The time has come to forget all the bullshit and ROCK!
#310159 by Meh
Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:57 am
I was listening to Save Our Souls in the early hours on my ipod and noticed what I think are sound edits. Originally I thought it was skipping or such when I ripped the CD but they seem to be within the song on the disc too. Does anyone else hear them? If not, it maybe just a problem with my disc. The first is at 0.54 in the right ear and the second 1.16 and there's a slight crackling at 1.19. There's probably more I'm sure.
#310168 by pandemic
Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:42 am
Meh wrote:I was listening to Save Our Souls in the early hours on my ipod and noticed what I think are sound edits. Originally I thought it was skipping or such when I ripped the CD but they seem to be within the song on the disc too. Does anyone else hear them? If not, it maybe just a problem with my disc. The first is at 0.54 in the right ear and the second 1.16 and there's a slight crackling at 1.19. There's probably more I'm sure.

my cd doesn't even have that track. you lucky animal you.
#310174 by Wander
Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:25 pm
Assuming you are talking about Save Our Now, I can hear the slight crackling sound at 1.20. The other things I don't know what exactly you are talking about.
#310188 by MrDishington
Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:36 am
This might just be me being dumb but does anyone else hear a quiet crackly hiss over various sections of Liberation too? I've listened to it with different people and they can't hear it but whenever I listen to that song it's so prominent that I can't help thinking it's in there deliberately.

I'm going to look out for bits in Save Our Now though too.
#310195 by Meh
Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:59 am
Thanks guys for the feedback! To hear them (for me) you need to listen under the music as such, and they are quite faint depending on the quality of your hearing. I don't hear any crackling hiss in Liberation but have heard a few of them blips from Save Our Now in that track. In editing videos I've sometimes got similar around sound edits and I think it's caused by edits between bits of data. I've also gotten them if I apply some shitty audio filter to sound and I think Devin uses a lot of filters in songs. It's kinda annoying because once you hear them it's hard to unhear them! Although for listening outdoors you wouldn't notice but late at night through headphones it's a bit of a mood-killer.
#310210 by MrDishington
Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:00 am
Maybe I'm just going crazy then! I don't have a trained ear to these kinds of things but I guess it's more obvious to someone that faces these problems. Must be irritating once you do hear bits like that. I'm the same with hearing someone take a deep breath in a song (especially Muse) or someone sliding up a guitar in acoustic songs, they're not mistakes but they can be distracting from the song sometimes.
#310229 by Meh
Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:53 am
Abydost wrote:Bad mastering? :)

I don't think so. Mastering just affects the overall sound, these sound like very quickly done sound edits or digital artifacts from sound filters, but I'm no music expert.
#310278 by NamasteLikeBender
Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:12 am
MrDishington wrote:This might just be me being dumb but does anyone else hear a quiet crackly hiss over various sections of Liberation too? I've listened to it with different people and they can't hear it but whenever I listen to that song it's so prominent that I can't help thinking it's in there deliberately.

I'm going to look out for bits in Save Our Now though too.

In Liberation, I sense some funkiness in the hi-hat. I'll listen to Save Our Now in a bit to see if anything is off.

EDIT: Nope.
#310283 by Meh
Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:30 am
I should've been smarter! I checked an upload of the song to youtube which I didn't upload myself and can hear them there. The first is between the 'y' and 'n' that Anneke sings of 'happy now' at 0.54 seconds in. You can hear a 'click' - it definitely sounds like a edit. Anyway, thanks for the help guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyZILrE9e50
#310301 by Wander
Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:51 am
Oh yeah, I can now hear it too. I just missed it cause it's perfectly in beat.

They are not quite big enough to really bother me, the crackling maybe does a bit, but it's pretty faint.
#310641 by Bookwyrm83
Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:25 am
Pariah Saint wrote:Maybe you guys are just hearing bacon sizzling....

Or maybe Dev was cooking up them cheeseburgers.