Talk about other artists here (even though they all rip off Meshuggah)
#323422 by Kleo
Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:59 am
The local Metal bands do this multi-night cover band thing. Last couple of years, they've followed this up a few nights later by getting whatever four aren't opposed to the financial ruin back together. The Cathedral set was aces. Megadeth was depressing because I realized that the current legit incarnation is a cover band too, and a much crappier one. Napalm death set was . . . . Musically proficient? I mean people seemed to like it but dudes bored me and I left.
#323510 by KeasbyNights
Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:08 pm
Went to an EDM show with a friend this past week, Tuesday I think. Saw Candyland and Breathe Carolina. The show was fucking amazing. I was jumping right along the whole time. My calves are still burning every time I walk anywhere though, haha. Unexpected pain but well worth it. Breathe Carolina was really interesting: they were blending metal, screamo, dubstep, dance in really interesting ways. New fan, and their live show was much better than their studio albums are.
#324016 by swervedriver
Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:03 am
Saw Karnivool and Monuments yesterday. Monuments aren't really my thing, but their show was full of energy and plenty of heavy music to be enjoyed, so as opening acts go they did well.

Karnivool were stellar. They played a few songs of each album (they even opened with something from an early EP) in chronological order, so that was pretty cool too. Amazing band.
#324019 by Bookwyrm83
Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:33 pm
Goatwhore with Psycroptic and supports. This was also an all ages gig so my teenage sister could see them with me (the only downside being the sets are shorter than the average 18+ gig).

The supporting bands were great; Whoretopsy and Disentomb, each brought plenty of energy and power to get the crowd going (with Disentomb's vocalist slamming into the crowd at times to get a pit started).

Psycroptic were fantastic as always, and their vocalist even got hit on by one of the lady audience members in between songs, which was funny. They just released a new album and played songs from it, which got everyone immediately hooked.

Goatwhore were amazing. Being a pretty small venue it was easy to get up close with the band (and get a few high fives), plus it was a full house so everybody was all the more amped up. Besides putting on a great performance they also interacted with crowd and kept everyone entertained (I even made their vocalist laugh by shouting "Play the same song!").

Overall a great gig, just wish it went for a little longer.
#324056 by vt1100
Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:04 am
Evergrey yesterday. Although sunday is a horrible gig day, and this being third (and final) show here in Finland and thus Englund's voice wasn't at it's peak it was still a great show. Surprisingly material was spread through discography and not just songs from latest album, I would say that set was excellent.
#324058 by Faffy
Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:00 am
Shining! In London on Saturday. (with a hint of DTP at the lights and sound table) Excellent as always.
It's really good to see them headlining their own show in London.
#324062 by fragility
Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:28 am
Does Baby Rhyme Time at the local library count? Life's not really changed that much, the lady comes along and performs a short set of classic numbers, then we'll get a "this is going to be our last song for today" and then a "thank you all, you've been great"..the songs are just slightly less rocking and I get home at a more sensible hour...like 3:30pm ;)
#324063 by Keeker
Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:42 am
fragility wrote:Does Baby Rhyme Time at the local library count? Life's not really changed that much, the lady comes along and performs a short set of classic numbers, then we'll get a "this is going to be our last song for today" and then a "thank you all, you've been great"..the songs are just slightly less rocking and I get home at a more sensible hour...like 3:30pm ;)

Reminds me of The Singing Kettle concerts. Ahhh, those were the easy days! I miss my babies!
#324215 by Bookwyrm83
Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:46 pm
Napalm Death and Carcass.
They were co-headlining and played for over an hour each, with Extortion (a local crossover band) supporting them.
Extortion were pretty good and primed the crowd up for the main acts, though my highlight from their set was when Barney took to the stage for guest vocals.

Carcass were amazing, playing a highly energized set to perfection, even with guitar difficulties early on and rowdy crowds (at one point Jeff had to instruct the more over-enthusiastic moshers the ethics of stage diving, which was amusing). Audience interaction in between tracks was also fun, with them noting they don't rant as much as Napalm (tis true).

