#311628 by Meh
Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:17 am
Interesting point above. Never thought of it like that and it may explain the lack of Ghost, Ki and Accelerated Evolution music from Saturday night. I think more generally I like the mix of humour and seriousness in his work. Unfortunately I can see Devin doing a Ritchie Blackmore 5-20 years from now regarding his relationship with heavy music.
#311631 by mikejs
Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:29 am
Meh wrote:Still can't believe Ki was ignored and surprised nothing from Ghost was played. ...

I'd guess to try to limit overlap with By a Thread. All the pre-epicloud DTP material had been played in London, and released on DVD, less than a year before. That's probably also why Hyperdrive was very different to the BaT version, even though Anneke was there and they could easily have done a BaT-style performance of it.

That said, there was a fair amount of Addicted and Decon material that I'd gladly have traded for some Terria, or Ocean Machine. But still, it flowed pretty well as a set, and if I try to imagine where Earth Day or Funeral or Bastard would have fit into that set, I'm not sure where they could have gone.
#311634 by mikejs
Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:41 am
Back on the SYL question...

Dev's talked a lot about how early SYL (HAARHT, City) is an accurate reflection of early-20s Dev, and he's moved on since then. Which is entirely understandable, but if that's why he no longer wants to play or write music in that mindset, what about Ocean Machine, or Infinity, or Terria which are of similar vintage, and so presumably similarly reflective of Dev in his 20s. The fact that he still plays some OM material, and has dug up quite a lot of Infinity-era material for DTP live shows implies he still has some connection to it.

Not really sure where I'm going with that, just wondering if that might be another reason why he didn't pull one of the big OM tracks out of the bag at RC.
#311636 by TerminX
Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:50 am
I can totally understand him not playing SYL anymore, and in fact I'm pretty shocked he did it at TRC. It was necessary for the "retrospective", but it was something I still thought he'd glaze over (after, you know, writing a whole quadrilogy of albums relating to his difficulties with it)

For those that haven't, definitely go read his descriptions for the albums on the "discography" section of the site, especially the SYL stuff. What he writes about the last three albums gives some really interesting insight into them.
#311645 by azure
Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:49 am
Ryan's work has been amazing to see progress. First he had learn Ziltoid stuff, then he had to learn the stuff he didn't play on Decon, and then add Gene's work to that set. I've been really impressed by Dave's work, too, as he seamlessly backs Dev and plays a lot of the more complicated bits. They're an amazing crew and I imagine a huge help to Devin to pull all this stuff off. I really admire them.

I've mixed feelings about the show but can see its roots from Devin's imagination and experiences. Seeing Color Your World and Greys was fun again as seeing it live a few years ago was one of the best concert experiences I ever had. Hope the sketchiness in the vocals was mostly due to mix issues and turn out better on the remaster.

I'll still dream about seeing Almost Again or Skeksis live...
#311648 by LicoriceLain
Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:28 am
azure wrote:Ryan's work has been amazing to see progress.

My brother was disappointed to hear the triggers during "Planet of the Apes". I defended RVP by saying he is more a groove drummer than a double bass aficiando, but still. It would be nice to hear him not use them.

I read through the the discography notes and seeing his thoughts on Infinity, Terria, OM, Alien, Accelerated Evolution do sober reality for me. The fact that he has a lot of negative emotions tied to the recording of those does sour the vibe of them a little. I will still love them every bit as much as I do now, but I am disillusioned as it were.

Honestly, I don't really care if never plays SYl material again if they are tied to that many personal dramas and such. There are thousands of videos on youtube that display a lot of good performances and such so nothing is really lost. I am just curious what he will play on tour with Gojira, because Gojira fans WILL be expecting to hear extreme metal so a lot of Devy's music may not get the best audience reaction (ie, people standing around going "who the fuck is this nob?"
#311655 by Edkaye
Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:51 am
I was pretty impressed with the stream. The sound was pretty crappy at first, but they listened to feedback and adjusted the mix a bit so we could actually here the guitar and not just bass and drums.

The stream dropped out a couple of times, but it was no biggie.

The concert itself was amazing. Nice and cheesy in places, but in a fun way. Jed coming on made my year. I was not expecting that at all!

For those wondering about more SYL, RVP said on FB that Dev told him they would never play those songs again.Make of that what you will.
#311665 by kim77
Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:03 pm
BrunoN wrote:
EDIT: I forgot to quote the gem from the chat: during "The greys" and aliens walking on stage - "Better alien story than Prometheus"

well thanks for quoting me :) TRC was a hell of a show and the chat going on was actually great fun!
#311698 by LicoriceLain
Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:01 am
Lolliklauer wrote:
RustyKettle wrote:Was the accordion player during 'wild colonial boy' actually doing anything or was he just for show?

Just for show.

That is what they want you to think.
#311717 by Lettuce
Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:02 am
I'm not actually sure Grey can play the accordion...he was probably the best performer there though :P Fucking love that guy, he's awesome.