Talk about whatever you want to here, but stay correct
#325711 by djskrimp
Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:56 am
So, to start, an album I absolutely hated initially but listened to again years later and loved was:
Voivod "Nothingface". The vocals sucked compared to the awesome power that prevailed in that day, (Sebastian Bach, Mike Patton, and Joey Belladonna were in constant rotation during that time), and the guitar work was just "off". A few years later, (this was after I'd discovered King's X and Devin Townsend), I gave Voivod another try...and loved the album. Whatever quirks were a problem before turned into the thing that made that album so good.

So, what album(s) were like this for you?
#325712 by Bookwyrm83
Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:39 pm
Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale

I was introduced to the band by Aspera Hiems Symfonia and loved that album to bits upon first listen. I found their previously released EPs and enjoyed those too.
Naturally when I saw La Masquerade I was interested but upon hearing the album, I was very disappointed. This wasn't the atmospheric black metal I associated with the band. Instead I heard a lot whiny opera vocals over admittedly decent music, however the music itself seemed pale to their previous works.

Keep in mind this was about 12 years ago. I wasn't as open to progressive music then as much as I am now. Upon revisiting the album several years later, I found that musically it had a lot more substance and layering than I first gave it credit for. The operatic vocals were better than I remembered (mind open this time, of course) and suited the themes and direction the band were taking.
I still do not care for the subsequent Arcturus releases, however. They sound too loopy and overblown for my tastes. But if other people are fans, that's fine with me.