The place to speak about Ryan Van Poederooyen projects

#85734 by Drumdude13
Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:58 am
IamaFlukeintheworld wrote:ACTUALLY...

That's frickin Brilliant !

Hey Ryan is there any chance of say the DTB doing a open kind of jam thing perhaps here in Vancouver during the recording sessions ? I know it is not normal by any means but Dev and the DTB aren't exactly a normal band. They have a conection with their fans that is truly unreal and totaly special...

What do ya think ?

That would be something that is totally up to Dev......

The only problem this time around is time....we don't have much ! Dev is going every single day on this album and we don't exactly have all the time we would like to have for this album.

It (the album) will get done the way Dev wants it but there are going to be some very long hours in order to achieve this.

So in the end, it would be very difficult to make your suggestion come true, this time around......but you're right .....we are'nt a normal band and we love our fans ! Who knows what we could do in the future, no promises, but you never know with us !

RVP

#92503 by Goat
Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:47 am
OK, now it's inevitable. What's your opinion on Shitstorm? Would you also have to put weights on your legs to pull it off?

Hails from Slovenia!

#92576 by Drumdude13
Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:27 pm
Goat wrote:OK, now it's inevitable. What's your opinion on Shitstorm? Would you also have to put weights on your legs to pull it off?

Hails from Slovenia!

Shitstorm...my opinion....

OK, you asked...

When I first heard this song.... it was actually a little too much for me to take in at the time. I thought "Dev has gone too far this time !" :lol: Shitstorm was the hardest song for me to get into on "Alien". After listening to it countless times.....I got it ! To this day, that song has grown to be one of my fave SYL tunes EVER ! I think the tune is absolutely brutal, chaotic and exactly what SYL is all about....extreme metal that no-one else does better IMO.

As far as the drumming on that song. It's a no brainer that Shitstorm is the craziest thing Gene has layed down on the drums to date. It showcases what the man can do in the "Thrash Metal Genre" and it shows that he is one of the best Metal Drummers out there with the likes of guys like Flo Mounier and Thomas Haake among many others.

As far as me pulling it off..... YES I think I could do it, I would need ankle weights as well and a shitload of practice from where I am now ! :lol: The fastest thing I've layed down on a recording is 209bpm on a song titled "The Genetic Failure" from the Non-Human Level album. I layed down some fast double kick that required tons of warming up in the studio. I only play about a 35 second passage in that song at that speed. There is alot more fast double kick work on that album as well but not at 209bpm. Gene plays whole fucking songs at that speed :shock: Big difference ! Daddy'O has got that shit down. I could have the constant-fast-double-kick-thing down with more practice and dedication but it has'nt really been called for yet and I don't know if it ever will be. If it ever is....I'm up for a challenge at all times :twisted:

I also have some pretty fast kick work in a couple spots on the new DTB record "Synchestra" as well, only a couple short spurts but they're fast !

Hope this long answer, answers your question bro !

RVP

#92628 by Goat
Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:08 am
Drumdude13 wrote:When I first heard this song.... it was actually a little too much for me to take in at the time. I thought "Dev has gone too far this time !" :lol: Shitstorm was the hardest song for me to get into on "Alien". After listening to it countless times.....I got it ! To this day, that song has grown to be one of my fave SYL tunes EVER ! I think the tune is absolutely brutal, chaotic and exactly what SYL is all about....extreme metal that no-one else does better IMO.

Oh man does this sound familiar! The song is pure evil. I can't listen to it without a grimace on my face. The vocal arrangements are totally fucked up, and over triplet feels and Gene's assaults ... extremely brutal and yes, that's SYL, I couldn't agree more.

Drumdude13 wrote:As far as the drumming on that song. It's a no brainer that Shitstorm is the craziest thing Gene has layed down on the drums to date. It showcases what the man can do in the "Thrash Metal Genre" and it shows that he is one of the best Metal Drummers out there with the likes of guys like Flo Mounier and Thomas Haake among many others.

As far as me pulling it off..... YES I think I could do it, I would need ankle weights as well and a shitload of practice from where I am now ! :lol: The fastest thing I've layed down on a recording is 209bpm on a song titled "The Genetic Failure" from the Non-Human Level album. I layed down some fast double kick that required tons of warming up in the studio. I only play about a 35 second passage in that song at that speed. There is alot more fast double kick work on that album as well but not at 209bpm. Gene plays whole fucking songs at that speed :shock: Big difference ! Daddy'O has got that shit down. I could have the constant-fast-double-kick-thing down with more practice and dedication but it has'nt really been called for yet and I don't know if it ever will be. If it ever is....I'm up for a challenge at all times :twisted:

I also have some pretty fast kick work in a couple spots on the new DTB record "Synchestra" as well, only a couple short spurts but they're fast !

Hope this long answer, answers your question bro !

RVP

Hehe, does it? :twisted: No seriously, you ARE the coolest band member to date, hahaha. Thank you so much for the answer, I like elaborated stuff. But ...

there's more! :D

Gene's physique is so unique (with the famous words of EphelDuath666: "note to myself: nice wordplay, dork") that he had to developed the technique (god damn it :evil: ) of playing from the ankles. I saw a couple of your vids and you are much more physical with the whole body. If you were ever to attempt playing Shitstorm, would you have to adapt your double kick technique for such high speeds (besides ankle weights) because I imagine there's just no time for moving the whole legs?

Cheers man :!: