Talk about other artists here (even though they all rip off Meshuggah)
#62823 by EphelDuath666
Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:07 pm
Well, since so many threads are killed, I thought I should create a new one where people can recommend some music and write some stuff about it so the rest here can imagine what the particular bands or musicians sound like. I´ll make the start....

The Amenta - Occasus
This is definitely the type of band that fans of Zyklon and Red Harvest could equally like. It´s dark, cold industrial Black/Death Metal with agressive vocals. The keyboard work on this record is very well done and adds a lot of its dark atmosphere to that Album. I prefer to call this music Cenobite Metal because those guys kinda look like that and it sure could have been the soundtrack for a Hellraiser movie. If you like Zyklon, Red Harvest or Myrkskog, check out The Amenta, you might love them like I do. Those guys are from Australia by the way and something tells me that they don´t really like the sunny weather there. (If someone has seen them live or knows more about them, I´d really like to know whether they have a drummer or use a drum computer)

Gordian Knot - Emergent
I´ve just recently (2 days ago) been introduced to this band by a friend. He told me to check them out so I downloaded this Album and WOW, I was pretty blown away. This is definitely music for people that love the experimental instrumental work especially on Porcupine Tree´s Signify. But also fans of Pink Floyd and King Crimson should love this Album. There are no vocals on this Album, only pure instrumental and experimental music from outa space.

Anorexia Nervosa - Redemption Process
This is definitely an Album for people that love Emperor. Those guys from France sure know how to play brilliant symphonic Black Metal without forgetting how to kick ass. Of course Emperor are/were a little different because of their partly very jazzy playing. Anorexia Nervosa are a little more straight forward and not as "confusing" as Emperor might seem to some people. The keyboard work is excellent and their singer screams his lungs out as if there was no tomorrow. People who love their Black Metal symphonic and very straight forward should really check out this Album. It´s worth it.

#62824 by ianlogan123
Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:14 pm
Fans of Bolthrower should check this out...

:shock:

#62828 by fragility
Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:47 pm
You should get the first Gordian Knot, IMO waay better (though emergent does kick ass)

#62829 by Eyesore
Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:56 pm
Yo, there's 2 CD review threads right below this one! Check them out to see what I recommend.

*mutters*

Damn...people starting new threads asking for crap already out there...I work hard on that shit and no one cares...sonsabitches...I oughtta...kill...that's what I oughtta do...ungrateful bastards...I'll show them...
#62830 by Torniojaws
Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:18 pm
EphelDuath666 wrote:(If someone has seen them live or knows more about them, I´d really like to know whether they have a drummer or use a drum computer)

Well, judging from the interviews and the official band pics, I would say they at least have a live drummer. Dunno if they used a machine on the album.

Here's an interview part from Metal Storm:

- Could you introduce the band please?

Chlordane: The Amenta is Chlordane – keys, samples and effects, Cesium 137 – vocals, Ethion – guitar, Endrin – bass and Diazinon – Drums. We formed in 2000 and released our debut MCD, entitled “Mictlan” in 2002. In 2003 we signed to Listenable Records who are releasing our first full length album, “Occasus”.

#62844 by Bloody_Rust
Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:15 pm
Dragonforce - Sonic Firestorm

Ok, Dragonforce are an "up and coming" English power metal band. I don't really know what I can say about them, apart from the fact that they're fantastic! They guitarists are super fast, their songs are catchy (even though the lyrics are cheesy as hell). Not sure who you could say they sound like, but you can hear a bit of Iron Maiden in there.

Anyway, make up your own mind!

http://www.dragonforce.com
Last edited by Bloody_Rust on Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
#62845 by EphelDuath666
Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:37 pm
Torniojaws wrote:
EphelDuath666 wrote:(If someone has seen them live or knows more about them, I´d really like to know whether they have a drummer or use a drum computer)

Well, judging from the interviews and the official band pics, I would say they at least have a live drummer. Dunno if they used a machine on the album.

Here's an interview part from Metal Storm:

- Could you introduce the band please?

Chlordane: The Amenta is Chlordane – keys, samples and effects, Cesium 137 – vocals, Ethion – guitar, Endrin – bass and Diazinon – Drums. We formed in 2000 and released our debut MCD, entitled “Mictlan” in 2002. In 2003 we signed to Listenable Records who are releasing our first full length album, “Occasus”.

hey dude, thanks a lot. There´s an interview on the CD too actually but in that interview the singer (I think) totally refuses to talk about the band. Anyways, thanks! He he...their names are hillarious! He refused to talk about their names in that interview too. Now I know why :lol: Still a damn good band though.

