The place to speak about Ryan Van Poederooyen projects
#97962 by Drumdude13
Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:23 am
Hey Everyone,

So, as most of you know on this board, I played drums on Non-human Level. It's Christofer Malmstroms (Darkane) solo album in whihc I played drums, Peter Wildoer (Darkanes Drummer) sang and Gustaf Hielm (now ex-Meshuggah) played Bass.

The crazy thing about this project is that we have never met !!!! I learn't and did all my drum parts here in Vancouver to a click track, while they recorded everything else in Sweden. It was crazy but it worked very well in the end.

Anyways, I finally, after two years of internet relations, was able to meet 2 of the other 3 members...... Peter and Chrstofer from Darkane. They were on the Fear Factory "Category 5" Tour with SYL and Soilwork as well. It was a long time coming......here's my detailed story of the meeting that day.......

The Meeting.......in great detail....... :lol: :lol: :lol:

They called me at about Noon when they got in town. I hooked up with them at their tour bus and I took them to dowtown Vancouver for some shopping (mainly for their wives !!!) and some good food. I took them to a place called Milestones (My fave Restaurant in town !), they loved it. Did more shopping. We were catching up the whole time, it was very cool. Then we started back to the venue for their souncheck. When we got there, they still were an hour away from checking, so we decided to head back onto the bus and listen to Non-Human Level in all it's glory for the first time together.

It was an amazing hour of listening to the album. Speed (Vocalist) and Dirk (Drummer) from Soilwork came in and listened to the album with us as well, they both love the NHL record. Dirk especially loved it, his other band Scarve is signed to Listenable Records (NHL's Label) as well, so he got a promo copy a while ago and has loved it ever since. It was an honour to have the Soilwork guy's have nice things to say about the album and my drumming. Dirk loved the drumming and I did'nt know what to say, it was such a compliment coming from him !!! Dirk is a fucking madman behind the kit, simply amazing, I have tons of respect for him on the kit and as a person. Both him and Speed were such cool guys, it was cool hanging with them. Swedish people in general are amazing people :lol: The Soilwork and Darkane guys are also HUGE fans of the DTB and especially Synchestra. Dev showed it to them on tour. Dev even told me that after their first listen, they kept on asking to hear the album again and again......very cool !!!! They all went off about how much they love Synchestra to me.....very cool huh ! It's awesome to hear such kind words from other cool bands.

As far as listening to the album with Christofer...it was so cool. We would take turns telling stories on how certain parts were harder than others. How I would play a part to Christofers guitar part or how he changed his guitar part to fit my drums. Tons of stories about Gustaf Hilem's amazing Bass playing (He did all the Bass tracks in a day !!!). We also talked about Peter singing for the first time (as a lead singer) and doing an amazing job of it. So much was said but the coolest thing about that hour of listening, was the amount of respect for eachother. It is truly an honour to play with such talented musicians and amazing people like these guys. These guy's could easily be my best friends if they lived here. Peter and I are so alike, even Christofer said that :lol: It was a really cool experience !

Next.....it was showtime. I ended up video taping some of there show for them. Since they were first on, they only played 30 min's, but man, did they kick some Vancouver ass !!!! Killer show. They are tight as hell live. The nice thing to see was all the people who showed up early to see them, it was pretty packed in there for Darkane....very nice to see, they deserve it !

So the show went on. At one point during Fear Factorie's set, all the Darkane guys got hungry, so I took them to Uncle Phatty's Pizza on Brodway (10 minute walk from the Venue)...best Pizza in Vancouver IMO. They loved it, we caught up more and then I had to fly when Fear Factory was done. We took some quick Promo pic's for NHL and said our good-byes. It was actually sad to see them come and go so fast. They're great people and fun to hang out with, it would have been cool if they had a couple days to spend in Vancouver. I know I'll be seeing them again soon and you never know....NHL may do some live shows at one point. It's not forsure but it's definitely possible !!! We talked about it.

So that was it. Great time and nothing but amazing things to say about all the Darkane and Soilwork guy's as well. Swedish people are pretty damn cool ! If you have'nt seen Darkane live, make sure you go see them if they come to your town, it's worth ever penny, they're awesome ! Same goes for Soilwork, they kick so much ass as well !

Here are some pic's of the night ! Enjoy !

Me and Christofer Malmstrom

Me and Peter Wildoer

Me and Speed from Soilwork

Me and Dirk from Soilwork

Last but not least, Mike, Dave, Beavis, Myself Peter and Christofer !

RVP

PS... Peter, Christofer and Myself signed a promo copy of Non-Human Level. This will be given away soon on the next RVP Drums Forums Chatroom Contest/Giveaway ! Stay posted !!! Here's a pic of the actual signed CD to win.....good luck when the contest happens !

#97981 by hairy
Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:16 am
Didn't know Dirk was now playing with Soilwork...
The guy is a very talented drummer!!!!!!!
His work with Scarve is just killer!!!!
Some people call him the french Gene Hoglan!
Last edited by hairy on Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#97999 by mo
Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:27 am
That's a damn cool story. I was listening to Personal Hell and man I'd love to see this shit live.

#98205 by Olive?
Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:50 pm
I could KILL to see a show like that here in Italy!!!

#98224 by Noodles
Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:19 pm
Non-Human Level would be sweet live, pretty funny that you guys have never met before, I remember reading on the liner notes that it was recorded in Sweden/Vancouver and I was kinda like "wtf?"

You and Dirk should record a drum-off :). I wish I liked Soilwork's new album since his drumming is so sweet :oops:

#98735 by Drumdude13
Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:56 am
Noodles wrote:
You and Dirk should record a drum-off :).

No thanks :lol: :lol: :lol:

That guy would kill me !!!! He is an awesome drummer ! Such a cool guy too. Don't get me wrong, I can drum up plenty of crazy shit but Dirk is on another level forsure. Check out his other band Scarve :shock: and you'll know what I'm talking about, they're insane and the drumming is fucking incredible !!!!

RVP

#98736 by hairy
Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:14 pm
Drumdude13 wrote:
Noodles wrote:

That guy would kill me !!!! He is an awesome drummer ! Such a cool guy too. Don't get me wrong, I can drum up plenty of crazy shit but Dirk is on another level forsure. Check out his other band Scarve :shock: and you'll know what I'm talking about, they're insane and the drumming is fucking incredible !!!!

RVP

Dirk is very talented indeed!

And you are too!

Just different styles!

#99265 by Noodles
Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:30 pm
Drumdude13 wrote:
Noodles wrote:

RVP
Yea I've heard Scarve... I swear he could record an album of just him drumming and it would still be awesome

#100969 by EternalMetal
Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:15 pm
Drumdude13 wrote:
Noodles wrote:

RVP

I think you underestimate your drumming. I rate you among the best, and think that you could give almost any drummer out there a run for their money. Your one of my top drummers, and its definitely not cause your part of the DTB :lol:

And I love Dirk's job on the new Soilwork album, I almost soiled myself when I first heard it :oops: I know, lame joke, but it had to be said :lol: