Talk about other artists here (even though they all rip off Meshuggah)
#323101 by fragility
Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:41 am
I always find that as I get older/have heard more music, the times when I hear a new band and the blow me away become fewer and further between, which is a shame because it's such a great feeling.

What was the last band that did it for you?
#323102 by Chris87
Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:44 am
I hear you. That's the curse of getting older I guess - So many years to listen to music, and only 12 half-tones to do something with it...

The last time was for me when I discovered "Shoegaze" music. There is one specific song that absolutely blew me away, which is "Seisou" by Monocism.

It can be heard in this album at 15:46 :
[youtube]u097yGEvrUQ[/youtube]

Unfortunately, the same was not the case with their other songs. I'm currently looking to find some more songs in that style though.

If I have to tell one specific band, it's actually Devin for me. I only discovered him a few months ago and am rarely listening to other bands since then. Still, it's not comparable to the emotions I had back then when I discovered bands in my teenager years. I kinda wish I would be that moved by music again - but then again I was a mess personally, so if that's connected it is probably better this way ;).
Last edited by Chris87 on Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
#323103 by fragility
Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:46 am
I do think there's something about those teenage years that you can never recapture - the music I fell in love with then has a special kind of connection that I don't think I've really felt since
#323111 by Faffy
Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:25 am
Yeah, there's been a while since I came across a new band that blew me away.
Djerv, Kvelertak and Glittertind finally clicked with me, but that was after some time of persuasion. I think the last bands I came across that ate my soul instantly were Árstíðir and Agent Fresco last year.

[youtube]pItNhqWj6Tc[/youtube]
[youtube]aRigSIntPMU[/youtube]

So yes, I get that too. I remember when I was 14-16, and I would come across great bands at least once every month, and now I'm lucky if it happens every other year.
Good thing I hardly ever stop listening to bands, but rather add to the pile whenever I discover new ones.
#323994 by EphelDuath666
Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:40 pm
you know, I was just asking myself the same question over the past few years. And I honestly don't know when I discovered a band that completely blew me away the last time. Maybe Elbow several years ago. Actually I guess I discovered some electronic music for myself not long ago that I really, really love...Squarepusher and Venetian Snares. But yeah, seems like I get that feeling less and less often. Or, like you said, I'm just getting old.
#323996 by Faffy
Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:03 am
In the few instances that a band has blown me away lately, it has been a slow process. Typically, I would have listened to their music (or at least tried to get in to them) for years... and then suddenly I have an "Wow, they are awesome!"-moment. It's as if I have to bond with their music first. :P

So yeah... while it's different quantitatively (i.e., less frequent) it's also different qualitatively. I get into music in a different way than I used to. Perhaps it's not so much as about being older, but about having new music compete with the enormous body of music you are already into.
#323999 by Wander
Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:42 pm
Generally the thing is that once you've gained a lot of experience in different types of music, you know too much to be "wowed" by new artists. Generally you can hear the reference points to other stuff so if they are doing something you've already heard being done, they have to do it pretty much better than anyone to wow you.

I was wowed by Pita - 3 because it was different from anything I had heard before. And I think it's actually also quite unique even in the scope of noise music (now that I know a little about the scene). It's just a really cool track. Textures and stuff.
#324011 by Victimlas
Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:34 pm
OK I have one recently... BTBAM. Had never heard any of their stuff and just started listening to them. First time in a while where I am wondering how I had never heard them before. I know not everyone's cup of tea but for me they mix a lot of styles I enjoy.
#324092 by KeasbyNights
Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:39 pm
I'd say the last group that really caught my attention was Monuments. When they came to Mesa with Animals as Leaders and DTP, they fuckin rocked. I don't know if they were putting out 120% or just their usual 100%, but they brought down the house. They engaged the crowd, the singer was a lot of fun to watch, and the whole band put everything they had into every note. To be honest, I think I enjoyed their performance more than DTP, and I didn't even know a single word to their songs. I'd never seen them before, I'd only seen their album art for the newest CD before. I was really impressed with their performance, and the music was great too. Few and far between are the bands that sound better, or even come to par, with their in-studio recordings. Those guys kicked ass and I went home and bought all their music because of it. That's what a show should look/feel like, in my opinion.
#324095 by Bookwyrm83
Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:08 am
In the past few years or so, many bands have impressed me and much of those have made me wonder how I'd never known them before. But it's truly been awhile since the WOW factor has hit me hard (translated as, I've heard a band and scrambled to get their entire catalogue inside my brain as quick as possible).
I suppose Swans would be the closest. Having first listened to them last year, they're a band I wish I had known of much earlier. That said, I haven't been that obsessed with them. That kind of obsession reached it's peak about 8 years ago for me I believe. Nowadays it's mostly loyalty to bands I know, their side projects (if any) or associated acts. Still, I'm open to be blown away by something new.
#324096 by fragility
Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:22 am
My first one for a loooong time was 22, which was about 5 years ago. It is an unhealthy obsession.

When I finally saw them live, arcane roots were sharing the stage, and they quickly joined in them within about 30 seconds of getting on stage.

There's not been a band since, but those 2 more than make up for it :)
#324212 by Octillus
Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:52 pm
Any chance I get to watch my close friend Jon play drums. He does so with such love, joy, and precision. It really makes the band.
[youtube]xCcOqJ9pZ8Q[/youtube]