#62849 by mo
Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:35 pm
If anyone likes Iron Maiden and metal al a Testament/Sepultura/Metallica then you'll dig Dungeon.

Art of War is a damn good song, he does shit with vocals that I can honestly say I've never heard before. And as for vocals, he hits high notes like no other. Very under-rated stuff.

On top of that... the guy is seriously fucking good on guitar. STUPIDLY good! He uses insane muting techniques to get his sound... you just have to see it.

I implore you all, check this shit out.

http://www.dungeon.cd

#62855 by ForceFed
Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:03 pm
Akira Yamaoka

If any of you are fans of the Silent Hill games, then you'll probably already know who Akira is. For those who don't, he has composed the music for all 4 Silent Hill games. The music itself is very hard to explain. While playing the game it fits very well and is arguably the most important part of the overall experience apart from the visuals, but away from the games the music seems to take on new life. There is alot of depth to it, and substance, and alot of it works as ambience. If you're going to sample any of the four albums, I suggest the Silent Hill 2 or 3 OSTs. He's done some stuff for other games like Contra and DDR, but i've yet to hear anything besides the Silent Hill stuff.

Arockalypse And The Amazing Trans-Metropolitans

Rather obscure band from NYC. I've been listening to them ever since they sent me their debut cd (for free, I didn't even have to pay for S&H!) about a year ago. This was when they were just gathering a fanbase, and since they've become fairly popular in their area. I'd describe their sound as a mix of glam rock and industrial, very Bowie-ish in my opinion. You can download (or purchase, it's cheap and very worth it in my opinion) their debut album, The Ark, at their website - http://www.arockalypse.com

Dragonforce

I know they were mentioned once in this thread already, but I feel like they need to be mentioned again, if only to attract more attention. I don't really see much Maiden in them, either. Speed/Power Metal at it's finest, including much guitar wankery by Herman Li. It's borderline pretentious, but that's almost to be expected. The lyrics are cheesy, so don't expect much in that department unless you're a fan of cheese. Check out their debut album, Valley Of The Damned, before you go near Sonic Firestorm, the former is far more accessable.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor]/b]

Truly one of the most fascinating bands i've ever come across. At last count, 9 members (Three guitarists, two bassists, two percussionists, a cello player and a violin player). They introduced me to Post-Rock, a genre that by definition uses rock elements in non-rock structures or styles. It's a very eccentric genre not only by definition, but by the types of bands that make it up. GY!BE is probably the best example of this that you'll find, and each of their three LPs (f#a#oo, Yanquil UXO, and Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven), and their one EP (Slow Riot For New Zero Kanada) are each unique and inclusive works in their own right. Their songs are almost always suites which are composed of several "sub-songs", or parts I guess you'd call them. They vary in length anywhere from just under 11 minutes (Their shortest song) to just over 31 minutes (their longest). The depth of the music is such as that i'd be unable to really convey it using words, you'll definetly have to discover them for yourself. If you want a small sample of what they do, i'd seek out the "Slow Riot For New Zero Kanada" EP, it has two suites which clock in at about 29 minutes altogether. Included on that EP is the suite "Moya", which in my opinion is one of their best works. If you're going to get an LP, you can't go wrong with any of the 3 available, but i'd reccomend Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven.

[b]HORSE The Band

I have no idea how to describe this band's sound, but it's basically edgy punk/rock with 8-bit nintento sounds and some profoundly stupid lyrics. It's very catchy though, especially the keys, they give a great feel of nostalgia for me and make me wish I would have thought of something like adding nintendo sounds to music.

John 5

Marilyn Manson fans will no doubt know who he is. After leaving the band fairly recently, he released a solo album, "Vertigo". Alot of very catchy guitar work, and it's very surprising to see how talented he was, and it's hard to imagine why he'd waste that talent playing with a band like MM who are obviously not known for any kind of technical prowless. What I really like about this album is the mix of sound, from rock to metal to bluegrass to modern country, 5 shows that he's far more than "just another number". Don't let his stint in MM fool you, this guy is an excellent guitarist and this album has plenty to enjoy if you are a fan of guitar-based songs.

Perhaps more to come...

