Whoa, this is so heavy! And unbelievably cheesy!

What is your favourite song on Sky Blue?

2%
2%
8%
8%
5%
5%
6%
6%
6%
6%
2%
2%
6%
6%
4%
4%
5%
5%
2%
2%
3%
3%
N/A
N/A
#323118 by Chris87
Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:41 am
Bookwyrm83 wrote:Chose Midnight Sun, Warrior and Before We Die for instant connection and resonance. Still, I also really loved A New Reign, Forever and Rain City. Fantastic tracks all.

Woohoo, exactly my tracks :D. I'm not alone anymore.
#323135 by Tyroshai
Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:09 am
I absolutely adore A New Reign. Definitely one of the best tracks DTP have recorded.

Fallout, Midnight Sun, Sky Blue and Rain City all stand out for me. Even Universal Flame (which in context of the full album works better than it came across in the lyric video) is growing on me, especially the BIG mid-section. It's crushing, but not in the usual sense of the word we're used to when referring to Dev's work. :)
#323140 by NamasteLikeBender
Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:36 am
ppinkham wrote:Silent Militia is just a cool jam. Funny that I like it, because I don't like the inspiration

That monstrosity doesn't really sound like Silent Militia at all. I guess it might have some similarities in the structure, but it's a shame that these two idiots get so much popular acclaim.
#323141 by swervedriver
Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:48 am
Sky Blue is growing on me. It's not going to be my favorite Dev album, but that's a tough spot to take anyway. I called it inoffensive in the First Impressions thread, and that opinion still stands for the most part (especially for the first half of the album). Although, I find myself disliking Universal Flame more and more while it gets more and more stuck in my head. Does that make sense? I'm not sure it does. Anyway, I came here to say I've warmed up to this album a bit more though. A New Reign feels like a revisited Seventh Wave. The title track is among the better, Anneke's parts on it are wonderful. Rejoice grooves well, albeit slightly bland sometimes; its middle section shines though. However, Silent Militia I find terrible on its own (I have no idea what that track is supposed to be), but it's even more contrasting when wedged between (my) highlights of the album, Sky Blue and Rain City. Forever is absolutely captivating, even might have been a more fitting closing track.

Dark Matters is a different story, probably requiring more listens/time before I can say something constructive about it.
#323144 by KeasbyNights
Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:27 am
^I understand your sentiment concerning Universal Flame. I have found personally, if a song gets stuck in my head and won't leave, it's because I don't like it. Case in point: when Avril Lavigne first put out 'Sk8ter Boi', I heard it and I could not get it out of my head for weeks. I damn near went mad because my mind would replay it over and over but I didn't want to hear it, and somehow couldn't stop it from playing. Maybe you feel similarly?
#323146 by Chris87
Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:08 pm
Haha, I hear you swervedriver, "stuck in my head" is not always a good thing. Universal Flame has turned into a track I'm actually skipping. It just sounds like Devin made this track during the "Here's your Epicloud 2.0 garbage, now let's go to Ziltoid" time compared to the others.

Silent Militia also doesn't grow on me. EVERYONE seems to love this track and I simply cannot understand what makes it so special. And you're right, it really seems a bit out of context compared to the rest around it.
#323147 by swervedriver
Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:22 pm
^^ Well, Avril Lavigne is a bit of a guilty pleasure so maybe that's not the best example. ;)

But the idea is similar I suppose. It's not the worst song or anything, but I'm fine hearing it just once or twice. However, its earworm qualities sort of get in the way of that. Stupid brain of mine.
#323149 by Bookwyrm83
Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:33 pm
Once I get past the auto tuned vocals in the intro I don't mind Universal Flame. The only track I'm not really fond of is Silent Militia. I know it's pretty much a transformed pop song (kinda like Save Our Now) but it takes me out of the moment. It's not completely terrible but it is my least favorite offering from Z2 overall. May even be my least favorite track by Devin, period.
#323151 by swervedriver
Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:40 pm
KeasbyNights wrote:Ah, well whatever song that causes you discomfort in her place then. ;)

Like this: (Compliments of Violet)
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=54 ... 20&fref=nf

Yes, this is very uncomfortable for my split sides. :lol:
#323153 by KeasbyNights
Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:55 pm
It really is awful on all accounts. :lol: I've watched it too many times to admit
#323232 by St_Clean
Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:09 pm
ppinkham wrote:Silent Militia is just a cool jam. Funny that I like it, because I don't like the inspiration:

[youtube]kYtGl1dX5qI[/youtube]

Though I do wish Dev had used "Britney, bitch!" somewhere in the song.

I also like Fallout and Warrior quite a bit.

I believe you are a bit confused... here, this will help you...

[youtube]PGNiXGX2nLU[/youtube]