Talk about other artists here (even though they all rip off Meshuggah)
#317730 by Eyesore
Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:07 pm
I heartily back the Leprous recommendation.

Any Jon Oliva fans here? He just released his first solo album, and while it's drenched 70s progressive rock, I found a number of songs to be very reminiscent of Devin's work.

These two in particular:

[youtube]NVd-BzY5xQg[/youtube]

[youtube]PGZgx7fTKNQ[/youtube]

:string:
#317732 by izumix
Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:00 am
Eyesore wrote:
Any Jon Oliva fans here? He just released his first solo album, and while it's drenched 70s progressive rock, I found a number of songs to be very reminiscent of Devin's work.

:string:

I'm still waiting for SAVATAGE...
Jon Oliva is one of the greatest musical master though, I think...
#317757 by MikzorTheFirst
Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:09 pm
People, keep this thread going! I don't think I've ever found as much new music that immediately caught my attention as I have going through this topic! The shared appreciation for Devin's work obviously goes a long way.

If you're feeling mellow and don't know what to listen to after Ghost, try Emancipator. Some truly pretty chillout-music. Very organic sound, "breath-y" ambiance and beautiful melodies. Got hooked on the atmosphere of the album "Safe In The Steep Cliffs", which I personally recommend starting with.

[youtube]WT16DTEAuMM[/youtube]
#318648 by Faffy
Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:34 pm
Recently I've been really into the music of a friend of a good friend of mine. It's just really nice, folk-y, melancholic and down-to-earth.
[youtube]lX5FpPP4TSA[/youtube]
He's got pretty much his entire catalogue on YouTube, but here are some of my favourites:
- Rubbles
- A Sense of Grey
- Magpie Eggs
- Smoke

And, aleksi: It's strange... I feel like I've got a bunch of music like that in my library, but I can't think of anything right now. :? I do have many film scores with parts similar to that, but no single albums or artists that comes to mind.
#318650 by aleksi
Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:50 pm
Faffy wrote:And, aleksi: It's strange... I feel like I've got a bunch of music like that in my library, but I can't think of anything right now. :? I do have many film scores with parts similar to that, but no single albums or artists that comes to mind.

Those are exactly what I'm looking for. Shoot away faffy. It doesn't matter whether it's a part of a song or a full album anything you can think of would be nice.
#318659 by JuZ
Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:46 pm
Not sure if this helps, but here are some Australian musicians that work along the same lines (acoustic, introspective):

Xavier Rudd:
[youtube]0E1bNmyPWww[/youtube]

Matt Walters (lovely voice, this kid):
[youtube]E6cTLc0rB4w[/youtube]

Lior:
[youtube]mVlRc7TnJQg[/youtube]

Mat McHugh:
[youtube]R62EVpCjEcg[/youtube]

Josh Pyke (As gifted as Gotye, in my opinion):
[youtube]GquroFVb_48[/youtube]
#318663 by Faffy
Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:14 am
aleksi wrote:
Faffy wrote:And, aleksi: It's strange... I feel like I've got a bunch of music like that in my library, but I can't think of anything right now. :? I do have many film scores with parts similar to that, but no single albums or artists that comes to mind.

Those are exactly what I'm looking for. Shoot away faffy. It doesn't matter whether it's a part of a song or a full album anything you can think of would be nice.

stubear280 wrote:Olafur Arnalds is similar. Clint Mansell has similar stuff too. That's all I can think of right now even though I know there's loads more.

Ah, yes,
#320902 by KeasbyNights
Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:22 am
stubear280 wrote:Olafur Arnalds is similar. Clint Mansell has similar stuff too. That's all I can think of right now even though I know there's loads more.

Clint Mansell. Yes. Score composer for my favorite movie, The Fountain. He also did Requiem for a Dream. Both so fantastic I can't hardly speak. Mogwai helped on parts on The Fountain as well.

[youtube]vr0NBPRMe2E[/youtube]

Also, two groups that really calm me down in times of stress.

July Skies: really simple guitar playing, with effects, and at times, minimal singing. No drums, ever. To me it sounds like some normal guy, without an extraordinary voice, just singing in the front room about his memories. I can't recommend this group enough. This song in particular. It just oozes peace in a way that touches me every time.

[youtube]LsbmdoSmrAc[/youtube]

And lastly, Windy & Carl. This is not for everybody. Some of their music moves even slower than Music for Airports by Eno. But this song and album in particular have gotten me through a lot of hard times. Again, just guitar playing, some effects, layering, and a shit-ton of E-Bow. And on few tracks Windy sings mostly incomprehensible lyrics. Can't really do much justice explaining it past this. If anybody likes any of this I'd be happy to recommend more from them.

[youtube]hIFlRZepGFE[/youtube]