#62861 by mo
Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:57 pm
ForceFed wrote:Akira Yamaoka

If any of you are fans of the Silent Hill games, then you'll probably already know who Akira is. For those who don't, he has composed the music for all 4 Silent Hill games. The music itself is very hard to explain. While playing the game it fits very well and is arguably the most important part of the overall experience apart from the visuals, but away from the games the music seems to take on new life. There is alot of depth to it, and substance, and alot of it works as ambience. If you're going to sample any of the four albums, I suggest the Silent Hill 2 or 3 OSTs. He's done some stuff for other games like Contra and DDR, but i've yet to hear anything besides the Silent Hill stuff.

Arockalypse And The Amazing Trans-Metropolitans

Rather obscure band from NYC. I've been listening to them ever since they sent me their debut cd (for free, I didn't even have to pay for S&H!) about a year ago. This was when they were just gathering a fanbase, and since they've become fairly popular in their area. I'd describe their sound as a mix of glam rock and industrial, very Bowie-ish in my opinion. You can download (or purchase, it's cheap and very worth it in my opinion) their debut album, The Ark, at their website - http://www.arockalypse.com

Dragonforce

I know they were mentioned once in this thread already, but I feel like they need to be mentioned again, if only to attract more attention. I don't really see much Maiden in them, either. Speed/Power Metal at it's finest, including much guitar wankery by Herman Li. It's borderline pretentious, but that's almost to be expected. The lyrics are cheesy, so don't expect much in that department unless you're a fan of cheese. Check out their debut album, Valley Of The Damned, before you go near Sonic Firestorm, the former is far more accessable.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor]/b]

Truly one of the most fascinating bands i've ever come across. At last count, 9 members (Three guitarists, two bassists, two percussionists, a cello player and a violin player). They introduced me to Post-Rock, a genre that by definition uses rock elements in non-rock structures or styles. It's a very eccentric genre not only by definition, but by the types of bands that make it up. GY!BE is probably the best example of this that you'll find, and each of their three LPs (f#a#oo, Yanquil UXO, and Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven), and their one EP (Slow Riot For New Zero Kanada) are each unique and inclusive works in their own right. Their songs are almost always suites which are composed of several "sub-songs", or parts I guess you'd call them. They vary in length anywhere from just under 11 minutes (Their shortest song) to just over 31 minutes (their longest). The depth of the music is such as that i'd be unable to really convey it using words, you'll definetly have to discover them for yourself. If you want a small sample of what they do, i'd seek out the "Slow Riot For New Zero Kanada" EP, it has two suites which clock in at about 29 minutes altogether. Included on that EP is the suite "Moya", which in my opinion is one of their best works. If you're going to get an LP, you can't go wrong with any of the 3 available, but i'd reccomend Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven.

[b]HORSE The Band

I have no idea how to describe this band's sound, but it's basically edgy punk/rock with 8-bit nintento sounds and some profoundly stupid lyrics. It's very catchy though, especially the keys, they give a great feel of nostalgia for me and make me wish I would have thought of something like adding nintendo sounds to music.

John 5

Marilyn Manson fans will no doubt know who he is. After leaving the band fairly recently, he released a solo album, "Vertigo". Alot of very catchy guitar work, and it's very surprising to see how talented he was, and it's hard to imagine why he'd waste that talent playing with a band like MM who are obviously not known for any kind of technical prowless. What I really like about this album is the mix of sound, from rock to metal to bluegrass to modern country, 5 shows that he's far more than "just another number". Don't let his stint in MM fool you, this guy is an excellent guitarist and this album has plenty to enjoy if you are a fan of guitar-based songs.

Perhaps more to come...

8 bit nintendo sounds? SOLD!
Also, john 5 looks interesting.

#62872 by Coma Divine
Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:17 pm
Couldn't agree more ForceFed, I'm just getting in to GY!BE myself.

Explosions In The Sky

The Earth Is Not A Cold, Dead Place.
Just about my album of the year. Definitely along the "post-rock" lines; the latest from the unassuming Texans is lighter than anything GY!BE has to offer, but its beauty lies in its simplicity. "First Breath After Coma" :wink: opens with a radar unit chiming in silence as the remainder of the album comes to life, an aural call to arms that ends with an abrasive urgency. This is followed by the celebratory "The Only Moment We Were Alone", which is the closest the disc comes to spelling out its meditative undertones. "Six Days at the Bottom of the Ocean" hinges upon a reverberating lullaby of echoing keyboards and minstrel guitar, with an increasingly intense drone signaling the depths of the seabed coming into sight. As is customary, the proverbial wreck has scarcely settled into the sand before we're off on "Memorial", a somewhat bright period of mourning for our ego. It's all wrapped up by the most energetic track -- actually frantic by Explosions' moderate standards -- "Your Hand in Mine", a consciously impassioned high note on which to go out, a way to let us rest easy and say, "Hey, thanks for coming; it wasn't that bad after all, was it?"

