The time has come to forget all the bullshit and ROCK!
#311881 by Bookwyrm83
Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:08 am
ppinkham wrote:Morning rain? In the evening? But that means it is evening rain. Oh, Dev. You big silly.

Unless he refers to that time of year when the far north is evening 24/7.
#311894 by swervedriver
Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:42 am
I hear "sweet morning rain" or "sweet motoring". The first nicely contrasts with "in the evening" and the latter fits with "on the freeway". I dunno, given my poor experience of understanding lyrics it's probably something entirely different anyway.
#311896 by Faffy
Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:11 am
Bookwyrm83 wrote:
ppinkham wrote:Morning rain? In the evening? But that means it is evening rain. Oh, Dev. You big silly.

Unless he refers to that time of year when the far north is evening 24/7.

...but then surely it wouldn't be raining, but snowing..? :P
swervedriver wrote:I hear "sweet morning rain" or "sweet motoring". The first nicely contrasts with "in the evening" and the latter fits with "on the freeway". I dunno, given my poor experience of understanding lyrics it's probably something entirely different anyway.
I don't exactly have the best reputation in lyrics decoding either. Whenever I listen to Happy Birthday I hear "IIII love you loooong time".
#311904 by Leechmaster
Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:22 am
When he first says it I always think it sounds like mornin' as well.. but the when he repeats it next line it sounds like fallin' or pourin' or maybe I should just fuck off...
#311912 by LeperMessiah1170
Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:05 am
I swear I hear an '-ornin' sound in there. Like, I get the mental image of driving on the freeway in the evening with the road still soaking wet from rain earlier that day, steam rising from the road and the setting sun reflecting off of it.
#311919 by Octillus
Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:34 am
LeperMessiah1170 wrote:I swear I hear an '-ornin' sound in there. Like, I get the mental image of driving on the freeway in the evening with the road still soaking wet from rain earlier that day, steam rising from the road and the setting sun reflecting off of it.

You're on crack.
#311962 by Wander
Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:21 pm
Octillus wrote:
LeperMessiah1170 wrote:I swear I hear an '-ornin' sound in there. Like, I get the mental image of driving on the freeway in the evening with the road still soaking wet from rain earlier that day, steam rising from the road and the setting sun reflecting off of it.

You're on crack.

I cracked up.

I also think it's hilarious that there is serious debate going on about the chorus of that song, which was supposed to be the easiest part to understand and nobody's commenting on my hasty intrerpretations of the verses!
#311970 by LeperMessiah1170
Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:03 pm
Octillus wrote:

You're on crack.

May be.

Wander wrote:I also think it's hilarious that there is serious debate going on about the chorus of that song, which was supposed to be the easiest part to understand and nobody's commenting on my hasty intrerpretations of the verses!

And yes, you came up with a good interpretation, indeed.

Now, if somebody could figure out Socialization...

Wander wrote:
Well sun goes down, won't fall on me, time keeps rolling on

And, I also believe that this line is, Well, so the stars won't fall...
#312200 by Meh
Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:13 am
It was me who initially said 'pouring rain'. I know it sounds a lot more like 'morning' but it doesn't make sense unless Devin was being more poetic than usual. My theory is that given the vocal power of the chorus the 'p' of pouring would be very sharp and pop the mic and I think Dev put on a filter to smoothen it - the downside being the diction suffered. He mentions similar battles with sibilance on production commentaries.

Although if it is 'morning rain' he could be referring to it's cooler temperature that is making it sweet on a hotter evening. But then that may imply he's cycling on the freeway to feel it - haha!
#312349 by Meh
Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:20 am
I know what it means and it's actually far simpler than people (myself included) made out - apologies. He's driving all day - in the morning it was raining - the road was wet from the morning rain in the evening.

'Sweet morning rain,
On the freeway in the evening'.
#312379 by Wander
Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:07 pm
Morning rain usually dries out by the evening.
#312592 by Virtua Afro DJ
Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:00 pm
Hey guys. badum badoo

I'll ask Devin what the lyrics are the next time I see him. Can y'all wait three months?
#312635 by LeperMessiah1170
Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:48 pm
Virtua Afro DJ wrote:Hey guys. badum badoo

I'll ask Devin what the lyrics are the next time I see him. Can y'all wait three months?

Neh, I'd rather debate until then.