Napalm Death were equally as impressive and brutal, though no surprise they had more crowd control duties, particularly when someone knocked over their guitarist and pulled his lead (always seems to happen at their gigs). Sad to see Mitch Harris couldn't make it down, but they brought John Cooke back as his replacement and he did the band proud. Great to see You Suffer performed to appease some of the shouting drunks.

An impressive gig as a whole, every band made sure everyone got their money's worth and both headliners played a great mix of old and new tracks. Quite possibly my gig of the year.
#324697 by Bookwyrm83
Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:01 pm
Last Sunday, saw Behemoth and Watain with Bölzer.
Bölzer started and were pretty good, considering they're a two-piece on guitar and drums, respectively. A group to keep an eye on.
Watain were excellent, performing with full intensity and gleefully playing up the theatrics: flames, blood and creative corpsepaint. Watching them I almost forgot there was another band on next.
Behemoth delivered an equally strong set with more flames and crowd interaction. Pleased to hear a diverse playlist, with a few tracks from The Satanist and plenty of older tunes as well. Cool to see them wearing the goat masks to close out the night.

Last Friday I also saw Kiss, with The Dead Daisies on support.
Didn't know much about the latter except they were a super-group of sorts but they put on a damn fine performance, playing bluesy old school metal/hard rock and with a volume that seemed louder than Kiss.
And as for the headliners themselves, delivered everything you'd expect. Paul Stanley having fun with (and flying over) the audience, Gene Simmons hoisted to the top of the stadium to perform God of Thunder, old hits and pyrotechnics galore. Having never seen them live before, glad I experienced it.
#324792 by swervedriver
Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:23 am
I saw Swervedriver last night. Fucking yes! :D
#324852 by Bookwyrm83
Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:36 am
AC/DC with The Hives in support.
Never been into The Hives but they put on a good show, and definitely a better supporting act than Wolfmother were (5 years ago). There was another local supporting opener but I didn't catch their set - I assume they were good.

AC/DC were fantastic and Angus Young is still a beast, playing literally all over the stage, on the platform in the crowd, even on top the set, all without missing a beat. Brian Johnson's live vocals did sound aged but he made up for it with enthusiasm. The rest of the band were just as strong and the set list was all killer.
Would have liked to see The Jack again but I was happy overall. Angus's 15+ minute guitar solo during Let There Be Rock was alone worth the price of admission.
#324864 by Keeker
Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:56 pm
I saw Def Leppard and Whitesnake, supported by Black Star Riders in the SSE Hydro, Glasgow last Thursday. Lovely stage shows but this being the second time in the Hydro, I think it's too huge to have the right atmosphere. Each of the bands commented more than once how enormous the place was and David Coverdale started reminiscing about the old Glasgow Apollo days so I couldn't help feeling that maybe the bands themselves felt like the place was lacking something.

My pal and I found the sound .. odd. It reverberates a bit too much in that place and nothing sounds terribly sharp. However, whines over, I still enjoyed the show and sang along to all my favourite old tunes. :)
#325019 by Bookwyrm83
Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:18 am
Sunn O))).
Holy freaking shit, I now know what a sonic shower feels like. They played for nearly two hours straight with virtually no breaks. The stage itself was thick with smoke throughout their set and they had no less than 30 amplifiers across the stage to really make an impression. You could barely see the band half the time as they were in robes and standing in the thickest part of the smoke, blending in with darkness of the amps.
The only breaks occurred when the guitars needed changing (once, and the keyboard guys kept things going while that happened) and Attila departing the stage to change costumes; to be more specific, his first return was just him wearing a mask that had been moulded for his face (and looked like an extension of his robe) but after his second exit he returned to the stage in a bizarre, spiky costume and mask (all reflective black) with violet lasers going out his fingers.
Since this was in a mid-sized basement venue, the noise carried a lot of weight and vibration. They were actually giving away earplugs at the bar (which I've never seen happen before) and its a good thing I grabbed a pair.
Both visually and sonically satisfying, this was a gig well worth attending.