The time has come to forget all the bullshit and ROCK!

Epicloud or Epiclouder - which is better?

27%
27%
23%
23%
#308908 by Wander
Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:32 pm
Self explanatory.

I just wanted to see what the overall consensus over here was as I've heard some people prefered the bonus disc.

I have not yet listened to the bonus disc in full and thus will not vote yet.
#308909 by NamasteLikeBender
Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:34 pm
The songs I like on Epiclouder are really, really good. But Epicloud is more consistent overall for me and it gets my vote.
#308911 by Octillus
Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:12 pm
when the dust settles, I will still cling epiclouder to my chest tightly.

Album of the year. Album of the project, album of Dev since maybe Terria. I'm not entirely sure yet. I adore every song.

Epicloud's good though.
#308912 by pandemic
Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:15 pm
really tough choice. id go with epicloud because of its overall production and sound..etc ...BUT!!!! i voted epiclouder because the songs are just better imo
#308919 by ppinkham
Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:56 pm
'Epiclouder' is amazing, but it doesn't strike a chord with me the way 'Epicloud' does. 'Epiclouder' is a great collection of songs, but it lacks cohesiveness for me. However, remove a few from 'Epicloud' here, add a few from 'Epiclouder' there, toss in "Cry Forever" from iTunes, and the project could have been the greatest Devin album ever known.
#308923 by Voradin
Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:35 pm
I'm glad we got both. It makes me shudder to think that Epiclouder might've never seen the light of day if it weren't for Dev's willingness to "put it all out there" for his audience... that would have been tragic.

FWIW, here's my ranking of the DTP so far:

1. Deconstruction
2. Epiclouder
3. Ghost
4. Addicted
5. Epicloud
6. Ki

Don't read that list and jump to the conclusion that I'm a balls-out SYL fugitive that only wants the ultra-heavy stuff. "The Death of Music", "Planet Rain", and "Pixellate" are still my 3 favorite Dev songs.
#308926 by HauntingTheHoly
Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:03 pm
ppinkham wrote:'Epiclouder' is amazing, but it doesn't strike a chord with me the way 'Epicloud' does. 'Epiclouder' is a great collection of songs, but it lacks cohesiveness for me. However, remove a few from 'Epicloud' here, add a few from 'Epiclouder' there, toss in "Cry Forever" from iTunes, and the project could have been the greatest Devin album ever known.

Cry Forever? :shock: What's that?
#308934 by ppinkham
Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:20 pm
HauntingTheHoly wrote:
ppinkham wrote:'Epiclouder' is amazing, but it doesn't strike a chord with me the way 'Epicloud' does. 'Epiclouder' is a great collection of songs, but it lacks cohesiveness for me. However, remove a few from 'Epicloud' here, add a few from 'Epiclouder' there, toss in "Cry Forever" from iTunes, and the project could have been the greatest Devin album ever known.

Cry Forever? :shock: What's that?

Bonus song available through iTunes.
#308936 by Octillus
Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:27 pm

See, I think Epiclouder is emotionally cohesive if not necessarily entirely musically, though I think it all carries the same vibe, no problem. The disk takes you on a ride. And I love it.
#309054 by orbsonb
Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:00 am
Neither of them are in the upper echelon of stuff Devin's done, in my opinion, though I did enjoy both of them. I think Epiclouder has more original ideas to offer and has stronger songwriting that doesn't depend on production sheen in the same way that the main disk does. A lot of the time when I'm listening to Epicloud it just makes me wish I was hearing Addicted or Deconstruction, because a lot of the ideas i hear on Epicloud feel like they were already explored and fleshed out more thoroughly on those two records.

For the most part, I've heard enough "over-the-top-crazy" stuff from Devin and it's starting to feel redundant. Most of the SYL catalogue, Infinity, Synchestra (to a lesser extent), Addicted, Decon and now Epicloud are all records that focus on big, loud, saturated, thick, as-much-sound-as-you-could-possibly-want-to-hear music. I think Deconstruction was really the logical apex of that element of his sound; he'd never done anything that technical and vast before and i have a feeling he won't again. At this point I'd love to see Devin explore more of the muted, grounded musical sentiments like he did on Ki, and Epiclouder invokes that kind of feeling in me in a way Epicloud doesn't (especially Quietus, Heatwave, Little Pig, and Love and Marriage). Even the heavier songs on the bonus disk are less reliant on sonically pummeling the listener.

Devin's best gift as a writer, if you ask me, is his ability to write memorable melodies. My favorite records that he's made, (Ocean Machine, Terria, and Ki) all seem to be crafted around the melodies in a way that lets and heaviness/loudness just fall into place as opposed to the reverse, which I feel is true of SYL/Decon/etc. I really enjoy most of Devin's work, but at this point in my life as a listener I'd much rather hear him dial back the gain and compression a little bit and make some music with a little room to breathe the way he did on Epiclouder.
#309061 by Negoba
Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:13 am
So I don't buy physical media anymore.

I got Epicloud with the bonus tracks (Cry Forever is great and Take My Ego is a good track too)

Anyone know of downloadable Epiclouder? Full intention to pay full price, the more going to Dev the better.
#309090 by Wander
Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:24 pm
Epiclouder is a really good collection of songs, I think. Disjointed yes, but I think that if I were to simply rate each song in a 0-10 scale, Epiclouder would come up with a higher average. I'll have one more listen through both and I think I'll have a conclusion.

^I know of many places where to download Epiclouder. None where you can pay for it. Take my advice, just pirate it and pay for something else that's Devin-related if you have to.
#309097 by Pockets1777red
Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:18 pm
Wander wrote:Epiclouder is a really good collection of songs, I think. Disjointed yes, but I think that if I were to simply rate each song in a 0-10 scale, Epiclouder would come up with a higher average. I'll have one more listen through both and I think I'll have a conclusion.

^I know of many places where to download Epiclouder. None where you can pay for it. Take my advice, just pirate it and pay for something else that's Devin-related if you have to.

Or donate to Devy through http://www.hevydevyrecords.com/
#309193 by Marijn
Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:38 am
Funny to see that a 'bonus disc' is so much appreciated. I really like it as well, but since Epicloud is the CD which contains the real 'message', it has a better overall feeling.
#309207 by anoxiauk
Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:57 pm
I've probably listened to Epiclouder more. But i agree that a bit of track swapping would've made for a much stronger overall album. Given Dev's original description of his plan for the album, the likes of Love Tonight, Love and Marriage, Happy Birthday and Take My Ego would've been better suited to the album than the likes of Liberation (great track, but doesn't really fit the supposed 'concept'), Lucky Animals (like the verse and bridge, but the chorus is pretty lame) or More! (just doesn't do it for me).

Still, once I get hold of the vinyl bonus track, that's still another 26 new songs from the man. Can't really complain!