All that I've known is gone, time to be moving on...
#281021 by Slatewoman
Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:09 am
according to the notes, it was intended to be part of the ocean machine album, but didn't make it for whatever reason.

what do you suppose it's about? it seems vague and/or abstract, but i kind of think it's a companion piece to 'life'. i don't know if the title is just a working title, but if ocean machine is a term for the human body, i'm not really sure what the song has to do with it because it seems to present an ocean machine as a more of a state of being or a plane of existence.

yeah, i just really like this song. huur durr.
#281043 by Octillus
Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:56 am
Oh certainly. It's on that list of demos of his that are some of the songs I like the best.

Like with everything he writes, it's kind of a stream of consciousness thing probably...

DERP :mrgreen:
#281071 by Bookwyrm83
Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:50 pm
It could be his interpretaion of the sea of life, swimming through a current that gives him a view of the world whilst he passes on to his own life's destination.

Or something like that.
#281079 by ppinkham
Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:44 am
I love that song. Devin is working on a kind of poppy album right now called "Epicloud," and plans on having Anneke sing on it. I keep telling Devin he needs to re-record "Ocean Machines" with Anneke on vocals for the album. I think she'd kill it. Though I love Dev's vocals on the demo, too.
#281085 by Faffy
Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:24 am
I REALLY REALLY REALLY LIKE IT! Yeah... I don't get much deeper than that. :p It's a catchy tune.
Also, I really like ppinkham's idea!
#281120 by Slatewoman
Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:50 am
hmm, i'm not sure i'd be into her singing this song. i don't like female vocals in general. she's tolerable, but mostly because her voice is fairly complimentary to devin's. i liked 'supercrush' WAAAYYYY more live when it was just him singing.
#291633 by New Millenium Man
Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:50 am
I think an official release of the song Ocean Machines would be great. Hell, I always like to play it as the spiritual "final track" to the album, but thats just me. As for Anneke singing it......I dunno. I really like her voice, but on this particular song.....
#291892 by Slatewoman
Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:45 am
New Millenium Man wrote:I think an official release of the song Ocean Machines would be great. Hell, I always like to play it as the spiritual "final track" to the album, but thats just me. As for Anneke singing it......I dunno. I really like her voice, but on this particular song.....

i made a burned copy of the album and replaced 'sister' and 3am' with 'ocean machines' because i listen to it while riding my bike and the ambient tracks usually end up getting skipped. yeah, i'm living in the stone age with my discman... lol.

i guess i don't dislike anneke THAT much, but yeah. it needs the sheer force behind the vocals that she can't provide. i feel like the whole thing would need to be toned down in order for her voice to work with it. it's a weird mix of spaced out and hard as fuck. it's really fast and driving and the way the vocals lay right in there next to everything instead of on top of it just would't work with her voice. it's come to mean too much to me to have it changed that much. in fact, i'd be happy to never see another version of it.
#314393 by Lettuce
Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:26 am
Stating something is a good idea and suggesting they might actually do it are two different kettles of fish. Don't get too excited.