The place to speak about Ryan Van Poederooyen projects
#107175 by A-Daamage
Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:28 pm
Peter is my all-time favorite drummer and hearing him behind the mic is a something I'm still getting used to. The album is pretty sweet and does take a few listens to really get situated into.

I'm just curious if you had the time to shoot the shit with the other guys, and more importantly, have a drum-off with Peter! I saw the video Darkane posted of Peter's warm-up before recording, and holy hell, it's hard to believe that guy is human. His precision at the speed he plays is unreal. Now, hearing your performance on Non-Human Level, I'd like to see a drum solo war between you and Peter. Perhaps a video of said drum competition could be an easter egg for a future DTB DVD.... :twisted:

#107232 by djskrimp
Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:39 am
You know, with all these crazy movies about dancing competitions like "You Got Served" and "Breakin'", I'm thinking a drum-off would be awesome!! You could have Peter, Gene, Van Williams, Raymond Herrera and a host of others and have it in a arena....you could call it "You got Syl'ed"......what a glorious competition it would be.
#107420 by Drumdude13
Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:59 am
A-Daamage wrote:Peter is my all-time favorite drummer and hearing him behind the mic is a something I'm still getting used to. The album is pretty sweet and does take a few listens to really get situated into.

I'm just curious if you had the time to shoot the shit with the other guys, and more importantly, have a drum-off with Peter! I saw the video Darkane posted of Peter's warm-up before recording, and holy hell, it's hard to believe that guy is human. His precision at the speed he plays is unreal. Now, hearing your performance on Non-Human Level, I'd like to see a drum solo war between you and Peter. Perhaps a video of said drum competition could be an easter egg for a future DTB DVD.... :twisted:

Peter is damn amazing ! We spent the whole day together when he came to Vancouver with Darkane. Peter and I are very similar people. He's a really happy, chilled out dude. Both Peter and Christofer where the nicest guy's ! They felt like best buddies of mine after an hour of hanging out with them. Peter was very easy to get along with and had alot intreresting things to say about drumming and many other things. That was avery cool day, meeting those guy's and I can't wait to hook up and hang with them again sometime soon.

As far as Peter's drumming.... his approach to drumming is very similar to mine. Where as a guy like Gene Hoglan's approach is very different from mine. Peter and I like to use Specialty Cymbals (Splashes, China's, Bells) alot in our beats, fills and stuff. Peter and I can do the fast double kick stuff but we both really like to come up with progressive beats with lotsa' Cymbals. I'm a huge Tim Alexander (Primus) fan and he's my biggest influence for the way I drum. In the end, I find Peter and I are very similar...

As far as a drum off....Peter would kick my ass :lol: That guy is trained in alot more styles than I am and I know alot of stuff !!!!! He's truly amazing and I have lot's of respect for the guy. I'm definitely not shooting myself down but Peter is a little more advanced than I. That's cool...different stroked for different folks !

In the end, if Peter and I did a cool drum thing together where we played and solo'ed off eachothers grooves and stuff.... I think you would get a VERY entertaining Drum Seminar ! It would be very cool indeed !

RVP
#107601 by Olive?
Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:31 am
Drumdude13 wrote:In the end, if Peter and I did a cool drum thing together where we played and solo'ed off eachothers grooves and stuff.... I think you would get a VERY entertaining Drum Seminar ! It would be very cool indeed !

RVP

*Starts dreaming about that...*
#107718 by A-Daamage
Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:24 pm
Drumdude13 wrote:

In the end, if Peter and I did a cool drum thing together where we played and solo'ed off eachothers grooves and stuff.... I think you would get a VERY entertaining Drum Seminar ! It would be very cool indeed !

RVP

Future Darkane, Non-Human Level or DTB album perhaps....? :D

Seriously, that would be damn cool, and as far as I know, ground-breaking for an album. Has there ever been a drum solo trade-off on a metal recording? I honestly don't know.

I think it would be cool to incorporate the trade-off into actual music, not just a stop-all-other-instruments-and-let-us-show-off kind of thing. Hell, bring Gene into the mix too and have a three-way free-for-all and go crazy for a minute or two. And since the drums are generally recorded first on a mix, the music and riffs could be written around the improvised drum lines. Think of it: have all three sets facing the middle of the room so you all can see each other, hit the click track and record, and go nuts. I think it would be killer fun and would make a fantastic behind-the-scenes video clip for a DVD.

You know, SYL will be hitting the recording studio soon.... :twisted: