend

...and then proceed to list Addicted with OM as the 11th track on the album. :)
#225869 by Wander
Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:01 am
swervedriver wrote:
Wander wrote:
A bit of a shame that they include this quote at the end...
"Addicted! is really simple: 10 rocking songs and no bullshit." - Devin Townsend

...and then proceed to list Addicted with OM as the 11th track on the album. :)

Well, they managed to put the old tracklist there. Weird mistake.
#225900 by gendralman
Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:35 am
Terrible thread.

Anyone seen any magazine/not-online reviews?
#226013 by manatee
Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:39 pm
The Oid wrote:
Topcat wrote:Gotta love the conservative bashing of an angry libral. I bet youre a big Bill Mahr fan

Anywho, to stay on topic, I'd give Addicted a solid 8/10.

Not to encourage this derail too much, but why do Americans seem to think that politics is binary? Someone that dislikes the Republican party isn't necessarily a Democrat, just fyi

Not to mention Bill Maher is not a liberal. Philosophically, economically, and politically he affiliates himself with the Libertarians. Of course, Libertarians and liberals couldn't be further apart on economic issues, and many philosophical issues.

My take on the American political system:

Americans are generally uninformed, apathetic, and lazy as it pertains to politics (I say this as an American, mind you). That means whenever someone bothers to pay attention to politics and international affairs, they will often hold dissenting viewpoints from the majority of Americans. These folks are generally labeled as anti-American, despite the inescapable fact that dissent makes a democracy stronger, not weaker.

Given the conservative shift in American thinking over the past 40 years, these "anti-American" folks are generally labeled as 'Liberals.' I suspect that during the era of liberal leadership in the mid-20th century, these same folks were labeled as 'Conservatives.'

I guess my point is that rather than a binary political system of liberal and conservative, we have a binary system of the 'informed' and the 'uninformed,' of which the 'uninformed' dominate the landscape over an ostracized 'informed' minority. This is encouraged by media outlets (both liberal and conservative) more concerned with advertising revenue than reporting actual news.

Basically, it's the greedy leading the blind by telling them exactly what they want to hear ("Your life sucks and the other Party is the reason why!")

Thank you, and good night.
**steps off soapbox**
#226014 by Fucktard
Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:04 pm
manatee wrote:Americans are generally uninformed, apathetic, and lazy as it pertains to politics.

So are the citizens of pretty much every other country in the world.

Now back to the topic at hand:

Dunno if this has been posted but it's quite nice.
#226037 by Amber
Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:38 pm
Bloody Hell. What happened in here?

Isn't it meant to be a review thread, and not insulting peoples grammar/opinions/political selfs? :wink:

I think everyone just needs to get themselves some tea/beverage of choice. xD

But anyway, still waiting for my tea, so no personal review from me yet, but the other reviews are looking quite good.
#226049 by ohmk
Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:16 pm
Nightshine wrote:
ohmk wrote:
Says the guy that has a youtube video review in which he sounds like a school girl :lol:

How old are you? Did I go up to you like an immature prick on the internet and insult you by any means?

My voice is something of which I don't have a high pride in, but you really didn't need to say that now did you?

I think I have a right to my opinion, but if you want to be like that, here it goes:

Ever since the beginning of this thread you've been whining like a 7 year old who didn't get a Nintendo Wii for Christmas because of the fact that I have an opposing opinion to the general consensus to the board's opinion on Devin's work. Sure, I like it. I like it a lot. It doesn't mean that you whine, moan and bitch when I don't like something as opposed to another thing.

"You have shitty tastes in music"

"You sound like a schoolgirl"

I'm going to kindly ask you to consider what you post before you post it. I want to be a pleasant guy, I really do. It's really nice to see Devin posting news updates to us, and he has some really neat insights. However, it doesn't seem as if the board members like it when an insight is different from their own. This isn't trolling, this is expressing my free speech, something embedded into the Canadian Constitution.

If this is the Devin Townsend fanbase, then I really don't want to be a part of it. Prove to me that I'm not amongst a bunch of pretentious little conservative assholes. It's really upsetting to me.

First off, I didn't intend for my comment to be about the sound of your voice in the video review, but rather the whole 'devin fanboy' comment you continually like to make, just when you sounded like the biggest one I've heard in my life just a few days ago. That's all.

I haven't commented on your opinion of addicted 'since the beginning of this thread'...I was only replying about Opeth, remember? I still don't know how topics can change so easily.

I just get the feeling you're one of those 'I like to say negative things to look smart and critical'...and it's a little annoying. That's all. You have your opinion and you can voice it, but so can I. It goes both ways, remember.

And that random conservative bashing? :lol: What does that have to do with anything? By the way, you couldn't been farther from the truth with that one. :)
#226055 by ohmk
Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:54 pm
Back to the topic...

I was picking out favorite tracks but I decided not to do that. I just like the honesty of this album. I love when artists are true to themselves and write for themselves. It's not really mine to interpret, but to enjoy. I think it's a semi-rare occurrence these days and I've really been enjoying it since release. Can't wait to hear it in the context of everything else.
#226100 by swervedriver
Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:45 am
Related to the interview link that was recently posted in the Interviews thread in the Dev forum:

http://heavymetal.about.com/od/d/gr/dev ... dicted.htm

Though this is easily one of Townsend’s strongest works, there’s also not much to see/hear within these grooves which hasn’t already been done by Townsend—with more or less the same degree of accuracy, minus Giersbergen—on prior records.

Call me a defensive fanboy, but it seems rather contradictory to praise an album as one of the strongest works and at the same time criticise it for being same-y.
#226165 by Thebruce88
Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:24 pm
Swerve, you could probably argue that on the whole, Ziltoid isn't terribly different from what Devin has done in the past, yet regardless, it's easily one of his best. I think the argument is that while Addicted isn't terribly original, the execution is fantastic.
#226193 by manatee
Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:37 pm
I think Ki has fooled some reviewers who aren't familiar with the concept of the DTP. Each album isn't supposed to be a radical departure, like Ki, but a tour of Devin's musical styles.

In a way, I think this is where Devin suffers for his genius; everyone expects him to reinvent the wheel with each CD. I'm sure Devin must feel that pressure on some level. It's like some people will never be satisfied with what he gives them.

Too bad for them, 'cause Addicted rocks!
#226285 by Amber
Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:10 pm
Thebruce88 wrote:Swerve, you could probably argue that on the whole, Ziltoid isn't terribly different from what Devin has done in the past, yet regardless, it's easily one of his best. I think the argument is that while Addicted isn't terribly original, the execution is fantastic.

I can see where you are coming from there, but I don't agree. It has some features of things he likes to use, but I think the sound, vibe an lyrical content are totally different from what he's done before.

But then, that's how I feel each of his albums seperate from eachother anyway, so maybe in a way it is like the others?

I dunno.

Either way I recieved my copy, and it's awesome. 8)
#226870 by Alex78
Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:47 am
quick preliminary song-by-song rating (review coming soon):

addicted: 8/10
universe in a ball: 8/10
bend it like bender: 2/10
supercrush: 9/10
hyperdrive: 6/10
resolve: 5/10
ih-ah: 5/10
the way home: 8/10
numbered: 9/10