Talk about whatever you want to here, but stay correct
#291330 by Lettuce
Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:01 pm
I'm considering giving salt beef a go. Could Mr Rhomboid advise me on how he'd go about it before he scolds my efforts?
#291356 by Billy Rhomboid
Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:02 pm
Lettuce wrote:I'm considering giving salt beef a go. Could Mr Rhomboid advise me on how he'd go about it before he scolds my efforts?

I would make a brine using 2 lbs sea salt and 1lb of sugar (any will do, soft brown would be my choice) to a gallon of water, plus ahndful each of peppercorns, juniper berries and cloves, a few bay leaves, some fresh thyme, maybe a few star anise if you fancy. Bring it all to the boil and then let it cool to outdoor temperature - between 2 and 6 degrees in a non metallic container. Use a nice piece of brisket, obviously the better the joint you start with the beter the result will be. Put the brisket in the brine and weigh it down so it is completely submerged. Leave it for up to a week if it is less than 3kg, 10-12 days if more. Still at 2-6C.

Then soak it for 24 hours before cooking, changing the water every 8 hours. Stick it in a pot of cold water with a bouquet garni, some celery, a carrot, an onion, a leek and a whole head of garlic sliced across the middle. Bring to the boil then simmer for 2 1/2 -3 hrs depending on size. If you have a meat thermometer you are lookng for an internal temperature of 75C. If you are going to eat it cold, let it cool in the cooking liquor.

Or you go could make pastrami with it.
#291359 by Lettuce
Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:26 pm
Coooooooool chars, I have most of that stuff about so I'll give it a whirl and post my results at some point.

On the subject of food, I have a tiny lemon tree in my greenhouse and grew lemons! They were very unlike shop-bought...in that they were totally edible without squirmyface.
#291364 by Abydost
Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:53 pm
Billy Rhomboid wrote:
Lettuce wrote:I'm considering giving salt beef a go. Could Mr Rhomboid advise me on how he'd go about it before he scolds my efforts?

I would make a brine using 2 lbs sea salt and 1lb of sugar (any will do, soft brown would be my choice) to a gallon of water, plus ahndful each of peppercorns, juniper berries and cloves, a few bay leaves, some fresh thyme, maybe a few star anise if you fancy. Bring it all to the boil and then let it cool to outdoor temperature - between 2 and 6 degrees in a non metallic container. Use a nice piece of brisket, obviously the better the joint you start with the beter the result will be. Put the brisket in the brine and weigh it down so it is completely submerged. Leave it for up to a week if it is less than 3kg, 10-12 days if more. Still at 2-6C.

Then soak it for 24 hours before cooking, changing the water every 8 hours. Stick it in a pot of cold water with a bouquet garni, some celery, a carrot, an onion, a leek and a whole head of garlic sliced across the middle. Bring to the boil then simmer for 2 1/2 -3 hrs depending on size. If you have a meat thermometer you are lookng for an internal temperature of 75C. If you are going to eat it cold, let it cool in the cooking liquor.

Or you go could make pastrami with it.

This sounds quite epic and tasty
#291547 by Faffy
Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:45 am
Oooh, smalahove? 8)
#292110 by Lettuce
Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:39 am
Just made eggnog with congnac, it took me like 15 minutes to make and 15 minutes to drink. Dear GOD it was nom.
#292137 by Mika
Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:38 pm
Had purple mash for dinner...PURPLE =)
#292140 by Lettuce
Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:48 pm
Purple Majestics are purple spuds! They got a soft nutty flavour and sound like something from Ann Summers C:
#292334 by Mika
Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:47 am
They were indeed purple majestics, I'm not sure why they're purple; whether it be natural or otherwise. But the water they boiled in was indigo and they stained the saucepan blue! :mrgreen:
#292337 by Lettuce
Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:16 am
FANTASTIC!

I've cracked open the Morgan's. I know it's not food, but this Christmas I shall mostly have a liquid diet.