Get down there and... well, you know the rest
#234446 by zachstaska
Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:40 pm
I would just like you to know that you have essentially changed my life. For such a long time I had fought to find a way to articulate the way I feel about my life and how I am, but simply could not find the words. Oh, but eventually I found them, and they came wrapped neatly in a package labeled "Detox". Now, I'm not going to sit here and tell you this song was written about me, because that would be insane, but Devin, if you were to tell me that you did, in fact, write this about me (using time travel, of course), I would believe you. See, I'm very antisocial in nature unfortunately, and can not bring myself to talk to people, even though there are a select few who I love to do nothing more than talk to. Recently there's been a person in particular (this is the part where you can assume I'm a sappy romantic type at times :roll: ) who I just couldn't talk to, but God how I wanted to. It was keeping me up at night; I couldn't sleep. I would try to converse online every day, but couldn't, and quite honestly I just wanted to get it all over with. After all, it shouldn't have been this hard. It was just your standard high school dribble.
Huh....does that sound familiar?
"I wish that I could sleep and Just get this over with. This is only High School bullshit".
:shock:
These were the words that were forced into my head, as I thought this. I did not start thinking this way after hearing them, no. I had been thinking it for weeks...this song just happened to say the same thing.
And that's when my heart stopped. I couldn't fathom that, honestly. I was in shock. If I knew for a fact God was real, I'd be convinced he showed me that song to help me out. To this day, I live by the words "So here are my hopes and aspirations. Nothing but puke. God I'm so lonely". Maybe I'm not reading it the way you wrote it, but it fits me the same. No matter how badly I want something (or aspire...), I simply can't do anything about it and it goes to waste (or puke). And I am, indeed, lonely.
But this song helped. That person I was trying to talk to? I did. Because of the triplets and the screaming and the "Hey, c'mon"s and the relation I had with the lyrics, I was able to tell myself "Fuck it" (or was it you who told me "fuck it"?).
So while I haven't gotten anywhere past the "talk to on occasion" point with this person, it's infinitely better than where I was before, and for that I thank you.

-Zach

P.S, Tell Gene his kick drums where a huge help too. :wink:
#246642 by Dirt_Pride
Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:52 pm
Nice story man, the song is so emotionally powerful its ridiculous.
#246696 by Helge-Uwe
Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:52 am
Yeah, Detox is and will always remain as one of the best songs ever music-wise and considering the lyrics especially. a true masterpiece.
#246747 by mrbean667
Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:38 pm
I bought the Arkham Asylum comic just because it influenced the lyrics.