Talk about other artists here (even though they all rip off Meshuggah)
#325350 by fragility
Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:49 am
So, I always much prefer male vocalists.

I've always thought that a lot of women tend to try and sound "perfect" and end up sounding the same. Where's men tend to let their own voice come through much more.

But then, I've always wondered if part of it is a straight female preferring the sound of men's voices thing.

I was going to do a poll, but then it felt weird asking "are you a gay female who prefers male vocals", so I'm just interested in people's thoughts
#325351 by Octillus
Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:54 am
I've always just preferred voices with personality - which is why early metal always appealed to me - Dio, Halford, Ozzy, Lemmy, Dickinson - these are all guys who have something very different about their voice - even if it's just Bruce's weird cadence and rasp. It's what brought me to Dev

Whether it's goth sounding ladies, Siouxsie, Anneke, Chelsea Wolfe, along with all of the classic Motown singers like Aretha and Diana Ross, and even pop stars like Cyndi Lauper (Time after Time is the fucking best, I will fight you.) I'm on board. Hell I'm even on board with Beyonce and Gaga even though I'm terribly not into their music, they have an interesting voice and that's what draws me in.

But if you sound generic, I can't stand it.
#325352 by Bookwyrm83
Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:25 am
^I wholeheartedly agree. Even worse if you sound generic and auto-tuned.

I suppose I find female vocals to be more soothing in general, whereas male vocals have more of a driving force. Keep in mind this does not apply to every song and musical style; it can be the exact opposite (see Casualties for evidence of both).
As long as it sounds good and suits the nature of the song, gender doesn't really matter to me. What matters is passion and personal appeal.
#325355 by FlackoWeasel
Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:58 pm
I love male voices much more because they just feel much powerful and awesome. Only truly fav female vocal is in War Princess where she sounds soo badass and brutal, i love it! I feel also badass, like viking lady, with guns haha.