Whoa, this is so heavy! And unbelievably cheesy!

Z2

#310778 by Ultimetalhead
Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:32 pm
So, I'm kind of shocked we don't have a thread for this yet. Let's have merry conversation about our hopes/dreams/expectations.

Devin Townsend ?@dvntownsend: I may have just written the heaviest thing I've ever done... holy shit.

Will Oh My Fucking God be dethroned?
#310779 by NamasteLikeBender
Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:57 pm
I think the debate should be "Which Devin Townsend song is actually the heaviest?"

Because I don't think OMFG is it.
#310780 by Bookwyrm83
Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:31 pm
I always thought Happy Camper was heavier, myself. OMFG was comparatively better written.
Then again, he had similar thoughts about Deconstruction initially, so we'll see how it evolves.
#310781 by TerminX
Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:35 pm
I'm gonna have to go with Oh My Fucking God. Happy Camper's a close second, though.

As for that tweet, holy shit hype. For the guy that wrote the above two tracks, that's really saying something.
#310782 by Octillus
Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:47 pm
The answer is always Shitstorm.
#310783 by Jaglavak
Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:45 pm
Octillus, I'd agree with you, but... those noises Dev makes in OMFG are not human. So I have to go with the latter on this one. Both among the most delightfully devastating things I've ever heard, though. :D

On-topic: He called this new track the 'opposite side of the same coin as Grace', which struck me as kind of odd because... what's the opposite of Grace, musically? It already is heavy. So I'm definitely interested to see how this sounds/how it fits into Z2 as a whole, because he also mentioned in the liner notes for Epiclouder that he's trying to avoid making Z2 'another bizarro metal record.' Which brings up the real question: what exactly is Z2 going to sound like? He's dropped some keywords like 'sci-fi', 'grandiose', 'epic', etc, and talked about using an orchestra/choir again, but musically I'm not sure how it's going to compare to the rest of his discography. For some reason I keep imaging it as a double album, too, and I'm not really sure why...

Anyways, the combination of him wanting to make this bigger than anything he's done before, and taking longer to write it/record it than most everything else he's done, really has me more excited than usual. The whole 'rock-opera' aspect of it keeps making me think of Joe's Garage, and if this wound up being anything like that, stylistically... then we could really have a career-defining work on our hands.
#310784 by Tang
Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:13 pm
Octillus wrote:The answer is always Shitstorm.

Correct answer.
#310785 by NamasteLikeBender
Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:48 pm
Tang wrote:
Octillus wrote:The answer is always Shitstorm.

Correct answer.

That.

Also, I just want to hear this thing already. :P
#310786 by Ultimetalhead
Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:11 pm
I'm thinking it'll be closest to Deconstruction in its sound. Seems like a logical comparison since Epicloud had Addicted, and Casualties will presumably be the spiritual successor to Ki.
#310810 by elvendio
Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:12 am
C'mon it's Aftermath! Then "You Suck" then OMFG followed by Far Beyond Metal. Heaviest Dev Vocals are when he says " Fuck you you fucking fuck" in you suck. Ah he says it with such feeling.
#310823 by pandemic
Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:59 am
shitstorm. sorry but if you think otherwise your wrong. we're talking about what song sounds the heaviest right?
#310825 by Bookwyrm83
Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:41 pm
Actually, heaviest Devy song, is Feather.
You cannot argue with that.
#310938 by ShortSonata
Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:28 pm
Quantumleaper wrote:Wait wait, how do you know that this song Dev mentioned is for Z2?

Somehow I doubt it is for Casualties, although I suppose Obviouser comes to mind. But Z2 appears to be the focus of his writing at the moment.