Follow the way Follow the way Holding mother
#300195 by Eyesore
Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:23 am
Eyesore wrote:
organic spiral wrote:Completely sad that this song is so underrated. I was just listening to it and decided it to be a good idea to start a thread. To me this is one of Dev's best epics. The feeling this song has especially towards the end is almost teary. I love the part where he goes "I'm Sorry" Over and over in a big climatic way. It's just really powerful and moving

Anyone else feel this way about this song?

HA! I've been saying it for years, "Planet Rain" is the best fucking song on this CD!! When I first heard the song and the chorus kicked in I thought I was about to get struck by lightning because the hair on my head stood up and I got goosebumps!! When Devin screams "Cuz it's the end of the world!" HOLY FUCK!!! To this day, I get goosebumps!! It's simply amazing!!! For me, this is Devin's best epic tune. It's fucking brilliant! Plain and simple!!

Look at my atrocious abuse of punctuation. Haha.
#301876 by Bookwyrm83
Sat May 19, 2012 8:16 pm
I'm just going to join in and say Planet Rain one of Dev's most epic beauties.

Someone mentioned before that is was like a precursor to Terria, and I'd agree with that sentiment.
#314866 by LicoriceLain
Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:42 pm
I read Sputnik review that called this track aimless. I can see what they mean, but then again it is purposefully shapeless.
#314874 by Eyesore
Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:28 pm
LicoriceLain wrote:I read Sputnik review that called this track aimless. I can see what they mean, but then again it is purposefully shapeless.

I can sort of understand that comment. The song is too long. The first five minutes are gold, but around the 5:30 mark it begins to meander on down the road, you know, where Devin's screaming begins to sound strained. Around the 7:00 mark, his voice sounds really REALLY strained. The last 4 minutes are pretty much unnecessary.
#314878 by Bookwyrm83
Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:47 am
I don't mind the fact it tapers off into quiet. After such an emotional ride, it calms down and lets you unwind.
#317666 by ferocitas
Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:02 pm
Eyesore wrote:
LicoriceLain wrote:I read Sputnik review that called this track aimless. I can see what they mean, but then again it is purposefully shapeless.

I can sort of understand that comment. The song is too long. The first five minutes are gold, but around the 5:30 mark it begins to meander on down the road, you know, where Devin's screaming begins to sound strained. Around the 7:00 mark, his voice sounds really REALLY strained. The last 4 minutes are pretty much unnecessary.

Whatever happened to this?:

"HA! I've been saying it for years, "Planet Rain" is the best fucking song on this CD!! When I first heard the song and the chorus kicked in I thought I was about to get struck by lightning because the hair on my head stood up and I got goosebumps!! When Devin screams "Cuz it's the end of the world!" HOLY FUCK!!! To this day, I get goosebumps!! It's simply amazing!!! For me, this is Devin's best epic tune. It's fucking brilliant! Plain and simple!!"

Funny. Anyway a perfect example how to build, aim, and home in on the goal with a song of eleven minutes is "Planet Rain". For everyone, try listening to it with speakers right between your ears after you know the lyrics. I find zero seconds of unimportance at the year of 2013 when the first listen was 1998. When is song timeless compared to the universe? Dunno, but the cheesiness of my pondering gives me chills.
#317669 by Eyesore
Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:11 pm
ferocitas wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

"HA! I've been saying it for years, "Planet Rain" is the best fucking song on this CD!! When I first heard the song and the chorus kicked in I thought I was about to get struck by lightning because the hair on my head stood up and I got goosebumps!! When Devin screams "Cuz it's the end of the world!" HOLY FUCK!!! To this day, I get goosebumps!! It's simply amazing!!! For me, this is Devin's best epic tune. It's fucking brilliant! Plain and simple!!"

Funny. Anyway a perfect example how to build, aim, and home in on the goal with a song of eleven minutes is "Planet Rain". For everyone, try listening to it with speakers right between your ears after you know the lyrics. I find zero seconds of unimportance at the year of 2013 when the first listen was 1998. When is song timeless compared to the universe? Dunno, but the cheesiness of my pondering gives me chills.

Well, first, that quote is eight years old and I clearly did not concern myself with overusing exclamation points. Holy crap! Secondly, my opinion hasn't changed. The song is brilliant. My more recent statement was simply about understanding
#317726 by ferocitas
Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:39 pm
Eyesore wrote:
ferocitas wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Well, first, that quote is eight years old and I clearly did not concern myself with overusing exclamation points. Holy crap! Secondly, my opinion hasn't changed. The song is brilliant. My more recent statement was simply about understanding
#317729 by Eyesore
Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:59 pm
Nothing wrong with my signature. If it doesn't interest you it takes a half a second to move on beyond it. Not even worth complaining about.

And in case it isn't clear to you, because you seem to be attributing things to me that I didn't say and also putting words in my mouth, I never said the song was aimless. Someone else said that. I simply pointed out that I can understand why someone might think that. Despite it's length, the core of the song is the first half, or a little more than that. So yes, while I don't think the rest is horrible by any means, I don't find it to be necessary. It's noise, it's atmosphere, but it's not the core of the song. The first six or seven minutes are brilliant, while the rest does nothing, in my opinion, to enhance that. But it also doesn't ruin the song by any means.

I also never said the song is strained. I said Devin's voice becomes very strained. Big difference.