Despite the lightness of the sounds herein, these guys are reputed to be ear-splittingly loud live.

Kinski

Airs Above Your Station.
Released on Sub Pop last year, this album from the "krautrock" loving Seattle-ites is a dreamy, atmospheric indie-rock album, an indie-rock version of ambient music, if ambient music wasn't so drone-y and hopeless at times. Creating spacey, spacious soundscapes alongside nestling textures, Airs Above Your Station is the perfect record to slumber too. That is, until they break into the rock, startling you with some buzzing guitars and slamming rhythms, before helping you slip back into a trance (and once again doing it all over again). This is a sweet, but far from innocent record, equal parts dream-experimentation and rock 'n' roll. Definitely worth a listen.

#62875 by A Gruesome Discovery
Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:31 pm
ForceFed wrote:Akira Yamaoka

John 5

I agree- that is a really good guitar album. There's some technical problems with the backing tracks (timing-wise), but that's nitpicking. I do like MM at times, and John did some very interesting stuff on the last CD; most of the synth parts were actually highly-effected guitar, and it was a very synth-driven album. He never really got to flex his playing muscles in that band, but it was the sounds he made that were awesome.

#62877 by Jizz
Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:35 pm
RUSH - Fly by Night

This album is excellent, old style rock. You can hear who Iron Maiden, particularly songs like Remember Tomorrow and Strange World, were influenced by by listening to this bands older stuff. Fans of Led Zeppelin style stuff probably know of this band already anyway, it's not like they're totally unheard of, lol.

Kerbdog - Totally Switched

This is the bands first album which was released around 93/94 time. It has the grunge influence, but all the songs are catchy as hell as well as being heavy. They split then reformed as Wilt and apparantly they're back to Kerbdog again. Irish fellas too.

Forbidden - Twisted Into Form

One of the first records I ever bought. A very under-rated thrash album from 1990 which features Paul Bostaph (ex-Slayer) on drums. Excellent guitar work and excellent drumming, all you'd expect from a thrash band really...class though.

Ozric Tentacles - Pungent Effulgent

One of those bands that I very very rarely hear anyone talking about. Ozric Tentacles are not a metal band, so people looking for blast beats and raging guitar solos will be disappointed. If you enjoy chilling out to instrumental stuff with synthesizers, drums and guitar though THIS is your album. Songs like Phalarn Dawn and The Domes of G'bal are brilliant bedtime music, stick the CD on and prepare to relaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaax take a deeeeeeep breath and all that guff. It's all instrumental stuff, but you really really need to hear them. It really is excellent stuff.
There are shitloads of quality albums, but I can't be arsed typing every single one in!!!

You lot should also check out the following albums...

Tejas by ZZ Top - Blues/rock at its finest with brilliant guitar work and brilliant riffs.

Failure by Assemblage 23 - Electronica with dance beats but a gothy type feel due to the deep moody vocals. Catchy arsed tunes though.

Too many albums, so little motivation to type!!! :lol:

#62882 by ForceFed
Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:32 pm
Jizz wrote:RUSH - Fly by Night

This album is excellent, old style rock. You can hear who Iron Maiden, particularly songs like Remember Tomorrow and Strange World, were influenced by by listening to this bands older stuff. Fans of Led Zeppelin style stuff probably know of this band already anyway, it's not like they're totally unheard of, lol.

I've probably said this here before, but Rush are my favorite band, have been for years and years. However, if you're going to be introducing someone to them, I don't know if Fly By Night would be the best starting point. Granted, it's a fantastic album and really shows an incredible step in maturity from their self-titled (And Neil Peart-less) debut. But, in my opinion the album is Rush reaching for something that they're not quite ready to grasp. It's like they're feeling out new ground, with a new drummer who also writes the lyrics, i'm sure it was a big change and the obvious change of style from straight rock to a more progressive approach is a big factor, too. I just don't feel that they hit the nail directly on the head as they would with future albums (2112, A Farewell To Kings, the list goes on and on after that). I'd quicker reccomend A Farewell To Kings, I believe it to be their shining achievment of the 70's.

#62883 by thefillersweetcityjesus
Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:42 pm
ohhh now im interestedi n the john 5 thing because i love manson too...
ps the cover for dragonforce looks cool. I'll be sure to check out some of these albums