The infinite waltz, welcome home, ladies and gentlemen

#127221 by sj_2150
Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:19 am
Blazingmonga wrote:Fair point, though have you rememberd that Gene also played on Terria?

and physicist

#127243 by Noodles
Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:52 pm
I was actually thinking about this and wouldn't it be cool if Devin, or some other musician, took songs out of their discography and re-recorded them and made an album that flowed and sounded cohesive on its own. I think a band like Tool should do that as a sort of greatest hits, but not... because it would almost be like a whole new album.

#127254 by Josiah Tobin
Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:45 pm
Noodles wrote:I was actually thinking about this and wouldn't it be cool if Devin, or some other musician, took songs out of their discography and re-recorded them and made an album that flowed and sounded cohesive on its own. I think a band like Tool should do that as a sort of greatest hits, but not... because it would almost be like a whole new album.

It's been done. First Strike Still Deadly by Testament, for example-- Or New Testament by Exciter. (hehe. testament and testament)

#127256 by gurp13
Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:39 pm
Personally, and this is just my "totally-full-of-shit" opinion, but I don't think this is for real. I doubt highly that Dev would tell some random dude this at a show, no offense.

Second, let's say that part of the story is true. I strongly doubt Devin will actually re-record songs he's already put out on a commercial album. It's not like Infinity was a demo or something. Also, being as prolific and creative as he is, I think he'll come up with new stuff anyway and put that Infinity project on the back burner.

So, I could be totally wrong and may just have to fuck off but that's what I think.

#127292 by SouldrivenDevil
Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:37 pm
gurp13 wrote:Personally, and this is just my "totally-full-of-shit" opinion, but I don't think this is for real. I doubt highly that Dev would tell some random dude this at a show, no offense.

Second, let's say that part of the story is true. I strongly doubt Devin will actually re-record songs he's already put out on a commercial album. It's not like Infinity was a demo or something. Also, being as prolific and creative as he is, I think he'll come up with new stuff anyway and put that Infinity project on the back burner.

So, I could be totally wrong and may just have to fuck off but that's what I think.

No offense taken, I just asked about the original version of Infinity and that was the response I got. It's not like he went out of his way to tell me, I just asked him about it.

#127293 by Noodles
Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:40 pm
Josiah Tobin wrote:
Noodles wrote:I was actually thinking about this and wouldn't it be cool if Devin, or some other musician, took songs out of their discography and re-recorded them and made an album that flowed and sounded cohesive on its own. I think a band like Tool should do that as a sort of greatest hits, but not... because it would almost be like a whole new album.

It's been done. First Strike Still Deadly by Testament, for example-- Or New Testament by Exciter. (hehe. testament and testament)

Have any good bands done it?

#127295 by SouldrivenDevil
Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:28 pm
Noodles wrote:
Josiah Tobin wrote:

lol

I think ICP did this too with like a 30 song mix.

Still not good.

#127302 by SouldrivenDevil
Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:18 am
I don't know why this is so hard to believe, look at this interview, he mentions it in here too.

It has become clear during this conversation that Devin's motivation towards touring and rock-stardom aren't high. The New Black is their 5th album, which means that the band is now free from their contract with Century Media. Let me ask directly: will The New Black be the last SYL album?

D: I hope so. I believe so. I signed a 5 album contract with CM and this is now the 5th album. There's 5 albums. They are very happy and I've done my part. Next!

Now you can fully concentrate on the Devin Townsend Band?

D: Yeah, or something else. I'd like to do something that differs from them both. In a way I'd like to redo Infinity. Do it properly this time.

#127304 by Josiah Tobin
Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:11 am
Noodles wrote:
Josiah Tobin wrote:

Ouch! C'mon, Testament, man! :P

#127305 by SouldrivenDevil
Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:20 am
Josiah Tobin wrote:
Noodles wrote:
Josiah Tobin wrote:

Ouch! C'mon, Testament, man! :P

For real, Gene use to drum for them...I think

#127307 by Blazingmonga
Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:23 am
SouldrivenDevil wrote:I don't know why this is so hard to believe, look at this interview, he mentions it in here too.

It has become clear during this conversation that Devin's motivation towards touring and rock-stardom aren't high. The New Black is their 5th album, which means that the band is now free from their contract with Century Media. Let me ask directly: will The New Black be the last SYL album?

D: I hope so. I believe so. I signed a 5 album contract with CM and this is now the 5th album. There's 5 albums. They are very happy and I've done my part. Next!

D: Yeah, or something else. I'd like to do something that differs from them both. In a way I'd like to redo Infinity. Do it properly this time.

This is the interview I was thinking of. I just thought he meant do something like Infinity again, not redo the same album. Still, I hope that if he does decide to do this that it is different from the first version. Hopefully it will be, considering the original was so stressful to create.

Interesting stuff anyway, I hope we hear more about it.

#127308 by Josiah Tobin
Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:58 am
SouldrivenDevil wrote:For real, Gene use to drum for them...I think

On Demonic, yes.

#127342 by SouldrivenDevil
Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:58 pm
Blazingmonga wrote:
SouldrivenDevil wrote:I don't know why this is so hard to believe, look at this interview, he mentions it in here too.

This is the interview I was thinking of. I just thought he meant do something like Infinity again, not redo the same album. Still, I hope that if he does decide to do this that it is different from the first version. Hopefully it will be, considering the original was so stressful to create.

Interesting stuff anyway, I hope we hear more about it.

It would be slightly different, it would have OM and Star Child Rise REPLACEed and probably one more track.

Probably lose "Wild Colonial Boy" and another song in the process though.

I read something on here months ago about the original track listing.

#127344 by Yanko
Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:23 am
lose wild colonial boy?!
are you on crack, son?!