Follow the way Follow the way Holding mother
#67954 by King Fear
Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:34 am
There is some evidence for that:

- Most obviously, it was recorded by the same people that are Strapping.

- Devin did have business problems with Century Media at the time (until they renegotiated and eventually released "SYL" a couple of years later), so maybe he didn't want to release an album through them back then; because AFAIK, it's only the band name "Strapping Young Lad" that is "signed" to Century Media.

- The musical style is vastly different from all of Devin's other "solo" albums. Though it's also not quite the same as Strapping's usual style, it is not that far removed from it. Actually, some songs would fit seamlessly onto a Strapping album. Maybe it would be fair to say that it's Strapping with some lighter parts thrown in, and a long atmospheric "Devin solo" piece at the end.

#67960 by Olive?
Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:03 am
Maybe you're right.

I've always seen Physicist as a half-way between Dev's solo stuff and SYL.

#67961 by asparagusDuck
Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:05 am
This is just my opinion but I don't think it sounds that close to Strapping Young Lad. You bring up some interesting points tho, who knows.

#67966 by 21st Century Jesus
Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:08 am
sometime Dev said that Physicist "is the coke light version of SYL", and thats pretty much what it is, cause Dev said that himself and also made the album, so cheers.

#67999 by hairy
Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:13 pm
It was supposed to be a SYL album ,but it ended "too light" for being labelled under the SYL sticker. So it ended as a solo project.
It was really supposed to ba a SYL album though.

#68013 by Archetype
Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:01 pm
Well, on the audio commentary he just says that he made Physicist because he was really fed-up with the recording of Infinity, which took ... ages to finish.
So, it's a record which probably has been written pretty fast, and recorded in a short time.
It's not Strapping, it's just Devin opening his frustration-vents.

#68104 by Janne
Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:48 am
hairy wrote:It was supposed to be a SYL album ,but it ended "too light" for being labelled under the SYL sticker. So it ended as a solo project.

I don't buy that. Where did you hear this?

#68123 by steve_dave
Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:56 am
i always heard rumours that there was supposed to be an SYL album before 'SYL'. i always kinda saw physicist as that to be honest.

#68132 by Blazingmonga
Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:38 am
I seem to remember Dev saying how some of the material was written originally with SYL in mind, but that it evolved into its own thing.

I dont think of it as SYL-lite at all, Physicist is unique.

#68157 by IBrokeAString
Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:33 am
very unique! in fact it sticks out like a sore thumb out of that discography. I wuv it wewwy mucho!

#68182 by ForceFed
Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:43 pm
I think I remember reading Devy saying that it (Physicist) was like an syl album without the negative vibe, or the aggression. Probably not his exact words, but I think it's easy to see that they're very similar. I consider Physicist to be what SYL would be if they suddenly cheered up a bit. :lol:

#68187 by hairy
Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:03 pm
Janne wrote:
hairy wrote:It was supposed to be a SYL album ,but it ended "too light" for being labelled under the SYL sticker. So it ended as a solo project.

I don't buy that. Where did you hear this?

Dev said it at the time.
It was really supposed to be a SYL album.

#68361 by Janne
Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:29 pm
It doesn't feel like SYL, though. Not even musically. Imo, it has more to do with Terria or Infinity...

#68362 by hairy
Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:40 pm
Janne wrote:It doesn't feel like SYL, though. Not even musically. Imo, it has more to do with Terria or Infinity...

That is why it didn't ended as a SYL album...