All I need is this city and this mind and I will get by...

Favorite City Track?

N/A
N/A
15%
15%
10%
10%
6%
6%
4%
4%
6%
6%
5%
5%
1%
1%
4%
4%
1%
1%
#289958 by quakegod667
Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:51 pm
So, what's your favorite track on City? My personal favorite is Oh My Fucking God, closely followed by, strangely enough, Spirituality. Nobody respects Spirituality :sad:
#289988 by Helge-Uwe
Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:15 am
Spirituality is perfect, almost doomy. My vote goes to Detox.

.oO(doesn't a thread like this already exist?)
#289989 by Faffy
Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:23 am
All Hail the New Flesh!

Just because :D
#289998 by quakegod667
Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:32 am
Helge-Uwe wrote:Spirituality is perfect, almost doomy. My vote goes to Detox.

.oO(doesn't a thread like this already exist?)

Not that I could find. That's why I started one :D
#290151 by Ultimetalhead
Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:54 pm
This has to be one of the most difficult decisions I've ever attempted to make. Literally everything about this album is perfect. Though, I suppose when I'm in the right mood, Spirituality goes that one extra mile.
#290693 by Drowd
Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:54 pm
That was a though one.
I picked Underneath the waves because the chorus is simply too much for me to handle.
Dev seems inhumanly pissed on it.

But yeah, it could have been All Hail the New Flesh, Detox, AAA or OMFG
#290750 by Leechmaster
Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:30 am
I know it's not Devin's, by Room 429 is actually my favourite track on City and contains my favourite moment of the album as well:

Don't look to the ocean
Restless in its dreaming
Don't look to the heavens for they will tell you nothing
If living is for learning
Then dying is forgetting
Once we have forgotten then we can go on living

Love Dev's vocals on that part. Fair play to Cop Shoot Cop, they wrote a cracking song! After that it'd be Home Nucleonics and Underneath the Waves in second and third...
#290982 by ShortSonata
Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:33 pm
Spirituality, it's just a monumental song. The lyrics are so cathartic and those guitar riffs are simply crushing.
I'd probably have Underneath the Waves in second, just for that last chorus going into THEY'RE UNDERNEATH THE WAVES! THEY'RE UNDERNEATH THE FUCKING WAVES! THEY'RE UNDERNEATH THE WAAAAAAAAAVES!
And All Hail the New Flesh in 3rd, love the intense introduction and the I'm sorrys get me every time.
#291459 by Stantheman
Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:22 am
That would be Detox !

The riffs and chorus are just so fucking intense, and the drumming is perfect, it really bangs your head.
Dev vocals are awesome because they're not growls or screams, you can clearly hear what he says. But at the same time it still sound rough and fits the music.

I just love the lyrics "How did I reach this state, how did i loose my sight... i'm freaking, i'm lost " etc..
Oh and the good old "I've got a Penis" at the start, that i always hear now that i've seen that dumb youtube comment :roll:

The two lines of soft singing in the background toward the end are just icing on the cake, seriously Dev will never ever be match at combining super heaviness with melody.

I love the rest of the album, but as time goes on I have a harder and harder time enjoying too much intense screaming in one song, so being able to listen to something really heavy stuff with vocals that don't rape my ear is a definite plus.

I also really love this song because I discovered it with the clip that is really awesome in my opinion. So many bands fail so hard to do good and serious metal clips by including cheap special effect, too much "hair ventilation" or whatever you wanna call that. In this case the clip goes as fast as the music and has great camera work and lights. It restitute well the anger of the music and it's craziness with the "robot" guy parts etc..

And the clip has been done with very little money like any other metal clip, so props to that. Everything about strapping is better than most metal bands anyway : the name, logo, clips .. all stand out from your everage band, that used the same font that 1810980809 bands have used before and so on
#296168 by FiveSerpentsTeeth
Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:38 pm
Number 1 for me goes to Home Nucleonics. After that would follow Velvet Kevorkian/All Hail New Flesh (I'm counting the two as one song), Detox (which was one of the first SYL songs to get me into City), OMFG, and then everything else.
#296186 by Persuader
Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:58 am
Underneath the waves. The chorus is just so god damn desperate and pissed off, really got to me back in the day.
If I ever were to cover a SYL track this would be it. 8)
#308885 by BloodRed87
Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:42 pm
"Detox" and "Underneath the Waves" stand out to me, but I love every song on that album. I can't single out one track as a favorite.